Deep Meanings Of Shabad

Bijla Singh

I came across this shabad many times but every time did not find its meanings to be correct. Prof. Sahib Singh, Faridkoti Teeka and Teeka by Sant Amir Singh Ji all interpret it the same way. Read the shabad and the translation.

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਰਤੀ ਰਤੁ ਨਿਕਲੈ ਜੇ ਤਨੁ ਚੀਰੈ ਕੋਇ

Fareed, not even a drop of blood would issue forth, if someone cut my body.

ਜੋ ਤਨ ਰਤੇ ਰਬ ਸਿਉ ਤਿਨ ਤਨਿ ਰਤੁ ਹੋਇ 51

Those bodies which are imbued with the Lord - those bodies contain no blood. ||51||

ਮਃ 3

Third Mehla:

ਇਹੁ ਤਨੁ ਸਭੋ ਰਤੁ ਹੈ ਰਤੁ ਬਿਨੁ ਤੰਨੁ ਹੋਇ

This body is all blood; without blood, this body could not exist.

ਜੋ ਸਹ ਰਤੇ ਆਪਣੇ ਤਿਤੁ ਤਨਿ ਲੋਭੁ ਰਤੁ ਹੋਇ

Those who are imbued with their Lord, do not have the blood of greed in their bodies.

ਭੈ ਪਇਐ ਤਨੁ ਖੀਣੁ ਹੋਇ ਲੋਭੁ ਰਤੁ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਜਾਇ

When the Fear of God fills the body, it becomes thin; the blood of greed departs from within.

ਜਿਉ ਬੈਸੰਤਰਿ ਧਾਤੁ ਸੁਧੁ ਹੋਇ ਤਿਉ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਭਉ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਮੈਲੁ ਗਵਾਇ

Just as metal is purified by fire, the Fear of God removes the filthy residues of evil-mindedness.

ਨਾਨਕ ਤੇ ਜਨ ਸੋਹਣੇ ਜਿ ਰਤੇ ਹਰਿ ਰੰਗੁ ਲਾਇ 52

O Nanak, those humble beings are beautiful, who are imbued with the Lord's Love. ||52||

The interpretation sounds like Bhagat Farid Ji is saying that blood will not issue forth if one was to cut the bodies of those who are imbued in Naam of Waheguru. Then Guru Amardas Ji says that this entire body is full of blood and without blood the body cannot exist. I find some contradiction here.

When I met Bhagat Jaswant Singh, student of Sant Gurbachan Singh Ji he told me different interpretation of this shabad which sounds much better and really shows how deep Gurbani is. Sant Ji interpreted word "Ratt" ਰਤੁ as prem or love. So he interpreted the shabad the following way.

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਰਤੀ ਰਤੁ ਨ ਨਿਕਲੈ ਜੇ ਤਨੁ ਚੀਰੈ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਜੋ ਤਨ ਰਤੇ ਰਬ ਸਿਉ ਤਿਨ ਤਨਿ ਰਤੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥51॥

ਫਰੀਦ, ਰਤੀ (ਥੋੜਾਂ) ਜਿੰਨਾ ਵੀ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ (ਰਤੁ) ਨਾ ਨਿਕਲੇਗਾ ਭਾਂਵੇਂ ਉਸ ਸਰੀਰ ਨੂੰ ਕੋਈ ਚੀਰ ਦੇਵੇ । ਜਿਹੜੇ ਬੰਦਿਆਂ ਦੇ ਤਨ ਰੱਬ ਦੇ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਨਾਲ ਰੱਤੇ ਹੋਏ ਹੁੰਦੇ ਹਨ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦੇ ਤਨ ਵਿਚ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੁੰਦਾ ।

ਕਿਹੜਾ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੁੰਦਾ? ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਖੋਲ੍ਹ ਕੇ ਦੱਸਦੇ ਹਨ।

ਮਃ 3 ॥

ਇਹੁ ਤਨੁ ਸਭੋ ਰਤੁ ਹੈ ਰਤੁ ਬਿਨੁ ਤੰਨੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥

ਇਹ ਸਾਰਾ ਤਨ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਉਦਸੇ (ਰੱਬ) ਦੇ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਬਗੈਰ ਇਹ ਤਨ ਨਹੀਂ (ਭਾਵ ਮੁਰਦਾ ਹੈ) ।

