I Met With The Guru, And I Have Tied A Tall, Plumed Turban

if everything has to be the same for both genders, then how come women are given the name of Kaur while men are given Singh? should'n both have the name Singh since we believe in "equality" as you define by modern standards.

Guru Maharaj recognised the feminity of women, he did not try to make two genders into one.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is funny because i am taking this class this sem psych of sex and gender and wht i got to know at the end of the semester from tht class now is that most religions have negative influence on gender......but in terms of sikhism i dont think theres any religion thats as flexible to gender issues as sikhism is.......then i guess dastaar is for everyone no matter what gender and race it would be .... thas the way of sikhism...... :)

Guest peacemaker
but seriously is it mandatory for girls to wear dastaar?? or is it just for singhs??

Is it really madatory? I'm not sure, but all I can say is 99% of the Sikh girls I see in my area and even growing up, never wear/wore dastaars. It is only something I have gotten used to recently and my expression is always "Wow!", with excitment. :o I just say to myself that if this is the way that it was meant to be, then why do a lot of Sikh men wear dastaars, but then the women just wear a chunee, and it has been going on for centuries like that. :gg:

I'm all for equality, though, and if women want to wear dastaars, more power to them, but if they don't, then that is also fine. I can't help but wonder how a girl decides to wear a dastaar and when they do, we refer to them as "Singhnee" usually.

but seriously is it mandatory for girls to wear dastaar?? or is it just for singhs??

Is it really madatory? I'm not sure, but all I can say is 99% of the Sikh girls I see in my area and even growing up, never wear/wore dastaars. It is only something I have gotten used to recently and my expression is always "Wow!", with excitment. :o I just say to myself that if this is the way that it was meant to be, then why do a lot of Sikh men wear dastaars, but then the women just wear a chunee, and it has been going on for centuries like that. :gg:

I'm all for equality, though, and if women want to wear dastaars, more power to them, but if they don't, then that is also fine. I can't help but wonder how a girl decides to wear a dastaar and when they do, we refer to them as "Singhnee" usually.

lol...i thought that was the main question being asked about dastaar :gg: ...

if everything has to be the same for both genders, then how come women are given the name of Kaur while men are given Singh? should'n both have the name Singh since we believe in "equality" as you define by modern standards.

Guru Maharaj recognised the feminity of women, he did not try to make two genders into one.

if guru ji has given males a gift i.e changed our surname to singh, then he has done it to women toooo.... cant this be seen as equality. if guru ji just changed one genders last name then we could argue that there is no equality and guru ji favours men more. but guru ji has not. guru ji gave both men and women a gift. know getting back to the dastar, if guru ji has given male's the gift of dastar, what has he given female's in return................ think about it people........ guru ji loves both genders and does everything wiv equality

lol another REASON why i dont like sub forums lol no one checks thems, people where's the veechar goneeeee>>>

now that is so true.......i thought forums = comprehensive and an active form of discussion perpetuated by active participation by the people themselves......

• 2 weeks later...