Calling All Sarangi/dhadhi Lovers

DhadiMania

hes teaching me mutiya da saka and shialkot da saka, whats the significance of shialkot da saka?

i actually wanted to learn the 6 pure dhadhi raags, apparently once you can play these you can play the rest?

just out of curiosity, is there such thing as "Dhadhi raag"? i got into a debate with a singh today, can anyone post the history of dhadhi? how did it develop? why did it develop? who invented these raags?

also PSD and Chatanga, can you please post and upload pics of old school dhadhis such as Bhai Daya Singh Dilber, Bhai Avtar Singh, Bhai Nirmal Singh. id like this topic to be made into a topic where everyone can learn more about dhadhi, hence why i ask Admin to make this into a sticky.

Also PSD, you uploaded a video of Ajit Singh, which one is he in the alankaar video? Is he the one playing the dhad?

baint, mirja, kali, saka, and different chhands are sung....may be there other types of raag aswell, cant remember at this moment. its true, dhadis these days dnt sing in raag much. mainly in flimi tunes

dhadi raag is different to classical raag. but yes there is dhadi raag. as any decent dhadi ustaad about dhadi raag.

the 1st dhadi raag to be sang in the sikh darbar was "rasaloo" by natha and abdul in the presence of Sri Guru Hargobind Ji

Photos of Dhadi Jathe:

Below is a photo of Daya Singh Dilbar with Dhadi Dalip Singh 'Mast', Sarangi Master Ajit Singh (Ustad Ji) and Malkeet Singh Padher. Photo was taken in the UK in 1975

Photo below is of Nirmal Singh Noor with Dhadi Jagtar Singh, Sarangi Master Ajit Singh (Ustad Ji, same person as above photo) and Dhadi Guljaar Singh. Photo was taken in 1997 in the UK

post-1319-1230742709_thumb.jpg

just out of curiosity, is there such thing as "Dhadhi raag"? i got into a debate with a singh today, can anyone post the history of dhadhi? how did it develop? why did it develop? who invented these raags?

just as today we have the style of DHARNA when we want to tell a sakhi, in Guru times dhadi waran was the only way of doing this. Dhadi waran is inspiring, and Guru Ji used it to inspire Sikhs for battles and war, and a good dhadi jatha will inspire bir rass in anyone.

today if someone wants to tell a sakhi, it is much easier to do it dharna stlye than dhadi style. Dhadi style also involves a lot of poetry, and reading chhands, whearaas dharna can be done in simple panjabi.

it is not something that sikhi created but something that sikhi developed.

the 6 traditional raags were around before sikhi. i have an old cassete of a dhadi jatha telling tha sakhi of nankana sahib, and the recording is poor, but i like to listen to it, as they only perform in the 6 dhadi raags. go to any shop in india and you will find stuff like albela, who dont use any traditional stuff, and more flimy tunes, and in my opinion it is just drivel.

can anyone put up "rasaloo" anywhere please?

apparently, in the debate, mahraj never made the dhadhi raags. my ustad did confirm that and said that over time, the dhadi wale began to make their own raags as they had so much knowledge on music and could do that.

PSD i was hoping you could upload a pic of your dp, if you can do that?

the old casseetee my ustad has got now, i have no idea how to upload a tape onto the net, how can that be done? but i have never heard anything as amazing as that tape though.

jatha i dont know of the name. once i get the cassetee back i will let you know