Marrying Without Parents

mophlrkb

Just curious to know if its possible to marry (Sikh boy and Sikh girl) without the parents being present within a Gurudwara....for example if one of both passed away or without the parents blessing etcc..

If your parents have passed away then there is no reason why a sikh boy and girl cant get married in a gurdwara.

If you dont have your parents blessings.........hmm i think you will get different advice based on peoples opinions. Personally i think its important that your parents agree with the wedding, however if they are against it due to silly principles such as your both not the same caste or something.. then perhaps the anand kaaraj could still take place with other family/relatives there.

But i'd say always try and work it out with your parents first, or get someone to talk about it.

sorry if i havent made sense, but i dont really know the circumstances, so cant comment appropriately.

gurfateh jee

Just curious to know if its possible to marry (Sikh boy and Sikh girl) without the parents being present within a Gurudwara....for example if one of both passed away or without the parents blessing etcc..

As per custom, parents should be present at the time of Anand Karaj. If parents are not there, gaurdian can be present.

Frankly, first go & talk to Granthi ji of the Gurudwara.

Ask him about the procedure.

If required get legal advice as well.

Longtime back my school mates (guy) parents were against his love marriage so he got one of his friends parents to be in their place. Girl, her family & relatives were too present at the Anandkaraj.

Wow something i never knew either!!

Is there anything written in stone re. the actual requirement to have family members there...I mean what if the guy and girl just wanted to get married alone or if there were no relatives...how would that work?

Could you just go gurudwara and get married, the girl and boy?

The only time you should marry without your parents unless ofcourse they've passed away, is if you are really into sikhi and your parents aren't and you want to have a proper gursikh wedding no party etc. No empty rituals etc. But your parents won't agree.

This situation is 1 in a thousand.

I doubt this is what the topic starter had in mind though.

Guest LondonCrez

this is an interesting thread....

Has anyone on here ever had such a wedding....??

I can understand the 'no empty rituals

Went to a wedding a few weeks ago (after years of not going to any) and I can't belive how 'bling bling' they have become...even to the extent of talking during the ceremony and only quick Lava...you know the 30 minute thing...it's crazy....

There are 3 aspects in getting Married.

1. Spiritual approval (Anand Karaj in presence of SATGURU)

2. Legal approval (marriage certificate or registration as per law of the land)

3. Social approval (involving family, relatives, friends, biradri, neighbours etc... )

The order of priority differs from person to person.

Nowdays parents try but are unable to find a marriage partner for their kids, some parents aren't even bothered.

Eventually boy or the girl has to take their own initiative. This trend is growing nowdays !

Decision of any couple who are willing to get married, is most Welcome & should be encouraged in Sikh Society.

This is a much better proposition compared to a love affair, flirting, open or a live-in relationship etc..

Lastly an important advice for the young give priority to an arranged marriage but if your parents are unsucessful in finding a match uptil a certain age then there is no harm in trying yourself.

There is no point in suppressing basic human instinct and going against Law of Nature !