Using Gatka To Fight For Girl Child

wjkk wjkf

Using gatka to fight for girl child.

Date: 02/13/2008

News Source: http://www.expressindia.com

Patti, February 12 Raminder Kaur Bedi, 22, from Patti feels proud of the fact that she is a sole woman “gatka” performer in her area. One of the two sisters in the family, she is employing this art not only to protect this important piece of the rich Sikh heritage, but also to take cudgels against the menace of female foeticide.

Bedi, who started performing the “gatka” at a very young age, has vivid memories of an event that inspired her to pursue martial arts. I was very young at that time, but I remember watching an inspiring performance during a religious procession, which motivated me to learn the skill,” she said. From that moment, she has been using most of her spare time practicing gatka.

At other times she is busy imparting knowledge of the martial skills to the boys in her neighbourhood. Initially not many people in her circle thought much of her desire to learn the skill, but were forced to take notice when she put up one impressive show after the other and won accolades in different district and state-level events. Though well-versed in almost every nuance of the art, her most awe-inspiring feat in this discipline includes her routine with a sword and shield.

“The way she brandished a sword and then used it artistically to put ‘kajal’ (eye salve) in her eyes held the audience spell-bound during a recent performances,” gushed Raminder’s mother Pushpinder Kaur. Her other amazing feat was performed blindfolded, she added.

Raminder, meanwhile, laments that now-a-days very few people bother to take some time out from their busy lives and learn ‘gatka’, without realising that it is an integral part of the Sikh heritage.

Her objective, however, is to use the art as a weapon against female foeticide. “Our Gurus always raised their voice against the killing of girls and women, but many people are still indulging in it,” she said referring to foeticide menace. She maintained that she wanted to make the society realise what wrong that it was committing by killing girls even before they were born.

“I have brought laurels to my family’s name and want people to realise that their daughters can make them proud too if only they would give them a chance,” added Bedi.