Understanding Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

jii

Understanding the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

I have difficult understanding the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji when I listen to it. Many have said learn Punjabi, but I guess its just like learning English, in that you will only incorporate the words that you use in everyday life. When I speak in Punjabi, its only usually at home but the conversations are not that technical which cross would many words or hardly any words in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Is there anything on the internet that could help one learn parts of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji in language form, rather than just reading it in English.

One of the things that I have found on the internet, which I advise everyone to visit is this link below. It is of the hukamnama which is updated everyday and provide a beautiful understand in both sanscipt and English form.

http://www.sikhnet.com/

At the end of day it takes effort

Try studying Punjabi as a language - like GCSE/ A levels

And read lot's of gurbani..

English translations are ok only for the beginning of this journey

Then u'll naturaly start linking punjabi words with their English meanings

AND THEN you'll realise how wrongly they are translated!

You begin to use encyclopeadia of Punjabi (Mahankosh) - which is AMAZING to find the meaning of any word in Gurbani (but its all in punjabi)

One day, it will just click to you - listening, reading Gurbani leads to understanding Gurbani.

All it takes is effort..

Whatever you do takes effort, you should make the effort to learn punjabi and be able to understand Gurbani. You can easily learn Punjabi if you put in about a months effort, thats minor compared to the understanding you will get after that. The best resource is a steek, read a couple of angs of Gurbani a day, and then slowly go through the steek to understand the arth, padarth, historical refferences and spiritual meanings. English translations only go so far. In time you will gain better understanding of Gurbani, the words and the meanings, and eventually you wont even need to refer to the steek, you will be able to understand as you listen to it.

I personally read the arth in various steeks, faridkot and prof sahib singh, and then read through the english translation. Compare meanings from different sources and it only helps you gain more understanding of the Gurbani, everyone has their own personal perception and its important to see Gurbani on different levels.