Uk Vaisakhi Nagar Keertan

VJKK VJKF

It's all good that the nagar keertan is happening, it's absolutely brilliant that we get to have these here in the UK freely and openly.

HOWEVER, why on earth does it have to be backed up by all these manmukh/anti-sikhi companies such as B4U movies, colours, sahara, sony, ary digital, view asia etc ?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????????????????????

IT MAKES NOOOO SENSE TO ME! Pleeeaseee somebody give me a sikhi-fied reason why this is allowed... pleeeeeease!!

I mean if the nagar keertan can only happen if these companies are supporting or sponsoring it (or whatever they are doing), then surely the nagar keertan shouldn't happen...?? because you shouldn't do something bad so that you can do something good should you?

im totally and utterly confused.com about this, please shed some light sangat jeeo!

VJKK VJKF

Yeah i noticed that on the Birmingham Mela posters. But the organisers have to profit somehow - including the Sikh organisations associated with it! ;-)

Its true what you're saying though. The tv channels etc above dont promote a Gursikh way of life at all. Infact quite the opposite. They pull people away from Gurbani. AND doesnt it amaze you that the Sikh Channel isnt even advertised on there? I mean 8+ manmukh channels advertised but no Sikh Channel. Thats worrying for sure.

I am sure someone will argue that this is also a Punjabi event with the mela n all, but thats bull. You got two Nagar kirtans going to the park, Maharaj will be present, and Maharaj cancels out everything else so this is a Gursikhi event - well at least it should be.

Having the Nagar Kirtan is a form of parchaar which unfortunatly costs alot of money. By having View Asia as the media partner they are many benefits.

First, they pay to be Media Partners which helps us to raise the funds to run this event. The Council of Sikh Gurdwara's In Birmingham does not profit at all. In fact the payment given to Birmingham City Council from the last two years is still in some respect is outstanding. The Accounts are available at request. But we choose to carry on with the positive form of parchaar ad the benefits outweigh the cons.

Secondly, View Asia as media partners not only show ads for the event on their 7 channels, but also record it and show it on their channels. This provides exposure of Sikhi and parchaar to a much wider audience than just the Sikhs. If the Sikh Channel recorded it and showed it on their channel, most people watching it would already know what Vaisakhi is, what a Nagar Kirtan is, who the Sikhs are and who our Guru is. Its as if preaching to the converted. Many people from other religions and cultures aswell as a huge number of Sikhs watch View Asia. Preaching to them about Sikhi is much more beneficial and gives the Panth more exposure to the outside world.

Having the Nagar Kirtan is a form of parchaar which unfortunatly costs alot of money. By having View Asia as the media partner they are many benefits.

First, they pay to be Media Partners which helps us to raise the funds to run this event. The Council of Sikh Gurdwara's In Birmingham does not profit at all. In fact the payment given to Birmingham City Council from the last two years is still in some respect is outstanding. The Accounts are available at request. But we choose to carry on with the positive form of parchaar ad the benefits outweigh the cons.

Secondly, View Asia as media partners not only show ads for the event on their 7 channels, but also record it and show it on their channels. This provides exposure of Sikhi and parchaar to a much wider audience than just the Sikhs. If the Sikh Channel recorded it and showed it on their channel, most people watching it would already know what Vaisakhi is, what a Nagar Kirtan is, who the Sikhs are and who our Guru is. Its as if preaching to the converted. Many people from other religions and cultures aswell as a huge number of Sikhs watch View Asia. Preaching to them about Sikhi is much more beneficial and gives the Panth more exposure to the outside world.

yeh, i do see your point and it does make sense. But it's not about whether the gurdwareh make money or not is it? I thought it's about the effect that these actions (such as the promotion of these channels) have on the sangat, because some people may think "oh wow these channels are supporting the nagar keertan and the sikhs are happily doing this, so that must mean it's ok to watch these channels!".... can u see what i mean?

I still kinda agree with you though azaad... but, i dno... im just thinking that if we are going to do parchaar then we should do it with 100% Sikhi put into it and no help from manmat channels, even if it IS doing parchaar to non-sikh sangat by advertising the nagar keertan... if vaaheguroo wants those specific people to get into sikhi then he'll find a way thats appropriate through 100% sikhi, what you think?

sorry if i offended anybody, it wasnt intentional at all, im jus confused whether these things are acceptable in sikhi... wacko.gif