What Do You Do With Hair That Come Out When You Do Kanga

Guest __Singh__

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should it matter..?

If your hair goes down the toilet or is burnt into ashes, is it all not hukam?

If i slap you across your head n knock your dastaar off

is it not hukam?

then agen i cud always be more respectful

gather it put it in a bag.....n as said by others.. do ardaas n burn it

LOL.gif

but a great response :TH:

AHHHHHH wiked, gursih vich pyaar, i love it, lol lol lol

Common sense:

We as Sikhs are getting very stuck in what are, really non issues.

Sikhs are meant to keep their kes as a mark of identity - the identity Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave us (earlier on mentioned by Guru Nanak Dev Ji to Bhai Mardana.) An appearance of a saint.

To Captain Jee, Maharaj isn't concerned over the corpse. He’s concerned about the atma within you. The body is “mati” /sand/dust/ashes without the soul. Worthless. (and smelly after you die…)

We weren't told to worship kes, but to keep it natural. The hair, when off, is not more significant than the skin fibers or nails that have fallen off/been cut. If we put THIS much emphasis on non-issues we are no different from the Brahmins being criticized for wearing the janue. We have started putting very much focus on rituals rather than on the bani. On the point he was trying to make. He said – keep it natural – we start worshipping it as if it’s BANI ITSELF. We as Sikhs are forgetting the spiritual aspects and getting very ritualistic about these non-issues. Very funny to see though, how he said something, and how Sikhs have started treating it.

Historical aspect:

Although the rehitnamas are very strict about the CUTTING of kes. However NONE mention collecting it and burning/disposing them in a ritualistic way. Our ithas mentions (prior to 20th centaury) NOTHING of the sort.

I am fully aware that most people, who have made up their mind to do it, will keep on doing it – it’s their call. But that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a relatively new ritual Sikhs have started getting in to.

We are walking further away from the spiritual guidance of maharaj to baseless rituals and hope that these simple things will make Maharaj happy.

Guest peacemaker
I am fully aware that most people, who have made up their mind to do it, will keep on doing it – it’s their call. But that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a relatively new ritual Sikhs have started getting in to.

I take it you're a flusher then? :)

I believe it's very much a cultural issue. History tells us the Gurus weren't very bothered about it. The Guru's couldn't care less whether the body was cremated or buried. I think that the fact that Sikhs cremate is just something they’ve adapted to, in the way it was done in the society at the time. It’s the same with the issue of divorce – there is no explicit rule so if a Sikh couple needs to divorce there is no institutionalized way to do so – follow the law of the country.

I think that they had an intention behind not making certain issues clear-cut. Them not making a clear stance was very different from how other faiths have it. They were way ahead of their time and made a very limited amount of things black and white. Sikhs unfortunately have started debating about it instead of respecting each others views, and respecting diversity (which is most likely what the Gurus were encouraging – people to use their common sense. There’s a big difference between manmat and common sense.)

I haven't stumbled upon any rehitnamas that mention that cremation is important, however even if they exist, my assumption would be that it’s something that’s been gathered from the surrounding.

The Gurus weren’t concerned about sand. They were concerned about soul. About Love. Not about rituals or quick-fixes.

I can't believe some of the replies on this thread especially by ‘V’. Kes have had Amrit in them; they are the mor of Sikhi and significant to a Gursikhs spirituality.

The 5 pyaare in most cases stipulate this in the Amrit Sanchaar, but if not, I advise as the premi’s already have that one collect the Kes which come out when combing twice daily in a suitable container (e.g. bag, box etc). When one has enough to do the sevaa of disposing of them in the respectful way, do an ardaas and burn them. This way is much more respectful than throwing them into the bin where one puts rubbish in; Kes (even those which are no longer on the body) do not belong with rubbish.

I need not mention beant examples of Gursikhan da pyaar for Kes throughout the History of Sikhs.

I suggest V paaji/penji do their research on why Sikhs cremate and not bury aswell as learning the importance and satkaar of Kes in Sikhi.

Vaheguroo jee kaa Khalsaa, Vaheguroo jee kee fatehh.