Not Saints, But Saint-soldiers Now

NOT SAINTS, BUT SAINT-SOLDIERS NOW

Jahangir had come to believe that Guru Arjan Dev was a deadly danger to Islam The Emperor was eager to force all non-Muslims to become Muslims But the Guru's teachings were making even Muslims give up Islam and become Sikhs. Jahangir thought, 'Islam has to be saved. The Guru's activities must end. He must die’

Hence, he had ordered that the Guru be killed with tortures The Guru was tortured for four hot summer days. He was seated and boiled in boiling water. He was made to sit on red-hot iron plates, heated from below. Red hot burning sand was poured on his head He bore all this without a groan, cry, or curse. Exposed to all this hellish heat, he remained composed, cool, and calm. On the fifth day his body was thrown into the Ravi. It was too weak to stand against the river's swift current. It was washed away. He himself returned to God.

Thus did Guru Arjan lay down his life for his faith. He became a martyr. He was the first Sikh martyr. No one else in the whole wide world has ever borne so much and so well for his faith. Hence, he has been rightly called ‘The Prince among Martyrs and the Ocean of Calm.’

The news of Guru Arjan's martyrdom reached Amritsar. Guru Har Gobind was sad, but he did not give himself up to grief. He kept perfectly calm. He said, ‘Let Granth Sahib be read. Baba Budha will do the reading. Let ragis (musicians) sing the Guru's hymns.’

The singing of hymns and the reading of the Granth Sahib lasted for ten days. Then prayers were offered and sacred food (karah parshad) was distributed.

After that, the ceremony of seating Guru Har Gobind on the Guru's throne was performed. Baba Budha dressed him in new clothes. He then led him to the throne.

Guru Har Gobind took his seat on it Then Baba Budha placed before him a seli. He requested him to wear it as a mark of Guruship.

post-2-1189959397.jpg

Now, what was a seli? Seli was a woollen cord or string. Holy men used to wear it as a necklace some of them used to twist it round their heads. The first rive Sikh Gurus had used the seli as a necklace or twisted it round their head-dress.

When Baba Budha placed the seli before Guru Har Gobind, the latter said, 'The times have changed. The seli will not do now. It suits such saints or holy men as want to worship God in peace. But there is no peace for us now. Our enemies are bent upon finishing us. They are determined to root out our religion. We have to defend ourselves. We have to defend our faith. From now on, the Sikhs should be not only saints, but soldiers also. They should be saint-soldiers. They should worship God not only in huts and temples, but also in the fields of battle. Your Gurus have to lead and guide you. Hence, from now on, not the seli but the sword will be the mark of Guruship. The Guru has to lead and guide you in times of peace as well as in times of war. He has to be your leader in religious as well as in worldly matters. As a mark of this two-fold duty, I shall wear two swords. That on the right side will be the sword of piri - the mark of my being your leader and guide in religious matters. The one on the left will be the sword of miri, the mark of my being your leader and guide in worldly matters. That was why my father got me trained as a soldier, too. Let my Sikhs learn riding and use of all arms. Horses and arms should be their offerings to the Guru.

Baba Budha did as desired. Guru Har Gobind put on the two swords of miri and piri He came to be called Miri Piri Da Malik or the Sikhs' guide in worldly as well as in religious affairs the seli was placed in the treasury.

Source : Stories from Sikh History Book III

• 9 months later...
NOT SAINTS, BUT SAINT-SOLDIERS NOW

Jahangir had come to believe that Guru Arjan Dev was a deadly danger to Islam The Emperor was eager to force all non-Muslims to become Muslims But the Guru's teachings were making even Muslims give up Islam and become Sikhs. Jahangir thought, 'Islam has to be saved. The Guru's activities must end. He must die'

Hence, he had ordered that the Guru be killed with tortures The Guru was tortured for four hot summer days. He was seated and boiled in boiling water. He was made to sit on red-hot iron plates, heated from below. Red hot burning sand was poured on his head He bore all this without a groan, cry, or curse. Exposed to all this hellish heat, he remained composed, cool, and calm. On the fifth day his body was thrown into the Ravi. It was too weak to stand against the river's swift current. It was washed away. He himself returned to God.

Thus did Guru Arjan lay down his life for his faith. He became a martyr. He was the first Sikh martyr. No one else in the whole wide world has ever borne so much and so well for his faith. Hence, he has been rightly called 'The Prince among Martyrs and the Ocean of Calm.'

The news of Guru Arjan's martyrdom reached Amritsar. Guru Har Gobind was sad, but he did not give himself up to grief. He kept perfectly calm. He said, 'Let Granth Sahib be read. Baba Budha will do the reading. Let ragis (musicians) sing the Guru's hymns.'

The singing of hymns and the reading of the Granth Sahib lasted for ten days. Then prayers were offered and sacred food (karah parshad) was distributed.

After that, the ceremony of seating Guru Har Gobind on the Guru's throne was performed. Baba Budha dressed him in new clothes. He then led him to the throne.

Guru Har Gobind took his seat on it Then Baba Budha placed before him a seli. He requested him to wear it as a mark of Guruship.

post-2-1189959397.jpg

Now, what was a seli? Seli was a woollen cord or string. Holy men used to wear it as a necklace some of them used to twist it round their heads. The first rive Sikh Gurus had used the seli as a necklace or twisted it round their head-dress.

