Guess Who's India's Republica Day's Chief Guest

nanosecond

French President

What a shame? Did Manmohan Singh delibrately invite him to put Sikhs to shame?

Sikhs urge Manmohan Singh to raise turban issue with Sarkozy

From our ANI Correspondent

New Delhi, Jan 22: Ahead of French President Nicolas Sarkozy's visit to the country, Sikhs on Tuesday staged protest against a French secularity law banning turbans in public schools and other work places in that country and urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to raise the matter with the former. spacer.gifspacer.gif

spacer.gifspacer.gif

"We are appealing to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to request French President Nicolas Sarkozy to request him to lift the ban on this law in his country or else face opposition to the move," said Akali Dal president Paramjeet Singh.

The protesters shouted anti-France slogans and requested Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to take up the matter with France.

Paramjeet led the group who were protesting against the French law.

Nicolas Sarkozy, who is scheduled to arrive on Friday, will be the chief guest at the Republic Day parade.

Sikh community in France has been recently caught up in legal duels with the French Government on turban issue.

Opponents of the ban question the French Government's interpretation of secular beliefs on its nationals undermining the neutrality of the state on issues concerning personal beliefs.

Copyright Asian News International

Oh i get it now.. so we gotta be self centered ..cool !! : )

Bandeha the simple fact of the matter is that the hijab is not a compulsory part of islam nor has it ever been. It is just middle eastern culture which is just often confused as being a must for a practicing muslim woman. But its not.

Whereas the dastaar is a KEY part of the sikh identity.

Also veera I noticed from your posts in the last few weeks you're always looking for some controversy or a fight of some sort, whats up with that? Never used to be like that before.

^^ We'll totally go off topic here but yeah should we apply the same logic for Sarika Singh case in UK?? Why are sikhs backing her over the Karra issue?? She isn't even amritdhari which means karra ain't mandatory for her...

Also veera I noticed from your posts in the last few weeks you're always looking for some controversy or a fight of some sort, whats up with that? Never used to be like that before.

I still love you.. feel it : )

^^ We'll totally go off topic here but yeah should we apply the same logic for Sarika Singh case in UK?? Why are sikhs backing her over the Karra issue?? She isn't even amritdhari which means karra ain't mandatory for her...

I still love you.. feel it : )

I'm not backing her in the karra issue I think her parents just totally blew it out of proportion. You're right a karra is a kakkar and personally I don't see the point in wearing one if you don't have the other 4... Its a personal opinion which I know i'll probably get slated for... Also in my opinion if someone wears a kara they should act like a sikh and shouldn't been seen drinking, clubbing etc. As many youths are today. Because it portrays a false image of who a sikh really is. If you want to do those things, fine it's your grave ur digging but don't call yourself a son of Guru Gobind Singh Jee whilst doing them. Or wear a symbol that signifies you're his son.

Think of the implications of the Sarika case - if the school wins, the same will apply to every school. On the other hand, if she wins, it makes it easier for Amritdhari Singhs in similar situations. As for not having the other 4 Kakkars, you got to start somewhere......

The hijab is not an article of faith. If you actually took the time out to speak to a Muslim bibi you will find that most are forced to wear one by their parents or brothers.

In fact muslims bibis even started some sort of a society that openly condmens the wearing of the hijab and the way that it is forced upon them by men. I'll try to find he name of it.

Islam teaches its followers both men and women to dress modestly like sikhi. Not to cover yourself head to toe in cloth. Imagine how constricted you would feel having your face convered like that.

The hijab is just another way in which middle eastern/asian men subdue women.Notice I didn't say muslim men. It is NOT part of Islam

In regards to the karra issue I can understand peoples feelings on that.. But you must understand her situation is very rare. Hardly any schools in the uk are like hers. Some schools even let their students to come in full bana.

If she chose to go to a school like hers (a strict all girls school) then she should obey the rules or change school. You can't be biased on these sorts of things none of the goreh are allowed to wear crosses at her school so.....

Think of the implications of the Sarika case - if the school wins, the same will apply to every school.

Thats not true that rule will never apply to all schools in the uk. My college even knows I wear a kirpan under my shirt. Because i'm sensilble with it and have never gotten it out they say its ok.

As long as you explain your beliefs with pyaar and they see that your devout and serious about your faith they won't have a problem with it.

Its when they can see that someone clearly doesn't follow their faith properly but tries to push the boundries anyway then its a problem.