Is This Translation Correct ?

Dear all, I'm hoping a Sikh scholar can shed some light here as I believe the following translation may be wrong.

ਸੁਣਿਐ

सुणिऐ सासत सिम्रिति वेद ॥

Suṇi­ai sāsaṯ simriṯ vėḏ.

Listening-the Shaastras, the Simritees and the Vedas.

<A class=dict onmouseover="ddrivetip('iNānak /i The first Guru of the Sikhs, the founder of Sikhism', 250)" onmouseout=hideddrivetip() href="http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਨਾਨਕ" ;>ਨਾਨਕ ਭਗਤਾ ਸਦਾ ਵਿਗਾਸੁ

नानक भगता सदा विगासु ॥

Nānak bẖagṯā saḏā vigās.

O Nanak, the devotees are forever in bliss.

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.g...t&id=70#l70

I believe "Nanak bhagta sada vigas" translates to listening to the "Bhagat Nanak, everyone obtains bliss"

Am I right ?

haha, nei ji

sada means forever not everyone

the vishram on that line goes: nanak bhagta sada vigas

this is often seen in south asian poetry, where the poet will in a way talk to themself in the last line of the composition

and i dont think maharaj would refer to themself as a bhagat either, they always in bani esp. refer to themself as dasso or simply nanak

haha, nei ji

this is often seen in south asian poetry, where the poet will in a way talk to themself in the last line of the composition

and i dont think maharaj would refer to themself as a bhagat either, they always in bani esp. refer to themself as dasso or simply nanak

It means Nanak says that bhagats of waheguru are always in a state of bliss.

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਸਾਸਤ ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਵੇਦ

That translation is not correct either. It should be,

By listening (to God's name), knowledge of religious texts (shastras, Simirites, Vedas, along with all others) is obtained

haha, nei ji

You have not answered the question and fyi, inferring oneself as the third person, is not a 'South Asian poetry'. It is actually Punjabi, started with Baba Farid. Read Baba Farids Slokas. He was Punjabs first poet.

If sada means everyone, then "Nanak Bhagta Sada Vigas" should logically translate to through Nanak the Bhagat everyone obtains bliss. Can anybody confirm ?

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਸਾਸਤ ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਵੇਦ

That translation is not correct either. It should be,

By listening (to God's name), knowledge of religious texts (shastras, Simirites, Vedas, along with all others) is obtained

I suspected as such. I was shocked to see our SGGS claiming superior status to Vedas.

it is not confined to punjabi writing, bhagat kabir ji was from near varanasi, bhagat namdev was from maharashtra....other bhagats as well use the same style of using their name, talking in the third person....

slok ]

salok |

Shalok:

kbIrw mrqw mrqw jgu muAw mir iB n jwnY koie ]

kabeeraa marathaa marathaa jag muaa mar bh n jaanai koe |

Kabeer, the world is dying - dying to death, but no one knows how to truly die.

AYsI mrnI jo mrY bhuir n mrnw hoie ]1]

aisee maranee jo marai bahur n maranaa hoe |1|

Whoever dies, let him die such a death, that he does not have to die again. ||1||

peace.

sada means forever

and for ur information punjab is part of south asia, i just wasn't sure whether or not that style was confined to punjab

So what if it is part of South Asia ? Tamils in S. India marry their cousins. Can we say this is a 'South Asian' practise ?

South Asia is just a geographic term, nothing more.

it is not confined to punjabi writing, bhagat kabir ji was from near varanasi, bhagat namdev was from maharashtra....other bhagats as well use the same style of using their name, talking in the third person....

slok ]

salok |

Shalok:

kbIrw mrqw mrqw jgu muAw mir iB n jwnY koie ]

kabeeraa marathaa marathaa jag muaa mar bh n jaanai koe |

Kabeer, the world is dying - dying to death, but no one knows how to truly die.

AYsI mrnI jo mrY bhuir n mrnw hoie ]1]

aisee maranee jo marai bahur n maranaa hoe |1|

Whoever dies, let him die such a death, that he does not have to die again. ||1||

peace.

Baba Farid lived long before they came about and he was noted to be Punjabs first poet. It is possible his style of poetry was adopted in Maratha and Varanasi.

Can you show me verses similar to Baba Farids Slokas, from other parts of India, older then Baba Farid ?