What Do You Do With Hair That Come Out When You Do Kanga

Guest __Singh__

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

Just to add. Exactly a year ago the same question was asked. During that time I was the only one who said that hair must be burnt. I then used an explanation which I tink people will like.

In sikhi once you get deeper and deeper you realise that there is no such thing as wrong and no such thing as right. Right infact is what we made up to mean 'the best thing to do' and wrong to mean 'the worst thing to do'. Some of us tinge on the borderline where no one can say thats wrong and no one can say thats right HOWEVER ultimately we are ALL trying to get to the 'best thing to do stage'.

What I mean by this is that its not 'wrong' to eat meat. Its not 'wrong' to smoke but its best if you don't smoke, its best if you don't eat meat. In bani practically everything is discussed like this. Anyways lets not degresss....so going back to burying in bani there are alot of stanza's focussing on burying versus cremation. If you read it you will realise its about what is best to do....

Alot of it focusses on how burying bodies is making them rot which is more infectious, how it wastes landspace amongst other things. Cremation is written down as the best choice as it avoids alot of these things. In this context the death of Guru Nanak Dev Ji is irrelevant other than showing that there is no right or wrong but there is the best thing. Also since none of our hairs or bodies are going to become flowers we therefore, need to think what we should do with our hair - ie what is the best choice for its disposale?

Everyone can answer this question very logically. Lets just compare the two methods and we can automatically see which is the best for disposale.

1. Burying....does this dispose of hair? Not really cos hair does not rot. So what happens to your hair.....it goes to a landfill site and sits there. We shed alot of hair (ask anyone who keeps their hair for burning)...so basically all this hair which is yours and other peoples just wastes space at landfill sites...which btw stink and they are not healthy places....add to this the fact that the government has trouble finding dumping sites...so we shud think again....is throwing our hair actually disposing of it? Or is it just taking our hair and putting it in a different location? Just cos we cannot see it - it does not mean its disposed.

2. The second option is to burn hair. Hair burns so fast....anyone tried it? You just light it and its off...The hair in this circumstance is truly disposed as u cannot get it back. Its gone. Its also very good on saving environmental space and it makes u more aware of ure health as you can tell from how much hair ure losing etc...

I think if you look at it this way its clear that there is a better way to dispose which is why we cremate bodies cos burying dead people is not the best way to dipose of them. Also slightly off topic but you shud NOT collect hair for 5 years and then burn a huge amount in one go....again apply the logic of whats best ie shud I burn a huge pile or a relatively smaller pile.....Bani is very logical like this..Its all about the best choice.

The last thing I would like to say is that - There is a reason humans are said to be conscious - its because we have the ability to decide what is the best choice.