2012 Census - I Dont Get It

SikhRoots

VJKK VJKF

Please can someone help me understand something as I am not that knowledgeable on the subject. But why are Sikhs trying to get a seperate tick box in the 2012 census - and that in the "Ethnic Background" option? I mean, I have heard the argument that Sikhs want a seperate tick box like "Arab" etc... but doesnt the Ethnic Background option refer to a geographical location as to where are roots are from, rather than our religion? I would have thought the two were seperate things? I might be totally wrong here so if someone can correct me, that would be great.

Thanks

ps. I hear there wont be any more census' after 2012 due to the stupidity of many in filling out the 2002 census and its huge financial cost.

The reason is that, by law, Sikhs in the UK are considered an ethnic group. So the census should reflect that. It's the same for Jews, despite there being Jews of various races.

wrong. sikhs are considered an ethnic group within the understanding of the race relations act in the establishment of the right to tie a turban during the mandla vs lee case - see turbanology dvd on amazon.

it's an interpretation of the law ... it doesnt make us an ethnic group. wouldnt it be better being recognised as a religion?

i'm not convinced of the debate neither - if the problem is recognising religion surely it's better putting sikh resources into making sure sikhs fill in their forms properly. if it's abt access to govt funds, im sorry when do the sikhs take state hand outs - we're the 2nd richest ethnic minority group next to jews in uk.

I agree about govt handouts - that's wrong. I think the people pushing for the ethicity box on the forms feel that we'll have more political clout if recognised. You also have to bear in mind that race is more protected than religion, as far as discrimination laws etc are concerned.

Sikhi is more than just ticking a box on a piece of paper. I think its sad we are trying to count in people who are merely born into Sikh families but don't care about Sikhi or religion at all - and theres many of them about. If Sikhism is included in the religion section and its voluntary, I am certain that people who at least have respect for Sikhi and those who are Gursikhs will tick that box because they are proud of their religion. Personally, I wouldnt want an immature <banned word filter activated> with a khanda tattoo on his arm who drinks alcohol, smokes and parties like theres no tomorrow to tick that box classing himself as Sikh on that census.

We've always been taught that Sikhi is about quality and jeevan... not numbers. Remember : 1 = 175,000