ਜੋ ਸਹ ਰਤੇ ਆਪਣੇ ਤਿਤੁ ਤਨਿ ਲੋਭੁ ਰਤੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥

ਜੋ ਆਪਣੇ ਖਸਮ ਦੇ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਵਿਚ ਰੱਤੇ ਹੋਏ ਹਨ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦੇ ਤਨਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਲੋਭ ਲਾਲਚ ਦਾ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਭਾਵ ਸਰੀਰ ਦਾ ਜਾਂ ਮਾਇਆ ਦਾ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਨਹੀਂ ।

ਭੈ ਪਇਐ ਤਨੁ ਖੀਣੁ ਹੋਇ ਲੋਭੁ ਰਤੁ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਜਾਇ ॥

ਜਦੋਂ ਪ੍ਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਭਾਣੇ (ਭੈ) ਵਿਚ ਜੀਵਨ ਬਤੀਤ ਕਰੀਏ ਤਾਂ ਸਰੀਰ ਲੋਭ ਦੇ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਦੇ ਨਿਕਲ ਜਾਣ ਨਾਲ ਸੁੱਕ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਭਾਵ ਲੋਭ ਰਹਿਤ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ ।

ਜਿਉ ਬੈਸੰਤਰਿ ਧਾਤੁ ਸੁਧੁ ਹੋਇ ਤਿਉ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਭਉ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਮੈਲੁ ਗਵਾਇ ॥

ਜਿਵੇਂ ਅੱਗ ਨਾਲ ਸੋਨਾ ਧਾਤ ਰਹਿਤ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਸ਼ੁੱਧ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ (ਸਿਰਫ ਸੋਨਾ ਰਹਿ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ) ਇਸੇ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਪ੍ਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਭੈ ਵਿਚ ਚਲਣ ਨਾਲ ਸਰੀਰ ਵਿਚੋਂ ਦੁਰਮਤ (ਦੂਜਾ ਭਾਓ ਜਾਂ ਹੋਰ ਕਿਸੇ ਮਾਇਆਵੀ ਪਦਾਰਥ ਦਾ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ) ਨਿਕਲ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਸਰੀਰ ਸ਼ੁੱਧ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ ।

ਨਾਨਕ ਤੇ ਜਨ ਸੋਹਣੇ ਜਿ ਰਤੇ ਹਰਿ ਰੰਗੁ ਲਾਇ ॥52॥

ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ ਉਹ ਜਨ ਹੀ ਸੋਹਣੇ ਹਨ (ਸ਼ੋਭਦੇ ਹਨ) ਜੋ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਰੰਗ ਵਿਚ ਰੱਤੇ ਹੋਏ ਹਨ ।

I personally find these meanings wonderful and very spiritual because our history shows that these meanings are absolutely true. When Bhai Mati Das Ji was sawn alive surely blood came out of his body but his love for Guru Sahib never came out. He always stayed imbued in love. He kept reciting JapJi Sahib even after his body was cut into two pieces. When Bhai Mani Singh was cut limb by limb (blood came out) his love did not lessen. When Bhai Taru Singh's scalp was removed he stayed immersed in Gurbani and simran for 20 days. Bhai Anokh Singh Babbar's martyrdom showed the same example. There are numerous other examples. Our great history has shown what kind of true devotee one must be so that even when body is cut, he stays calm and peaceful and fully immersed in simran. Great shaheeds had no love for their bodies. They always loved Waheguru.

Note My only intent is to share these deep meanings not to call other scholars wrong. I have not looked much into viyakaran of these meanings. Feel free to criticize.

Looking at this shabad for the first time, i anubhav (internal gyaan) that this shabad is ONLY talking about those gurmukhs who are completely imbued with prema bhagti..........when one has understanding of the gurmat principal of prema bhagti and turia pad, then one realizes the greatness of this shabad and also of the supreme avastha that Dhan Dhan Baba farid Sahib Ji had....Gramatically the word rath also means deep red colour, furthermore deep red colour is a metaphor of a deep prem rang of love with God....With this knowledge read Bhagat Farid Sahibs shabad again and look at just how amazing the arth become.