Kaam

Guest ----------

Guest ----------

vjkk vjkf

sat sangath jee, i am a 17 yr old male non-amritdhari sikh who is having trouble with kaam. I hope to be amritdhari one day but my problems with kaam are impeding me. I hang out with a chungi sangath. The problem is that sometimes I'll just be hit with feelings of lust so powerfully, I forget evrything and act on impulse. Sangath Jee, I have read many posts on this subject before and have tried controlling these urges but have so far failed. Any advice would be helpful.

vjkk vjkf

Guest Guest
vjkk vjkf

sat sangath jee, i am a 17 yr old male non-amritdhari sikh who is having trouble with kaam. I hope to be amritdhari one day but my problems with kaam are impeding me. I hang out with a chungi sangath. The problem is that sometimes I'll just be hit with feelings of lust so powerfully, I forget evrything and act on impulse. Sangath Jee, I have read many posts on this subject before and have tried controlling these urges but have so far failed. Any advice would be helpful.

vjkk vjkf

Being a sikh teen living in the UK is hard. Teenagehood presents us with so many temptations and oppertunities to follow the wrong path and sometimes we can find these temptations irresistable. As humans, we are naturally inclined to have feelings of lust, anger envy greed etc, unless your a saint you're going to have these feelings so don't feel bad about it. But they are our most difficult challenge in this lifetime which we are put here to overcome.....as long as these feelings are not under our command, we are attached to and slaves of maya (the illusionary world) and cannot make progress. Feelings of lust have been the downfall of many prospective saints and holy men throughout history. The ONLY way to stop these feelings and desires are to follow the Gurus instructions, gain knowledge from Guru Granth Sahib and most importantly, do Naam jaap which is the main most vital instruction given to us. Naam jaap is the only thing that has helped me to overcome my feelings...I still remeber the day that I sat down and prayed during my naam jap to be able to control my my lust...it used to distract me from everything, doing paath, daily activities as well as naam jap. The more I tried to forcefully control it, the worse it became...i tried everything, could never feel at peace and used to snap at my family for no reason (pent up lust causes anger). It worked from that very day and the more I naam japped the more diluted the feeling became until one day I could sit and not be tormented anymore. The point is that no matter how hard one may try, these feelings cannot be overcome on our own, falling at the feet of the guru and begging for help is the only way.... nothing is in our hands..

Do Ardas! Also, make a genuine effort to do Simran with every breath throughout the day. The other thing that helped me was to keep myself busy - if you don't give your mind the opportunity to drift into kaami thoughts, it won't.

It's really important to stay away from 'dodgy' TV, books, magazines etc. Kaam is a powerful force, you don't want to strengthen it.

Be strong, constantly do ardas and you'll be ok.

Guest ----------
vjkk vjkf

vjkk vjkf

Being a sikh teen living in the UK is hard. Teenagehood presents us with so many temptations and oppertunities to follow the wrong path and sometimes we can find these temptations irresistable. As humans, we are naturally inclined to have feelings of lust, anger envy greed etc, unless your a saint you're going to have these feelings so don't feel bad about it. But they are our most difficult challenge in this lifetime which we are put here to overcome.....as long as these feelings are not under our command, we are attached to and slaves of maya (the illusionary world) and cannot make progress. Feelings of lust have been the downfall of many prospective saints and holy men throughout history. The ONLY way to stop these feelings and desires are to follow the Gurus instructions, gain knowledge from Guru Granth Sahib and most importantly, do Naam jaap which is the main most vital instruction given to us. Naam jaap is the only thing that has helped me to overcome my feelings...I still remeber the day that I sat down and prayed during my naam jap to be able to control my my lust...it used to distract me from everything, doing paath, daily activities as well as naam jap. The more I tried to forcefully control it, the worse it became...i tried everything, could never feel at peace and used to snap at my family for no reason (pent up lust causes anger). It worked from that very day and the more I naam japped the more diluted the feeling became until one day I could sit and not be tormented anymore. The point is that no matter how hard one may try, these feelings cannot be overcome on our own, falling at the feet of the guru and begging for help is the only way.... nothing is in our hands..

Thank you for replying. Im actually a Canadian sikh but of course your points still apply. I also have noticed that after I give in to kaam that my day will be horibble afterwards and I'll keep getting into fights with my family and friends. I think it is punishment, or my own guilt. I will try my best at following your example and overcoming my problem. Thanks and again all advice is appreciated.