Spiritual Self Awareness

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Do people find that although something is not written in books about sikhi, that certain information that is read in other books etc is SO related to sikhi?

Well anyway I read something about spiritual self awareness that I thought was just really cool. Maharaj always talks about how u can find him within yourselves. Your soul is a part of maharaj, therefore maharaj is within u. I should really put quotes here, but nothing came to mind straight away :/ Someone else more knowledgeable can help me here. But what I also found was I struggled with doing that, because it meant I had to think about myself. How do I think about myself without getting into the narrative of ‘meh meh meh’ – maya.

Anyway…here’s what I read…thought I would share….

Orthodox faiths are generally uncomfortable with what they see as self –serving spirituality. The word ‘self’ is often regarded negatively and thought to mean selfish. The word ‘self’ might be deemed contrary to the Christian exhortation to “love thy neighbour”, but this ignores the next part of the phrase, which is, “as thyself”. The emphasis on compassion for the weak often ignores the positive aspects within us, and can produce dislike for strength. But in spiritual development a strong inner self that comes with maturity is vital. In contemporary spiritual practice, self-respect and self-love are not thought to remove the person from God or higher states of being but rather become the very means by which first-hand communication with a higher power is reached, and from that it is believed that the emancipation of the true inner spirit can occur.

The negative aspects of self are like veils obscuring the true inner nature or highest self, and need to be parted or drawn away as the individual journeys deeper and deeper towards the core of his or her spirit……………………..wahegurooooooooooooooo!!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!