Guru Nanak And Mecca

Did Guru Nanak Really Visits Mecca?

Guru Nanak Rotates mecca do you think??

A MUslim Brother told me that Guru Nanak Move towards mecca from karachi on boat to jeddah, with a muslim freind and his name was abdul Majeed at that time, as muslims are orthodox and not allow to enter person of other religon. Is this true??

Comment on all above with appropriate sources. Lets see whats the reply

Waitin!

A MUslim Brother told me that Guru Nanak Move towards mecca from karachi on boat to jeddah, with a muslim freind and his name was abdul Majeed at that time, as muslims are orthodox and not allow to enter person of other religon. Is this true??

Waitin!

errrr... YES, guruji did go mecca.... is there any need to ask?..... as far as i know, it wasnt a boat, they walked, and they were with mardanna.....

vjkk vjkf

Waitin!

errrr... YES, guruji did go mecca.... is there any need to ask?..... as far as i know, it wasnt a boat, they walked, and they were with mardanna.....

vjkk vjkf

The reason this has been brought up is because their are many views about it - many Muslims say Guru Sahib didn't go to Mecca because u must be a Muslim to be allowed to enter. But yeah, Guru Ji did go to mecca.

Birth of Sikhism

Professor Abdul Jaleel

The Review of Religions, March 1993

Sikhism is known as the religion founded by Guru Nanak who was born in 1469 A.D. It is commonly understood as a compromise between the teachings of Hinduism and Islam. But a careful study of Sikh traditions and relics of Sikhism lead to an irrefutable conclusion that Guru Nanak discarded the Hindu doctrines and assimilated the teachings of Islam to such an extent that Sikhism, in its pristine form, can be looked upon as a sect of Islam.

Baba Nanak, by birth, was a Hindu. The elasticity of Hinduism makes it difficult to draw a line, crossing which a man ceases to be a Hindu. Deficiency in one's beliefs in the doctrines of Hinduism can be compensated by one's way of living and customs. But if one mixes with Muslims to such an extent that he eats and drinks with them and publicly performs religious rites of Islam, one would never be tolerated by Hindu society. The whole history of Sikhism shows that its founder, though born a Hindu, mixed with Muslims, joined in their prayers and performed other Islamic obligations, all in public. He wore none of the marks of Hindus upon him. On the other hand, he dressed like a Muslim and had all the insignia of a Muslim faqir on him. He passed his days with Muslim pirs and saints and ate and drank with them. It was a Muslim sufi he constantly turned to for advice and there is not a single instance in his life which indicated that he bowed his head to a Hindu pandit. There are many places associated with his name, where he is known to have performed Chillas, Nanak's chilla at Sirsa, a small town in the Punjab, is an example. (Chilla is an Islamic form of meditation). Travelling through Muslim countries he reached Mecca where he performed Haj (pilgrimage) and is also known to have visited the holy city of Medina. His choicest friend during these travels was a Muslim, Sheikh Farid, in whose company he passed twelve years of his life. Baba Nanak, while on pilgrimage, dressed like a pilgrim, carried with him a stick, Quran, a prayer mat and a water jug for performing ablution. Even his first four successors are represented in pictures as Muslims, carrying rosaries in their hands.

Source

The writer of the article above believes Guru Sahib was a Muslim, which he wasn't, so maybe u can't really trust this, but that's what it says anyway.

After his first long journey, Guru Nanak returned home after twelve years of propagating his message. He then set out on a second journey traveling as far south as Sri Lanka. On his return north he founded a settlement known as Kartharpur (the Abode of God) on the western banks of the Ravi river. Guru Nanak would one day settle down here in his old age. It was also here that he met a young devotee who would later go on to serve five of the following Gurus, Baba Buddha (the revered old one). On his third great journey Guru Nanak traveled as far north as Tibet. Wherever Guru Nanak traveled he always wore a combination of styles worn by Hindu and Muslim holy men and was always asked whether he was a Hindu or Muslim. Guru Nanak visited Sheikh Ibrahim the muslim successor of Baba Farid the great Sufi dervish of the twelfth century at Ajodhan. When asked by Ibrahim which of the two religions was the true way to attain God, Guru Nanak replied; "If there is one God, then there is only His way to attain Him, not another. One must follow that way and reject the other. Worship not him who is born only to die, but Him who is eternal and is contained in the whole universe."

