Calling All Sarangi/dhadhi Lovers

DhadiMania

first of all, benti to admin to please make this a sticky as i am sure many people will be able to benefit from this topic.

as im sure some people know, mahraj kirpa i have started to learn sarangi (although a completly different type of sarangi which i originally wanted to play), its more of the dhadhi jatha style. maybe one day i can play the classical sarangi.

anyway...

so here i am playing a few tunes and for some reason it doesnt sound right. i just wanted to post this so that other more learned players of this saaj can advise me on a few tips.

heres a few q's i wanted to pose

1) can anyone post "saka muttiya da", and what is its history and meaning, im looking for "naal eik akal da kalgidhar aya", if its up online anywhere? i think ive got the tune sorted.

2) im finding the alaap a bit difficult, as i have played dilruba and sitar more, it requires playing the first two fingers, sarangi requires four fingers to play. can anyone give me tips on how to get the back two fingers to start playing? any exercises?

3) also tuning tips

and if anyone else has questions, please post here

happy learning people :)

Dhadi Avtar Singh Sajan - Raag Matiya da Saka

Dhadi Raag: Matiya da Saka

Singing about when Guru Gobind Singh Ji (Dusat Daman) was told by Akal Purakh at Hemkunt Sahib, to take birth and establish the Khala Panth.

Place: Sang Dhesian, Punjab, India 13-04-08.

Dhadi: Avtar Singh Sajan

Sarangi Master: Surjit Singh Safri with Harpeet Singh Preetam and Kulwinder Singh Sodhi.

This raag is played on the sarangi at the ga, ma, pa and da notes. The index fingure is place on ga, middle fingure on ma, wedding fingure on pa and little fingure on da. Watch the video carefully to see which notes is played at which interval.

ok, i think i got the first raag sorted. now im onto alaap and it doesnt sound right, so any tips?

it starts with re ma pa ma re pa ma re ma pa ma re (and then onto the 3rd string) and u repeat it and say "satnaam, sri waheguru, dhand outh bandhan anak baar" etc.

is there any videos around that play something similiar (it also sounds like a familiar punjabi tune as well)

and psd, is there any chance u can upload something of yourself doing this slowly, so i can get it right.

im sure im playing the right notes, but it doesnt sound right, any tuning tips perhaps?

also, im looking to borrow a vaja off anyone in leicester for a couple of monthes? for tuning purposes... anyone kind enough to do this "sewa" (:-p)...(sorry alias prince, im sure you get the joke)

i would upload simple videos of myself playing, but i need some to film for me lol...

i terms of alaap, i dont quiet understand what ur saying..

vaja is good for tuning....dhadi sarangi is slightly different to classical sarangi tuning, but has alot of similarities.... i will post a video later of a gora saying how o tune a sarangi

the ustaad has taught be to say its alaap.

its basically the opening of the jatha playing, the sarangi wala plays a tune and then the dhadhi wala begins with "satnaaaaam", the tune carries on and then the dhadhi wala says "sri waheguruuuuuuu sahib jiiiiiii"...tune carries on again. i was told that this was alaap?

its hard for me to describe as this is all very very new to me.

im looking for someone to post this, in raag the opening is known as a manglacharan, but in dhadhi i do not know what its called.

also if you can post a few terminology as well. in raag people have khyaal, dhrupad, partaal etc, perhaps having some dhadhi terminology here would be ideal

Dhadi - Practising Alankaar (Alaap)

At Karnail Singh Paras' House.

Sarangi: Prof Gurvinder Singh

with Ajit Singh (Ustad), Surjit Singh Safri and others

alaap is in classical raag....its called "Alankaar" in dhadi raag. Sorry the video is focused on the sarangi. I wasnt making the video. I have trouble myself doing the alankaar. i was taught it, but forgot and coudnt get the hang of it properly..lol