We Can Do A Lot More

wjkk wjkf

I found this letter from last year which was sent by someone doing work with extremely underprivelaged children to the people at my school who helped raise some funds.

Not just as sikhs but as human beings, we should be striving to do more for others - especially the underprivelaged. Perhaps we could all take a leaf out of Celia's book , and try to do more for others whilst being extremely grateful for what Waheguru has given us. :)

Also, we all go to India (and quite regularly) I was thinking. Could we sort of put a fund together for Indiagoers that could do some kinds of seva everytime they go? Like have a section in the forum solely for people to declare their travel plans - and we could all put in a few quid or donate old books and clothes for them to take with them? Or am I being a bit naive and you'd all rather come on the forum to argue about bana and meat? :umm:

"Dear Dr. Trigg and all the students at Tomlinscote,

I am now back in Sucre, Bolivia, and would like to send a MASSIVE thank you to all those who helped

with the Mufti Day in July!! I’d like to assure you all that the £750 has been spent wisely and that the

children in the three places where I’ve spent it were all extremely grateful and so excited at all the lovely

things I have been able to bring them, thanks to all of you. Believe me, your money has gone FAR, it’s

fantastic and I have felt like Mrs. Claus for the past month!

So, where has all your money gone exactly? ... Well, I have bought hundreds of books - literally hundreds.

I managed to find some amazing books, fairytales and educational books along my travels through

Uruguay, Peru and Argentina, which I just couldn’t resist stuffing into my already overstuffed backpack

and lugging back to Bolivia with me – it sounds a bit mad I know, but if you knew me, you’d know I'm

just a little bit crazy, so it’s normal! Anyway, I picked up some lovely pop-up fairytale books and some

excellent Maths and English language books which I hadn’t found in Bolivia at this stage...needless to

say, when I got back I discovered some amazing bookshops and therefore was able to buy heaps more,

including some really beautifully decorated fairytale books and the thing they loved the most was some

musical fairytale books I found!

I have also spent a lot of the money on educational textbooks; arithmetic, algebra and lots of literature

books, more for the older girls at the orphanage, as they had been sharing literally one book between 15

children - and these books are probably older than most of you!

I’ve also bought some fun Disney duvets and lots of Disney cushions so that the kids can have a reading

corner, because they all really love to read; I guess it’s just such a novelty when they’ve never had books

of their own. Honestly, most of these kids live in unfinished shack-type accommodation, they don’t even

have running water for a toilet, let alone nice books to read, so I hope you all understand how much you

have really helped to make a difference, even if it only seems like a small one, you’re all fab!

I’ve also bought lots of educational materials for all three places...all the pens, pencils, paper, coloured

pens, crayons, rubbers, sharpeners, notebooks, board markers...that they could ever need, and you wouldn’t

believe how excited they get about these simple things, things that we take for granted!

I’ve also been able to buy complete school uniforms and PE kits for all the boys at the boys’ orphanage,

as well as sandals, footballs and basketballs!

The rest of the money has been spent on various educational games, for all three places, as well as things

that some of the orphans lack, like shoes and various pieces of clothing, as they only get new things once

a year at Christmas, and if they break or ruin them, then that’s it and they have to wait until the next

Christmas!

I am currently sorting out all the pictures I have of the kids. There are some photos of the girls in the orphanage

where my host mother works and where I’ve spent a fair bit of time helping with homework,

reading etc., some photos of the kids in the other place I work (it’s like a youth centre where really poor

kids can go and get help with their homework, or even just a place for them to go and read or play, since,

of course, they don’t have such luxuries in their houses) and some photos of the boys in another orphanage,

which is also incredibly poor, where I spent some of the money. The girls in the photos are currently

writing you all a thank you letter which we’ll post as soon as we can. Well, that’s all really, just wanted to

say thank you again, so much, you’re all stars! And I promise I am going to put the girls from the girls’

orphanage in touch with you and you can all have pen friends (well those of you learning Spanish of

course) and who knows maybe one day some of you will be able to visit Bolivia and see for yourself what

a wonderful, but sad place it is, all at once!

Thanks so so much, you’ve all been amazing, and I really really appreciate your support and help, as do

the kiddies!!

Celia x "

:)

this is an excellent idea.

consider donating to bhai fauja singh charitable trust (see orphans thread), nishkam, united sikhs, or other well established organizations with clear goals.

or directly funding schools, orphanages, and survivors is also a good idea. the main thing is to make sure you know where your money is going.

i'm going to amritsar in dec. i'll be spending a lot of time with the orphans at bhai fauja singh charitable trust. i can gather some info on what they need, etc if anyone wants.

anything else in amritsar that needs to be checked out or seva to be done, let me know. i'll be there for three weeks in dec.

again, this is a great idea you have. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Glad SOMEONE replied....

Thanks for the info bhenji...lol I joined united sikhs today (how weird is that?!) I'll take a look at the other ones you mentioned....

Please send me the info on what they need, I'll put a fund together at my college, if noone here gives a damn...

start small n make our way up i suppose :)