Art Of Spending

Fateh parwaan karro ji,

There's an old proverb in Punjab that says ' when money comes it kicks the individual in the back making his chest pop out (pride) and when it goes it kicks him in the stomach and makes the individual a kubba ( hunchback... signifying a loser).

When money comes in we tend to forget the usage angle when we buy. Then its the price tag.... phones costing $ 5000 or watches costing $ 10,000. Its the price tag that matters. And then when we are in public we do our very best to show 'the watch and phone'.... meaning we lose out identity to these things.

I recall an elder telling me ' if you can afford a Mercedes then by an Accord or Octavia' or keep leg room in case tomorrow you are forced to downgrade.

One who does 'shukar' and treats his 'kamai' as blessing from Guruji will never fall prey to 'the price tag' phenomena. His or her recognition is being a Gursikh and he or she will prefer to utilize the money meaningfully....investing and sharing.

We all have the urge to splurge,

But Naam helps us to control this urge.

Don't let things be your identity... your identity should be your Dharam,

And then don't forget ' kirat karro, naam jappo, wandh chako' is our karam.

And then don't forget when we die expensive watches, phones and jewelry are removed from the body,

That's because the atma has left and this body from somebody is nobody!

Our Atma does not need expensive adornments.... its adornments are our asli kamai (true earnings) in this birth!

And you may adorn yourself with millions but asli kamai is your true worth.

Art of spending.... before you decide to spend on something big do Simran for a few minutes. Keep in mind 'man makes things , things do not make man'. Quantify in you mind.... when I did not have this kind of money what would I have done if I got this kind of money in those days (helps keep you feet firmly planted on the ground).

Guru Rakha

Fateh parwaan karro jiyo,

I prayed for a bicycle,

I got it and then I’d ask for a mobike as I would cycle.

He gave me a mobike,

And then I prayed ‘ Dear God a car I would very much like’.

He gave me a car and after sometime I started praying for an upgrade,

And then he gave me for what I prayed.

Now I drive about in a swank car but now for a Merc I’m praying and a desperate voice,

And once I get a Merc I’m sure I’ll be requesting him for Bentley or Rolls Royce.

If only I’d mentally place myself on the cycle that he had blessed me,

If only His Blessings I were to see.

In my greed I did not say shukar and if I did say shukar it was while asking for more!

Despite this with me He never showed that He was sore.

Problem with us we are never satisfied and want more,

And I’m surprised that despite our greed and thanklessness He does not show us the door.

And if you are recognized by your car,

Then in life you really still have to go very very far.

Guru Rakha