Running Away From Home

Guest girl

ive been there things were not good at home i hate cumin home. i wont go too much in2 it now but i just werent happy. i wanted to run away. i dunno what stopped me. althgh my family didnt respect me and i cudnt feel there love i still loved them. i was in a reli bad way, self harming, suicidal....but things change. yeah i feel like an outsider sumtimes and lonely as hell but im trying. and so r they. sumtimes i dnt even talk 2 them but its nice sumtimes to know that they are like sleeping safely and that.

look sis im not gonan comdemn u 4 hw u believe. or what u wanna do im sure ur mature enuff 2 make rite choice. but u never know whats round corner. i was out of it so close 2 the end....yeah sumtimes i wana run away too but i reckon my probs will still follow me.

I can relate to alot of what you said about the self harm and suicide. And i agree my problems will just follow me wherever i go, but i think by being apart from my family, i have the ability to deal with many problems, rather than remaining with my family, and churning them in a vicious cycle combined with imminent amounts of violent and emotional abuse to follow, if i were to stay. Hope it works out well for you bro.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I'm a 19 year old punjabi girl in the UK. Not the best of sikhs, neither the most informed. But not an ignorant lost girl. I haven't managed to ruin my life and neither do i have massive family problems persay. I'm not here to justify why i want to run away from home, neither am i asking advice on how to deal with my home situation.

I just want to know, from the sangat, if anyone has ever run away from home. What preparations they made? What was their destination? Did they manage to survive successfully? Were they tracked? How did they set about creating a new life?

This is a serious post, hopefully the Mods can appreciate that. And yes, i do plan to leave alone.

Thanks for taking the time.

quick question for UK sangat... what is the age of majority in the UK?

here in the US, it's 18, meaning a 19 year old would not have to "run away", but could instead move out, get a job, get an apartment, etc. it's quite common for people to move out at 18 over here, so i guess i'm a bit confused at why everyone is saying 19 is too young, she'll not find a job, etc.

NOTE: i'm not encouraging or discouraging anything, just want to understand the law where she is.

here in the US, it's 18, meaning a 19 year old would not have to "run away", but could instead move out, get a job, get an apartment, etc. it's quite common for people to move out at 18 over here, so i guess i'm a bit confused at why everyone is saying 19 is too young, she'll not find a job, etc.

NOTE: i'm not encouraging or discouraging anything, just want to understand the law where she is.

Hi bhainji, the age of majority in the UK is also 18. The "run away" phrase was used in the context of moving out without the happy consent of my parents/guardians, who will then ensue to persuade me to return. And since there is a threat of violence based on current problems within my household, one can only imagine the ruckus "moving out" would cause. So i'd hope to do it near enough, secretively.

my sister has just ran away from home.....my mum is so hurt but what can we do?!shes gone off with sum gora!and b4 u all say our family has given her everything. we support her look after her not too strict etc. but i just dnt understand it. its a selfish cowardish thing to do. and i for one wudnt wish the pain that my mum is feeling on ne1. constantly waiting by the phone looking outside every 2 mins.

good riddance

WJKK WJKF Sister

18 is the age when you are treated as major here in UK, therefore technically "run away" term isn’t right may be "moved out" is more better term. As far I remember from previous posts she is in employment but she didn’t have no where to go (accommodation).

She is young. May god be with her and don’t let her in any difficult situation.

Bhul Chuk Mauf

:@ I feel very sad for u, u dout really understand the pain a parent, bother or sister in a sikh family has to go through, if loved one run away without sharing any feeling SAD SAD very SAD.

very good point!my sis has just ran away!and its ripped my mums heart apart!shel never 4get it. ive been in fights since coz im so angry and my sister is all over the place. if u wanna be selfish and run away do so but remember 1 thing ull be lonely. im never gonna accept my sister back 4 the things she has said. shel end up having no mum sister bro(me) cousins nephews house. shel end up a lonely person. we r going thru this all now. and i just cnt undertsand how sum1 u look after give everything 2 can just think one day im done we using these people im out of here.

run away...ull end up being in a council house a very sad lonely person. if not worse! and ull ask urself 1 day in future was it reli worth it???worth losing ur fam, self respect jobs etc.

f the girls/boys that can put there family thru this!u cant love ne1 apart from urself. good luck if u do it u will need it

:sad: I am 52 year old, two boys aged 14 and 15, and one girl 23 who left to going to see her friend, we got a tex that she safe but coming home

It has ripped the hearts and souls of the family.

I have done what every sikh father has to do, provided beatiful house, great cars, designer clothes everything u could think of. private tution,

and over the years together had darshan of all holy sikh temples in India including Hamekund sahib, and Hazoor sahib. I talk very openly to all my kids about anything. the three kids were proud to be sikhs and to be british. WHAT DID I DO WRONG?

I deeply belive in my Sikh religion and my Gurus and thats the only thing that gives the strengh. With their blessing I can still forgive and forget. Life has their up and downs, but thought my life was haven, nice house, fast cars, good living but I never forgotten my Gurus

We tell ours kids whats right and wrong but they can still do wrong. We always explain that we are from india and sikhs but the kids these day think because they are born in england their are british and they want to live like goras this is being in the wrong sangat one true lie. People

this days try to tell these weak kids that right is wrong and the wrong is right, pretenting to be nice, but these people get very great happiness

in messing up other famililes.

My two sons are understanding and helpful. All I can say to this girl go home hug your perents and tell them u love them.

DONT DISTORY A HAPPY FAMILY love the Gurus and their teaching there is no happiness in running away

I'd like to thank everyone who replied for their help. And i'm glad to say, i managed to bring out some resolution to my problems, which means i won't be "moving out"/"running away". And i'd like to thank the moderators for taking me seriously and allowing this thread to run on for so long. If they could close it now, since it's run it's course, i'd be gratetful.