Bail Denied To Air India Bomber Inderjit Singh Reyat

TeriSharan.

VANCOUVER, Canada (AFP) - Convicted Air India terrorist bomber Inderjit Singh Reyat will stay in jail until his trial for perjury begins next year, a judge ruled Friday in this western Canadian city.

ADVERTISEMENT

"The bail was denied," said prosecution spokesman Neil MacKenzie.

Reyat, 55, will go on trial on January 19, 2009 on one charge of perjury related to his testimony at the terrorist trial of Ripudaman Singh Malik and Ajaib Singh Bagri.

Malik and Bagri were acquitted in 2005 after prosecutors failed to convince a judge they were part of a lethal conspiracy to bomb two Air India planes, in revenge for an Indian government crackdown on Sikh fundamentalism.

Two Japanese workers died when a bomb exploded June 23, 1985, at Japan's Narita airport as they loaded baggage onto an Air India plane. On the same day, a bomb exploded aboard Air India Flight 182 off the coast of Ireland, killing all 329 people aboard.

Reyat, who has been in jail since 1988, had already been convicted of manslaughter for the Japanese murders when he was charged alongside Malik and Bagri in the Flight 182 murders.

But in a controversial bargain with prosecutors, Reyat plead guilty to manslaughter related to Flight 182 in return for a five-year jail sentence and the understanding, according to a prosecution spokesman, that he would testify truthfully if called as a witness in Malik and Bagri's trial.

The judge who acquitted Malik and Bagri called Reyat's testimony "a pack of lies."

Reyat's jail sentence for his previous convictions ended earlier this year, but prosecutors had asked a judge to order him kept in jail until his perjury trial. If convicted, he could face a maximum sentence of 14 years in jail.

The details of the bail hearing cannot be reported because of a publication ban.

Generally, under Canadian law bail is only denied if the suspect is considered a flight risk, if they're considered a crime threat, or if a judge decides it is necessary to maintain the confidence and administration of justice.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20080308/twl-...al-bb2b648.html

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest peacemaker

And we are supposed to feel what at this news? I can't feel sorry for a convicted terrorist, who also pleaded guilty, just because he is a "Sikh". He brought this on himself and now he is suffering in jail and hopefully feeling the pain he caused all those people and their families.

And we are supposed to feel what at this news? I can't feel sorry for a convicted terrorist, who also pleaded guilty, just because he is a "Sikh". He brought this on himself and now he is suffering in jail and hopefully feeling the pain he caused all those people and their families.

Peacemaker I sometimes read ur post and they are soo annoying!!

You don't know nothing about Reyat, and his role in this case. As far as I know he was in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people. He was a innocent man, and he even does alot of gurbani paath. Do your research, then make a judgement. Once upon a time, even Nelson Mandella was called a terrorist, and even people call the babbars and sant jee terrorist.

Guest peacemaker

Then tell me, what is the difference between Al Qaeda and Babbar Khalsa? If someone tries to blow up a plane or knows about a plot to do something like that, in my view, they are a terrorist!

What were they trying to do, huh?!! I heard there were even other sikhs on the plane, not that in matters, but what kind of people are these?! They bring a very bad name to all the sikhs on this planet! Did Inerjit ever try and stop them from doing it?! NO!

The man pleaded guilty! How does that make him innocent?! If you find me annoying because I said I can't stand terrorist sikhs and because you are under the impression that there are none, then that's your problem, not mine!

Don't you dare bring Nelson Mandela into this. Did the man ever try and blow anyone up? There is no comparison.

Terrorist or freedom fighter Inderjit Reyat did confess to making the bombs for Parmar, thus his sentence but claimed he did not know what their purpose was………I would think making bombs only had one purpose…..but apparently there are other genuine reasons for making them!…none actually come to my mind right now.

Guest peacemaker
One country's terrorist is another's freedpm fighter

How about several countries?

Babbar Khalsa is listed as a terrorist organisation by the United Kingdom, the EU,Canada, India, and the United States. That's enough to make me stay far away from them!

Has anyone ever felt sorry for the victims of these horrible acts?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

The Babbar Khalsa has been blessed by Akaal Purakh with some of the most beautiful souls who walked with their heads held high on a path many of us can’t even being to comprehend.

Please for your own sake don’t insult such Gursikhs like Shaheed Bhai Dharam Singh Ji, Shaheed Bhai Sulakhan Singh Ji, Shaheed Bhai Anokh Singh Ji etc by comparing them to Al Qadea.

Stay far away from them if you want but please don’t insult those who lived and died for you and me.

Guest peacemaker

The Babbar Khalsa has been blessed by Akaal Purakh with some of the most beautiful souls who walked with their heads held high on a path many of us can't even being to comprehend.

Then why did they bomb Air India Flight 182? That doesn't seem very "blessed" to me.