When Baba Budha placed the seli before Guru Har Gobind, the latter said, 'The times have changed. The seli will not do now. It suits such saints or holy men as want to worship God in peace. But there is no peace for us now. Our enemies are bent upon finishing us. They are determined to root out our religion. We have to defend ourselves. We have to defend our faith. From now on, the Sikhs should be not only saints, but soldiers also. They should be saint-soldiers. They should worship God not only in huts and temples, but also in the fields of battle. Your Gurus have to lead and guide you. Hence, from now on, not the seli but the sword will be the mark of Guruship. The Guru has to lead and guide you in times of peace as well as in times of war. He has to be your leader in religious as well as in worldly matters. As a mark of this two-fold duty, I shall wear two swords. That on the right side will be the sword of piri - the mark of my being your leader and guide in religious matters. The one on the left will be the sword of miri, the mark of my being your leader and guide in worldly matters. That was why my father got me trained as a soldier, too. Let my Sikhs learn riding and use of all arms. Horses and arms should be their offerings to the Guru.

Baba Budha did as desired. Guru Har Gobind put on the two swords of miri and piri He came to be called Miri Piri Da Malik or the Sikhs' guide in worldly as well as in religious affairs the seli was placed in the treasury.

Source : Stories from Sikh History Book III

Amazing pasage. In Sikh history the dieing on the battlefield is a very distinguished topic for religious texts in sikh religion. Sri Hargobind Sahib Ji to Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jis armies did not die merely an ordinary warriors death. The persians, yes the persians called the sikh warriors more feared then the greeks, spartans, mongols, great khans, and romans. The persians who conquered the world for nearly a 1000 years said that these sikhs are the size of 50 men. The persians hated the sikhs, they tried to persecute the sikhs for our religion. The persians were mongols at the time, along with Timiriuds and Turks. The mughals were part of the mongol army. The muslims did horrible things, but they were great warriors. But just how great an empire or person can stand by doing bad things to innocent people? It is to punish such horrible rulers who execute teenage girls that God sends warriors like Akalis to earth to punish these tryants. I will tell you one thing when Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji came and started the military army of modern Akalis. I remeber that every king, mughal, mongol, rajput, hindu rajas, pathan, persians, iranians, afghan turks, indo-turks, or any king that ever faught his immortals, they either were killed in the first battle, or they came to him and apologized. Guru Jis army, yes the same Guru Ji use GurSikhs bow to with tears of joy in our eyes, army showed the greatest act of bravery and power in one battle. When the Chali Mukte stood and fought mongols or mughals. 1 million mughals fell to the ground elephant after elephant soldier after soldier to the 7ft swords of the flamished, fearlesss and most importantly immortal sikhs. In 72 hours 1/10th of the mughals fled in battle. Their general was soo horriified at the power of the Akali Jis, and the amount of shevvered legs and arms of the mughal warriors, he began to cry, he would not step out to the battlefield. The 40 immortals brought down 500 000 mughal imperial soldiers, 1 lakh fled in battle. The mughals were horrified at the scene that there king sent his son to bow to Guru Ji. It took 100 000 soldiers to surronde and bring down Baba Jujhar Singh Ji. The Sikhs onlyyy were the only warriors that enemy armies could not and would not fight 1 on 1. They had at least 10 000 enemy soldiers for every sikh warrior. From Akalis to Nihangs, to GurSikhs who brought fear into the heart of the Ottaman empire. Sikhs were strongest at the time of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jis army. "Our master is the one who conquers death" "Let them die such a death" Never to die an orindary warriors death, they were immortals. Why fall after an arrow has cut through you're neck, when you can stand after you're head has hit the ground. Now i am not just making things up, a lot of this was written in Paat.

Crack troops, powerful and unconquerable, in sharp colors and capable of crushing the enemy;

Such pride and ego that mountains may fly away, but they will not budge from the battlefield;

Tearing up the revolting enemies, twisting their necks, smashing even the mad elephants;

Yet without His grace, they will meet their worldly end empty handed.

Guru Gobind Singh (DG p. 14)

Countless brave soldiers, ever-ready to face the sword's edge;

So many countries conquered, rebels subjugated, wild elephants crushed;

Powerful forts they smash, the world now bows to their mere threat;

Yet God alone is the supreme Commander, at His door they stand as beggars.

Guru Gobind Singh (DG p. 14)

They sent their elephants, united as tall as the sky, but even they fell to the ground one by one.

Not even arrows can match their speed. Notify you're king to bring sava lakh (125 000) for every 1 Akali.

Be sure, they will never shoot an arrow at you're back, no they praise the creators name.

Never has the rain touched such massive weapons. Never has the sky weapt as much as it had when 1 of the immortals leaves the earth.

Army after army, empire after empire when will the Akalis be stopped? If 1 lakh attacks a loved one, they will not be able to cause harm to him.

You're army falls like rain from the sky when you go face to face with real warriors.

After you're army has made countless kings bow to you, it is you who bows to their leader (God) in the heartland of the Akalis

Akalis are close to no one. They never marry. There only purpose is to fight for Truth. They came to the earth with sheer power.

There home is the battlefield. Their leader is the one who conquers death. The master of the universe. The one God.

Do not waste you're time accumilated the land of the entire world, be sure if you cross the immortals, you're entire empire will fall like rain

They will rip through you're army in the heartland of you're kingdom. They fight for truth.

Why fight for land, when it will mean nothing to you when you leave the earth.

They fight for the true purpose

They are the ones who fight without heads.

They bow to no one other then the conquere of death.

They are the truest of warriors.

Thats a poem i wrote, its not that grammatically correct but i wrote it because i think it describes what Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jis army was.