Can Someone Explain This To Me?

Okay, so this is my first post, and I will admit that I am still learning about the religion (despite being born into it). Keeping that in mind, I ask that you forgive any misunderstandings that I may have. I have two questions that have been on my mind and I'm not really sure of the answers.

1) I am not sure about the idea of an impersonal and personal God in Sikhism. Is God in Sikhism personal or impersonal? I ask because if God is impersonal and does not directly interfere with human affairs then what is the point of praying in the first place?

2) I know that heaven for a Sikh is to merge with God, but does this mean everything I am essentially ceases to be. If I am merged into God then wouldn't I lose my personality and who I am as a whole? How could I possibly retain who I am if I was merged into a being as great as God? It is the idea of people being a drop of water and God being an ocean. Everything that made that drop of water distinct is now gone as it blends in with trillions of other drops that make up the ocean. In Christian and Muslim heavens you retain your personality and are able to be with family and friends who have passed, but it seems like in Sikhism family and friends would have their personalities cease to exist as they merge into the ocean that is God (otherwise they are reincarnated). As a result, it's like those you cared for no longer exist.

I know these may seem like silly questions to some, but I ask that only people with serious answers respond.

[WJKK WJKF

Answers to your questions:

1. Personal without a doubt

2.Heaven in Sikhe is immersed in naam 24*7 with every breath and seeing the God's form in everything.You don't retain your personality but rise above to the personality of a Gurmukh from manmukh

Okay, so this is my first post, and I will admit that I am still learning about the religion (despite being born into it). Keeping that in mind, I ask that you forgive any misunderstandings that I may have. I have two questions that have been on my mind and I'm not really sure of the answers.

1) I am not sure about the idea of an impersonal and personal God in Sikhism. Is God in Sikhism personal or impersonal? I ask because if God is impersonal and does not directly interfere with human affairs then what is the point of praying in the first place?

God doesn't interfere with humans, but guides his creation at his command. What God is, you need to go to Mool Mantar and study the Bani. God is neither impersonal and personal. He can take up form and drop it in the same second. Waheguru ultimate form is the formless, which means he's without emotions and without any human traits. Why do we pray, for this read Anand Sahib the paat. The answer lies in the first couple of pauris. When we pray it brings us closer to Waheguru. When we get closer to Waheguru we get closer to becoming eternal and realizing the true meaning of why we are here.

2) I know that heaven for a Sikh is to merge with God, but does this mean everything I am essentially ceases to be. If I am merged into God then wouldn't I lose my personality and who I am as a whole? How could I possibly retain who I am if I was merged into a being as great as God? It is the idea of people being a drop of water and God being an ocean. Everything that made that drop of water distinct is now gone as it blends in with trillions of other drops that make up the ocean. In Christian and Muslim heavens you retain your personality and are able to be with family and friends who have passed, but it seems like in Sikhism family and friends would have their personalities cease to exist as they merge into the ocean that is God (otherwise they are reincarnated). As a result, it's like those you cared for no longer exist.

I know these may seem like silly questions to some, but I ask that only people with serious answers respond.

Your current personality, lke everyone else is blocking you from see Waheguru and realizing that only Waheguru exist and everything else is just a play. Family and friends and the attachment to them are the barier that block your vision of Waheguru. What you see and attachment toward family is an outer shell that needs to be broken. Keep reading Gurbani and you will find the answer. Sri Guru Teg Bahadur Sahib ji had a shabad on this matter, I can't remember which ang sung it is on. When I find it, I will surely put it up here.

I want to thank the both of you for your answers! Thanks for taking the time to help me out

Curioussingh, this is the shabad I was speaking about:

This Shabad is by Guru Tegh Bahaadur Ji in Raag Dhanaasree on Pannaa 684

DnwsrI mhlw 9 ]

dhhanaasaree mehalaa 9 ||

Dhanaasaree, Ninth Mehla:

swDo iehu jgu Brm Bulwnw ]

saadhho eihu jag bharam bhulaanaa ||

O Holy people, this world is deluded by doubt.

rwm nwm kw ismrnu CoifAw mwieAw hwiQ ibkwnw ]1] rhwau ]

raam naam kaa simaran shhoddiaa maaeiaa haathh bikaanaa ||1|| rehaao ||

It has forsaken the meditative remembrance of the Lord's Name, and sold itself out to Maya. ||1||Pause||

mwq ipqw BweI suq binqw qw kY ris lptwnw ]

maath pithaa bhaaee suth banithaa thaa kai ras lapattaanaa ||

Mother, father, siblings, children and spouse - he is entangled in their love.

jobnu Dnu pRBqw kY md mY Aihinis rhY idvwnw ]1]

joban dhhan prabhathaa kai madh mai ahinis rehai dhivaanaa ||1||

In the pride of youth, wealth and glory, day and night, he remains intoxicated. ||1||

dIn dieAwl sdw duK BMjn qw isau mnu n lgwnw ]

dheen dhaeiaal sadhaa dhukh bha(n)jan thaa sio man n lagaanaa ||

God is merciful to the meek, and forever the Destroyer of pain, but the mortal does not center his mind on Him.

jn nwnk kotn mY iknhU gurmuiK hoie pCwnw ]2]2]

jan naanak kottan mai kinehoo guramukh hoe pashhaanaa ||2||2||

O servant Nanak, among millions, only a rare few, as Gurmukh, realize God. ||2||2||

Your true self is akin to god, you are pure, you have pure virtues i.e godlike virtues, we are all a part of him.

It's only when we shed the filth of the five thieves, anger, greed, lust, envy and ego and attach ourselves to god who is pure do we begin to become connected to him and more like him again. It's pretty complicated but enlightenment is finding the truth. This mainly means discovering who you truly are.

In nutshell, when you find god you find your true nature, so you're not losing anything, just finding your true self and shedding all illusion. You will never feel happier or more self aware than you will when you are enlightened (and the drop merges with the ocean).