On his fourth great journey in life Guru Nanak dressed in the blue garb of a Muslim pilgrim traveled to the west and visited Mecca, Medina and Baghdad. Arriving at Mecca, Guru Nanak fell asleep with his feet pointing towards the holy Kabba. When the watchman on his night rounds noticed this he kicked the Guru, saying, "How dare you turn your feet towards the house of God". At this Guru Nanak woke up and said, "Good man, I am weary after a long journey. Kindly turn my feet in the direction where God is not." When pilgrims and the holy men of the shrine gathered to hear Guru Nanak and question him, he sang in Persian;

"I beseech you, O Lord! pray grant me a hearing. You are the truthful, the great, the merciful, and the faultless Creator. I know for certain, this world must perish, And death must come, I know this and nothing else. Neither wife, nor son, nor father, nor brothers shall be able to help. I must go in the end, none can undo what is my fate. I have spend days and nights in vanity, contemplating evil. Never have I thought of good; this is what I am. I am ill-starred, miserly, careless, short-sighted, and rude. But says Nanak, I am yours, the dust of the feet of your servants." (Tilang)

Source

If Guru Ji didn't visit mecca, where did this come from?

The story of Guru Nanak going to Mecca comes from the Janamsakhis; a collection of largely apocryphal fables with little or no historical legitimacy. (Indeed, this is one of the reasons they are rejected in the Tat Khalsa cannon).

Unless a story from the Janamsakhis can be historically verified, it is probably rubbish. For example, we know that Guru Nanak went to Baghdad (there is an inscription on a wall in the city that commemorates his visit), but there is no evidence for him going further than that.

The story about the ‘revolving kabba’ is fictitious and shouldn’t be given credence because (a) it’s not true because he never went to Mecca (b) as we know, only Muslims enter Mecca and © Muslims use this fact to tell everyone that was a Musulman.

So let us stop repeating this embarrassingly inaccurate story.

The story of Guru Nanak going to Mecca comes from the Janamsakhis; a collection of largely apocryphal fables with little or no historical legitimacy. (Indeed, this is one of the reasons they are rejected in the Tat Khalsa cannon).

Actually thats not correct, Guru Ji going to Mecca is also mentioned in Bhai Gudas Ji diya Vaaran, which were written at the time of Guru Arjen Dev Ji & Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji.

This should clear your doubts, a // from Bhai Gurdas ji who is considered a saint so he would know the truth, so us blind fools should not doubt the spiritually awakened saint:

Vaar 1 Pauri 32 At Mecca

ਬਾਬਾ ਫਿਰਿ ਮੱਕੇ ਗਇਆ ਨੀਲ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਧਾਰੇ ਬਨਵਾਰੀ ।

Donning blue attire then Baba Nanak went to Mecca.

ਆਸਾ ਹਥਿ ਕਿਤਾਬ ਕਛਿ ਕੂਜਾ ਬਾਂਗ ਮੁਸੱਲਾ ਧਾਰੀ ।

He held staff in his hand, pressed a book under his armpit, caught hold of a metal pot and mattress.

ਬੈਠਾ ਜਾਇ ਮਸੀਤ ਵਿਚਿ ਜਿਥੈ ਹਾਜੀ ਹਜਿ ਗੁਜਾਰੀ ।

Now he sat in a mosque where the pilgrms (hajis) had gathered.

ਜਾ ਬਾਬਾ ਸੁਤਾ ਰਾਤਿ ਨੋ ਵਲਿ ਮਹਰਾਬੇ ਪਾਇ ਪਸਾਰੀ ।

When Baba (Nanak) slept in the night spreading his legs towards the alcove of mosque at Kaba,

ਜੀਵਣਿ ਮਾਰੀ ਲਤਿ ਦੀ ਕੇਹੜਾ ਸੁਤਾ ਕੁਫਰ ਕੁਫਾਰੀ ।

the qazi named Jivan kicked him and asked who was this infidel enacting blasphemy.

