Guru Har Rai Avtarpurab Raag Darbar

RaagDarbar

Guru_Har_Rai.jpg

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Vaheguru Ji Ki Fatheh!

With Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaaj's kirpa and following the success of the first Raag Darbar the time has arrived to celebrate Dhan Sri Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji's Avtarpurab.

All kirtan will be associated with the Raags that our beloved Gurus gifted us, so please make the effort to bless us with your darshan so that we the sangat of Guru Har Rai Gurdvara can do your seva.

As we try and follow in our Gurus Teachings of helping those in need, we have joint organised this event with Shaheed baba jivan singh academy who are doing the seva back home in punjab visit the website for more info http://shaheedbabajiwansingh.org/ The website will also contain the poster as I am having trouble uploading on sikhsangat.

The kirtan will coincide with the Akhand path for Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji Maharaaj, bhog will be the following morning.

DETAILS-

START - 8:00 PM - 12:30pm 30TH JANUARY HALL No1

Guru Har Rai Gurudvara

126-128 High street

WestBromwich

Westmidlands

B70-6JW

Contact

Jagdish Singh 0785 11 77 400

Jagjit Singh "Juggy" 0772 307 22 55

Their will also be a BOSS stall on the day and possibly other organisations also setting up.

YOU HAVE TO TRY THE GURU GHARS OWN PIZZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! which will be served throughout alongside the Langar.

The first Raag Darbar recordings are ready for upload and will be available shortly on G5 SIKH MEDIA, we are sorry for the delay as we experienced some difficulties with the recording equipment.

PLEASE ATTEND WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS!

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Vaheguru Ji Ki Fatheh!

Vaaheguroo Jee Kaa Khalsaa Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh

It's great to hear that theres another raag darbar, and good that its at my local Guru Ghar. There should be some Sakhis of Guru Har Rai Sahib Jee Maharaj on this thread as it is to celebrate Guru Jee's Avtar purab. Vaahegurooo.

Vaaheguroo Jee Kaa Khalsaa Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh

The seventh Guru of the Sikh faith, was the son of Baba Gurditta and grandson of Guru Hargobind, Nanak VI. He was born on 16 January 1630 at Kiratpur, in present-day Ropar district of the Punjab. In 1640, he was married to Sulakkhani, daughter of Daya Ram of Anupshahr, in Bulandshahr district of Uttar Pradesh. He was gentle by nature and had a devout temperament. He was Guru Hargobind's favourite grandchild, and he had been given the name of Har Rai by the Guru himself. Once, record old texts, Har Rai was returning home after his riding exercise. From a distance he saw Guru Hargobind sitting in the garden. He at once got off his horse to go and do him homage.In this hurry, his robe was caught in a bush and a few of the flowers were broken from their stems. This pained Har Rai's heart. He sat down on the spot and wept bitterly. Guru Hargobind came and consoled him. He also advised him: "Wear your robe by all means, but be careful as you walk. It behoves God's servants to be tender to all things." There was a deeper meaning in the Guru's words. One must live in this world, and yet be master of oneself.

Guru Hargobind knew Har Rai to be the fittest to inherit the "light" from him. He nominated him as his successor and consecrated him Guru before departing this life on 3 March 1644. Guru Har Rai kept the stately style Guru Hargobind had introduced. He was attended by 2,200 armed followers, but no further conflict with the ruling power occurred. He established three important preaching missions called bakhshishes for the spread of Guru Nanak's teaching. First was that of Bhagvan Gir, renamed Bhagat Bhagvan, who established missionary centres in eastern India. The second was that of Sangatla, renamed Bhai Pheru, who preached in Rajasthan and southern Punjab. Guru Har Rai also sent Bhat Gonda to Kabul, Bhai Nattha to Dhaka and Bhai Jodh to Multan to preach. The ancestors of present-day families of Bagarlan and Kaithal preached in the Malva region. Guru Har Rai himself travelled extensively in this area and a large number of people accepted his teaching. He confirmed the blessing earlier bestowed by Guru Hargobind on a poor boy, Phul, who became the founder of the families of Patiala, Nabha and Jind. These families ruled in their territories in the Punjab until recent years.

