Sign in to follow this  
G-Kaur

Head Covering For Singhnis

Fateh Jee

Just wondered whether there's any Amritdhari women who do not wear Keski, how do you cover your head? Isnt it difficult to cover it all the time with a chunni, and the patka with chunni over the top resembles the islamic scarf a little, so just wondering how you manage it?

Thanks

Gurfateh!

I have seen women in toronto tie this style of patka:Joora patka style

I think this style is better then just a rumaal, becuz rumaal slip off, this stays on longer if u tie a rumaal underneath then tie patka, and plus all ur hair gets covered properly,

but to tell u the truth dastar is the most comfortable, i use to do a joora but i have really heavy hair, so when i started tying a dastar it felt the most comfortable, ur choice to tie it on ur ears or over, u can do so many styles

you do not have to wear a chunni over ur dastar or patka, its ur choice basically

Fateh Jee

Thankyou Bhainjee :) that was really helpful, that style looks a lot better than the chunni and the rumaal. It's almost a Keski really I guess.

Thanks again :cool:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Topics

• In ultimate truth time is an illusion (Akal). All there is, is present the now. God created itself in many forms to create contrast ( limiting itself in forms)
    • There is a massive difference between the Sikh experience in the UK vs the US. The UK is a much better place to be a Sikh. The biggest difference-maker is population density. According to the 2011 census, there were (at the time) about 432,000 Sikhs in the UK. Accounting for some population growth and uncounted people (such as illegal immigrants), there are probably at least 500,000 Sikhs in the UK today. Now take into consideration that the UK has a population of about 67 million crammed into a relatively small island. And also consider that most of the Sikhs live in certain parts of the UK that have relatively large Sikh populations (e.g. West London, Birmingham area, etc.). There are not official figures on Sikhs in the US, but based on data about people from and Indian background and Punjab-speaking background, 250,000 is probably a very conservative upper bound on the US Sikh population. And then consider that the US is a massive country and has a population of about 330 million. As a consequence, Sikhs are much less visible and much less powerful (as a community) in the US than they are in the UK. In the UK, I feel like most people have an awareness of who Sikhs are. When I have been in the UK, it is a bit of a relief to not feel like I have to constantly point out that I'm not an Arab or a Muslim. In the US, nobody had a clue what a Sikh was when I was growing up. It is getting a bit better now, but it's still not great.   Anyway, aside from how Sikhs are viewed by the general population, I think the population density of Sikhs is most important for the Sikh community itself. It makes for a greater support system for more religiously inclined Sikhs. Further, the critical mass enables people who don't come from religious families to nevertheless gain exposure to Sikhi and get into it as they grow older. That's probably why examples of monay who become Singhs are much more frequent in the UK than in the US.    
    • Just found he is Muslim. And he sang the praise of the Khalsa..... amazing. 
    • Maybe worth letting some of them join and see what they post as could be people interested in Sikhi from Hindu backgrounds. 
    • well so far China has built an outpost inside LOC and the silk road motorway project is moving forward when this completes then it will be easy for China to attack deep into India, pakistan, iran, turkey  and into Europe . Modi will goad then surrender territory to China and then call for boycott of china goods whilst giving multi-million contracts to China's CCP party . Osho was right India is a nation of cowards and two faced people. This is the reward for attacking Harmandir Sahib, killing sant lok and making Gursikhs miserable - destruction by Akal Purakh.

Important Information

Terms of Use