What Is Rehat?

What is Rehat?

Guest shastr

i dont want to sound offending here but, barfi bhaji, instead of asking these lil qeustions like this, wat is god wat is rehat wat is this wat is that, i think if u use the search feature on the forum and do a lil bit of reading, maybe that would get the job done much better, as thse topics have been discussed in the past, and all u have to do is find them and read up.

but rehat would be the way we live our lifes, the set of rules a person might apply to everyday life, the amount of discipline we endure while trying t live life as guru ke sikhs.

a small example of this might be the amrit we shak, the 5 kakkars we wear, the 5 bani's we read, all the other bani, along with bana. everything tied together can be known as a person's rehat, or wise known as rehat maryada, or code of conduct.

but rehat is not only written in rehatname's but rehat is written in sri guru granth sahib ji, rehat is written in sri dasam granth, rehat is written in sri sarbloh granth sahib, rehat is in the jeevan's of our guru sahibs. but that is a seperate topic i guess.

Sorry shastr veerji if my questions have offended you. I want to know when the concept of rehat first came about. Was it after the death of Shiri Guru Gobind Singh. If Rehat is how we should live our lives then who decided what to put into the Rehat.

Guest shastr

ur first post didnt offend me, but the ur second one just did singho.

death of guru gobind singh ji? thre is no such thing as death when it comes to maharaj. "satgur mera sada sada, na avai na jae, oh abhinaasi purkh hai, sab meh raheya samae." "jo aaiya so chalsi, amar so gur kartar"

maharaj is still here today, but we need those eyes to see him. again, that would be a differnt topic, i dont wanna go offtopic here.

and rehat was decided by our guru's, like i said, rehat is found in the jeevan of our guru's, rehat is found inside guru granth sahib ji, rehat is found inside saakhis about great gursikhs of our past time.

My apologies. From what I understand rehat maryada cameb about after 'physical' death of Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji. I would like to know who compiled this first Rehat?

Guest shastr

then wat u understand is wrong. thats the nicest and most simplest way i could think of.

the 5 kakkar rehat came after guru gobind singh ji?? no!

amrit di daat came after guru gobind singh ji?? no!

bani and bana came after guru gobind singh j?? no!

one thing that did come after guru gobind singh ji was weak people who cant handle liveing their life the way our father told us, so they make up stuff and change puratan maryada, so its better suits their person lifestyles. and that is not called rehat maryada.

so i dont understand wat ur asking here, rehat is the u way u live ur life bro. and obviously that would be the way guru gobind singh ji lived their life, 5 kakkar, amrit di daat, bani and bana. and all of these were present before maharaj did joti jot. and they passed this on to their khalsa, to live that same lifestyle. do u get wat im saying??

wat exactly is ur question about rehat.

Rehat no doubt was around from Guru Nanak all the way through but none of the Guru's compiled it together. Someone else put it together....who was this first person and when did they do it...

Guest shastr

oh lord.

guru gobind singh ji is the man ur looking for. 1699 is the date all this stuff came together on 1 platform.

in 1699, guru ji gave his sikhs amrit di daat, he gave them bana, he gave them rehat of 5 bani's. along with this, guru ji told his khalsa of the 4 kurrets, otherwise known as the 4 sins which we should stay away from, hooka hajamat, halao, haraam.

in 1708, guru gobind singh ji does joti jot and gives the khalsa guru granth sahib ji, the guru of the sikhs till the end of time.

guru gobind singh ji himself did all of these things, maharaj set an example of rehat maryada by makeing his own jeevan an example of a way to live life, this way of life set forth by guru gobind singh ji, 10th guru of the sikhs is wat we all know today as rehat maryada.

In 1950 the "Sikh Rehat Maryada" was finally approved. The document has been accepted as the official version which provides guidelines for all Sikh individuals and communities around the world. Its implementation has resulted in a high level of uniformity in the religious and social practices of Sikhism.

Sikh Rehat Maryada is based on earlier codes (Rehat namas), the earliest of them are:

Tanakhah-nama (Nasihat Nama) Samvat 1776 (1718-19 CE), ten years after the death of Guru Gobind Singh. The Prahilad Rai Rehat-nama

Sakhi Rehat ki: About 1735 CE

Chaupa Singh Rehat-nama: 1740-1765 CE (1700 CE according to Piara Singh Padam). Chaupa Singh was a member of the Guru's retinue. He was entrusted with the care of infant Gobind Das by Guru Tegh Bahadur. Some members of Chaupa Singh's family became martyrs with the Guru Tegh Bahadur in Delhi and others served under the 10th Guru.

Desa Singh Rehat-nama: late 18th century

Daya Singh Rehat-nama etc

One person starts a store or advertising company or a restaurant or you name anything.

Lets take restaurant. He started it on very small scale, just making few dishes him and his wife knew. slowly slowly their dishes were liked by people. The dishes they made were delicious. He became popular. Had to spread the business. and finally had to make it more structured. Wrote menus, recipes, set the guideline for chefs, servers, waitors. He set the standards for each process. and slowly slowly as a whole set up it became more and more successful. People demanded more and at different places. He had to franchise it to his brothers.And finally he died and passed on the recipes, guidelines, standards and eveyrthing involved to his sons, brothers.

Now, Restaurant is still successful. But with changing times, changing needs the rules had to be changed but recipes have to stay same. but dishes had to be mild or hotter according to customers's needs.

Its not the best example, I dont think I am able to justify the way I desired, but now think it in terms of starting from Guru Nanak dev ji to Guru Gobind Sahib ji. How things progressed according to at that times needs.

Hope I am making sense, not fully to my satisfaction though.