Kiratpur was Guru Har Rai's permanent seat. Here disciples and visitors came to seek blessings and instruction. The Guru kept the daily practice of his predecessors. The institution of langar, community eating, continued to flourish. Guru Har Rai chose himself the simplest fare which was earned by the labour of his own hands. In the morning, he sat in the sangat and explained the Sikh doctrine. He did not compose any hymns of his own, but quoted those of his predecessors in his discourses. He often repeated to his followers the following verses of Bhal Gurdas,Varan (XXVIII. 15): A true Sikh rises before the night ends, And turns his thoughts to God's Name,To charity and to holy bathing.He speaks humbly and humbly he walks,He wishes everyone well and he is joyed to give away gifts from his hand.He sleeps but little,And little does he eat and talk.Thus he receives the Guru's true instruction .He lives by the labour of his hands and he does good deeds.However eminent he might become,He demonstrates not himself.He sings God's praises in the company of holy men.Such company he seeks night and day.Upon Word is his mind fixed,And he delights in the Guru's will.

Unenticed he lives in this world of enticement

IT IS SAID THAT WHOEVER DOES ARDAAS IN THE COURT OF GURU HAR RAI SAHIB JI MAHRAAJ IS GRANTED THAT WISH

Sri Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji and the wounded snake

One day as Satguru Sri Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji Maharaj was hunting he saw a wounded snake crawling with difficulty. It was tortured by worms which it tried to shake off by wriggling and shaking its body. Guru Ji not only put the animal out of its pain, but granted it salvation. The author of the Suraj Parkash states that its spirit in the form of a bright light was seen to issue from its body and soar to the heaven.

The sikhs asked Guru Ji what the light was. Guru Ji replied, 'This serpent was in somewhat the same state as the python seen by my grandfather (Satguru Sri Guru Har Gobind Sahib Ji Maharaj) in Malwa. This serpent had been a pandit in a previous age, who used to falsely vaunt the power of the Veds. He asserted that he himself was Waheguru, but his conduct in no way justified such a boast. He used to also make injurious reflections on Guru Ji's hymns, saying, 'What is this hymn in this vulgar dialect?' He did not know that Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj's compositions were superior to the Veds. The Pandit's soul passed into this serpent, and the worms have been causing him to suffer for the deceit he practised on men and women. There were however some good acts to his credit from previous births and on this account he has met Guru Nanak Dev Jis followers and obtained salvation. As Satguru Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj has said:

'By association with the saints man has no travail;

There is no necessity to toil in their company;

On beholding and meeting them man becomes happy.

Carefully remember that however much you read Vedantic literature, it will be a source of misery unless you love Waheguru. Satguru Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj has also said:

'Though one be very beautiful, of high birth, clever, a divine in words and wealthy;

Yet shall he be deemed as dead, O Nanak, if he has no love for God

Where ever you are O my beloved Sikhs, believe in the words of Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj, worship Waheguru and boast not of your Vedantism. He who possessing no divine knowledge calls himself Guru shall have no happiness but on the contrary terrible suffering. The disciples of a false Guru shall lose their human birth in this world. A guru who possesses no holiness shall with his disciples endure terrible suffering.

O my beloved Sikhs, Where ever you are, listen to me, never consume any portion of offerings. They will not assist you in distress, but on the contrary, lead you into the power of Death, whose punishment shall wring from you loud lamentations. Perform honest labour, serve the saints and I shall everywhere be your succourer. As Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj has said:

'They who eat the fruit of their labour and bestow something,

O Nanak, recognise the right way'

A deficiency in your weights or want of equality in your scales must be avoided. Ever abide firm in your faith.'

The Sikhs then asked Guru Ji to give them further instruction in Sikhi. He replied, 'You must read the Granth Sahib, and not worship any inanimate object. When a Sikh dies sacred food should be prepared and distributed after reading the Sohila Sahib. There should be no mourning, but hymns of the Gurus should be sung, and the Granth Sahib should be intoned. No Gods or Goddesses should be deemed succourers of man. Reliance must be placed on the Immortal God alone.'

Guru Har Gobind had five sons and one daughter. The eldest son was Baba Gurditta who had two sons, Dhir Mal and Har Rai. Dhir Mal turned out disloyal and disobedient. He had some influence in the court of Emperor Aurangzeb and was in communication with the Guru's enemies. When Guru Har Gobind moved to Kiratpur, Dhir Mal with his mother, remained at Kartarpur and took possession of the Guru's property and also of the priceless original copy of the Adi Granth. He thought that as long as he had its possession, the Sikhs would look upon him as their religious leader and thus as mentioned in the last chapter, Dhir Mal refused Guru's invitation to come to Kiratpur on his father's death. Guru Har Gobind nominated Har Rai, younger brother of Dhir Mal, as his successor before he departed for the heavenly abode on March 3, 1644.

