Understanding Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

jii

Understanding the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

I have difficult understanding the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji when I listen to it. Many have said learn Punjabi, but I guess its just like learning English, in that you will only incorporate the words that you use in everyday life. When I speak in Punjabi, its only usually at home but the conversations are not that technical which cross would many words or hardly any words in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Is there anything on the internet that could help one learn parts of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji in language form, rather than just reading it in English.

One of the things that I have found on the internet, which I advise everyone to visit is this link below. It is of the hukamnama which is updated everyday and provide a beautiful understand in both sanscipt and English form.

http://www.sikhnet.com/

At the end of day it takes effort

Try studying Punjabi as a language - like GCSE/ A levels

And read lot's of gurbani..

English translations are ok only for the beginning of this journey

Then u'll naturaly start linking punjabi words with their English meanings

AND THEN you'll realise how wrongly they are translated!

You begin to use encyclopeadia of Punjabi (Mahankosh) - which is AMAZING to find the meaning of any word in Gurbani (but its all in punjabi)

One day, it will just click to you - listening, reading Gurbani leads to understanding Gurbani.

All it takes is effort..

Whatever you do takes effort, you should make the effort to learn punjabi and be able to understand Gurbani. You can easily learn Punjabi if you put in about a months effort, thats minor compared to the understanding you will get after that. The best resource is a steek, read a couple of angs of Gurbani a day, and then slowly go through the steek to understand the arth, padarth, historical refferences and spiritual meanings. English translations only go so far. In time you will gain better understanding of Gurbani, the words and the meanings, and eventually you wont even need to refer to the steek, you will be able to understand as you listen to it.

I personally read the arth in various steeks, faridkot and prof sahib singh, and then read through the english translation. Compare meanings from different sources and it only helps you gain more understanding of the Gurbani, everyone has their own personal perception and its important to see Gurbani on different levels.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• Net pay after taxes. If you don't agree, think about this: If you were a trader and started off in China with silk that cost 100 rupees and came to India, and you had to pay total 800 rupees taxes at every small kingdom along the way, and then sold your goods for 1000 rupees, you'd have 100 rupees left, right? If your daswandh is on the gross, that's 100 rupees, meaning you have nothing left. Obviously, you owe only 10% of 100, not 10% of 1000. No, it's 10% before bills and other expenses. These expenses are not your expenses to earn money. They are consumption. If you are a business owner, you take out all expenses, including rent, shop electricity, cost of goods sold, advertising, and government taxes. Whatever is left is your profit and you owe 10% of that.  If you are an employee, you are also entitled to deduct the cost of earning money. That would be government taxes. Everything else is consumption.    
    • No, bro, it's simply not true that no one talks about Simran. Where did you hear that? Swingdon? The entire Sikh world talks about doing Simran, whether it's Maskeen ji, Giani Pinderpal Singh, Giani Kulwant Singh Jawaddi, or Sants. So what are you talking about? Agreed. Agreed. Well, if every bani were exactly the same, then why would Guru ji even write anything after writing Japji Sahib? We should all enjoy all the banis. No, Gurbani tells you to do Simran, but it's not just "the manual". Gurbani itself also has cleansing powers. I'm not saying not to do Simran. Do it. But Gurbani is not merely "the manual". Reading and singing Gurbani is spiritually helpful: ਪ੍ਰਭ ਬਾਣੀ ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁਭਾਖਿਆ ॥  ਗਾਵਹੁ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਪੜਹੁ ਨਿਤ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੈ ਤੂ ਰਾਖਿਆ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ The Lord's Bani and the words are the best utterances. Ever sing hear and recite them, O brother and the Perfect Guru shall save thee. Pause. p611 Here Guru ji shows the importance of both Bani and Naam: ਆਇਓ ਸੁਨਨ ਪੜਨ ਕਉ ਬਾਣੀ ॥ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਿਸਾਰਿ ਲਗਹਿ ਅਨ ਲਾਲਚਿ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਜਨਮੁ ਪਰਾਣੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ The mortal has come to hear and utter Bani. Forgetting the Name thou attached thyself to other desires. Vain is thy life, O mortal. Pause. p1219 Are there any house manuals that say to read and sing the house manual?
    • All of these are suppositions, bro. Linguists know that, generally, all the social classes of a physical area speak the same language, though some classes may use more advanced vocabulary. I'm talking about the syntax. That is, unless the King is an invader, which Porus was not. When you say Punjabi wasn't very evolved, what do you mean? The syntax must have been roughly the same. As for vocabulary, do you really think Punjabis at the time did nothing more than grunt to express their thoughts? That they had no shades of meaning? Such as hot/cold, red/yellow/blue, angry/sweet/loving/sad, etc? Why must we always have an inferiority complex?
    • I still think about that incident now and then, just haven't heard any developments regarding what happened, just like so many other things that have happened in Panjab!
    • There was a young Singh from abroad who went to Anandpur Sahib Hola and got into a fight with some Punjabis who were playing loud non-religious music. He had bana and a weapon or two. There were more of them than him.  He ended up losing his life. Don't be like that. Not worth it to fight manmukhs. @californiasardar1 ਮੂਰਖੈ ਨਾਲਿ ਨ ਲੁਝੀਐ ॥੧੯॥ Argue not with a fool. p473

Important Information

Terms of Use