ਲਤਾ ਵਲਿ ਖੁਦਾਇ ਦੇ ਕਿਉ ਕਰਿ ਪਇਆ ਹੋਇ ਬਜਿਗਾਰੀ ।

Why this sinner is sleeping his legs spread towards God, Khuda.

ਟੰਗੋਂ ਪਕੜਿ ਘਸੀਟਿਆ ਫਿਰਿਆ ਮੱਕਾ ਕਲਾ ਦਿਖਾਰੀ ।

Catching hold of the legs he lynched (Baba Nanak) and lo and behold the miracle, the whole of Mecca seemed to be revolving.

ਹੋਇ ਹੈਰਾਨੁ ਕਰੇਨਿ ਜੁਹਾਰੀ ॥੩੨॥

All got surprised and they all bowed.

Unless a story from the Janamsakhis can be historically verified, it is probably rubbish. For example, we know that Guru Nanak went to Baghdad (there is an inscription on a wall in the city that commemorates his visit), but there is no evidence for him going further than that.

The story about the 'revolving kabba' is fictitious and shouldn't be given credence because (a) it's not true because he never went to Mecca (b) as we know, only Muslims enter Mecca and © Muslims use this fact to tell everyone that was a Musulman.

So let us stop repeating this embarrassingly inaccurate story.

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=5572

Bhai Gurdaas Ji in Vaars Bhai Gurdaas on Pannaa 1

bwbw iPr m`ky gXw nIl bsqR Dwry bnvwrI]

baabaa fir maakae gayaa neel basathr dhhaarae banavaaree||

Donning blue attire then Baba Nanak went to Mecca.

Awsw h`Q ikqwb k`C kUjw bWg mus`lw DwrI]

aasaa haathh kithaab kaashh koojaa baa(n)g musaalaa dhhaaree||

He held staff in his hand, pressed a book under his armpit, caught hold of a metal pot and mattress.

bYTw jwie msIq ivc ijQy hwjI h`j gujwrI]

bait(h)aa jaae maseeth vich jithhae haajee haaj gujaaree||

Now he sat in a mosque where the pilgrms (hajis) had gathered.

jW bwbw su`qw rwq nUM v`l mihrwby pWie pswrI]

jaa(n) baabaa suthaa raath noo(n) vaal mehiraabae paa(n)e pasaaree||

When Baba (Nanak) slept in the night spreading his legs towards the alcove of mosque at Kaba,

jIvn mwrI lq dI kyVHw suqw ku&r ku&wrI]

jeevan maaree lath dhee kaerrhaa suthaa kur kuaaree||

the qazi named Jivan kicked him and asked who was this infidel enacting blasphemy.

lqW vl ^udwie dy ikauNkr pieAw hoie bjgwrI]

lathaa(n) val khhudhaae dhae kiou(n)akar paeiaa hoe bajagaaree||

Why this sinner is sleeping his legs spread towards God, Khuda.

tMgoN pkV GsIitAw iPirAw m`kw klw idKwrI]

tta(n)go(n) pakarr ghaseettiaa firiaa maakaa kalaa dhikhaaree||

Catching hold of the legs he lynched (Baba Nanak) and lo and behold the miracle, the whole of Mecca seemed to be revolving.

hoie hYrwn kryn juhwrI ]óò]

hoe hairaan karaen juhaaree ||aa||

All got surprised and they all bowed.

In Sooraj Prakash Granth it is also mentioned that Bhai Mardana ji had a deep desire to do darshan of Kaaba. But since he was a so-called "lower caste", he wasn't socially and financially able to do so. Do fulfill his desire, Gurujee went with him to Mecca. This is what I heard in Gyani Thakur Singh ji's katha on Amrit Bani radio a month ago. May Gurujee and sangat please forgive and correct any mistakes.