One day as a child, while passing through a garden, his loose flowing robes damaged some flowers and scattered their petals on the ground. This sight effected his tender heart and brought tears in his eyes. After that he always walked with his skirts tucked up, and resolved never to harm anything in the world. When he grew up, he carried the same spirit with him. He used Baba Farid's quotation frequently:

"All men's hearts are jewels; to distress them is not at all good;

If thou desire the Beloved, distress no one's heart."

Guru Har Rai was most magnanimous. His food was very simple, he did not desire dainty dishes. Whatever valuable offerings were made to him, he used to spend on his guests. On the advice of his grandfather, Guru Har Gobind, he kept twenty-two hundred mounted soldiers. In the afternoon he used to go to chase. The Guru took some of the animals he had obtained from the chase, freed them and protected them in a zoological garden, which he had made for the recreation of his followers. In the evening the Guru used to hold his court, listen to hymns sung by his choir, and then give divine instructions.

The Emperor Shah Jahan had four sons, Dara Shikoh, Shuja Mohammad, Aurangzeb, and Murad Bakhsh. Dara Shikoh who was the heir-apparent, was very dear to his father. Aurangzeb was very clever, cunning and ambitious, and aimed at succeeding to the throne. It is said that Aurangzeb administered tiger's whiskers in a dainty dish to Dara Shikoh who became dangerously ill as a consequence. The best physicians were consulted but in vain. The Emperor, filled with anxiety, sent for astrologers and diviners from every country but of no avail. The wise men arrived at a conclusion that until tiger's whiskers were removed from Dara's bowls, there was no hope of recovery. They were of the opinion that if a chebulic myrobalan weighing fourteen chitanks (14/16th of a pound) and a clove weighing one masha could be administered to the patient, he would be restored to health. The Emperor searched for these articles everywhere in his empire but in vain. At last some one told him that the required items were available in the Guru's storehouse. On the advice of his courtiers the Emperor found it necessary to humble himself before the Guru, and accordingly addressed him the following letter:

"Your predecessor, the holy Baba Nanak granted sovereignty to Emperor Babar, the founder of my dynasty; Guru Angad was exceedingly well disposed to his son, Emperor Humayun; and Guru Amar Das removed many difficulties from my grandfather Akbar's path. I regret that the same friendly relations did not subsist between Guru Har Gobind and myself, and that misunderstandings were caused by the interference of strangers. For this I was not to blame. My son Dara Shikoh is now very ill. His remedy is in your hands. If you give the myrobalan and the clove which are available in your store, and add to them your prayers, you will confer an abiding favor on me."

A noble carried the letter to the Guru at Kiratpur, who commented, "Behold, with one hand man breaks flowers, and with the other he offers them, but flowers perfume both hands alike. Although the axe cuts the sandal-tree, yet the sandal perfumes the axe. The Guru is, therefore, to return good for evil." He sent the necessary medicine which was administered to Dara Shikoh. The medicine effected a speedy and complete cure. The Emperor was naturally very pleased, forgot all enmity against the Guru, and vowed that he would never again cause any annoyance to him.

One day during a ride, the Guru halted and knocked at the door of a poor woman and said, "Good lady, I am very hungry, bring me the bread you have prepared." The woman, throbbing with joy, brought out some coarse bread which he partook on horseback, without washing his hands, and relished it very much. He then blessed the woman and cut off the shackles of her transmigration. Next day the Sikhs prepared dainty dishes with great attention to cleanliness and offered them to the Guru at the same hour. He laughed and said, "O Sikhs, I ate food from that woman's hands because she was holy. This food which you have prepared with attention to ancient ceremonial is not pleasing to me." The Sikhs asked, "O true king, yesterday you ate bread on horseback from the hands of an old woman whom you did not know. There was no consecrated space and the food was in every way impure. Today we have prepared the food for you; no impurity is attached to it, yet you reject it. Be kind enough to explain the reason." The Guru replied, " The woman with great devotion and faith prepared food for me out of what she had earned from the sweat of her brow. On this account the food was very pure, and I partook of it. The Guru is hungry for love and not for dainty dishes. In the matter of love for God, no rule is recognized. It is not what man eats that pleases God, it is man's devotion that is acceptable to Him."