Internal Struggle When It Comes To Family

autiegirl1980

I am not sure if this is the right place to be posting this question, but I am very curious as to what you all have to say about the situation, or what you have gone through if you have been in a similar spot.

I hope that I do not sound too naive, as I have read a lot and am continuously learning more, and I realize there is a lot left for me to learn.

I am in the U.S., I'm caucasian, and I live in Missouri. I'm not sure how much people around here really understand the Sikh religion at all.

Over the past few weeks, I have really been debating switching faiths, and started looking around to see what other religions are all about. I happened to stumble upon Sikhi via google search, and I must say, what I have read is absolutely amazing and beautiful in general. I'm really really drawn to it (it just feels "right"), and know I need to learn a LOT more in general... but that isn't so much where my problem lies. I'm almost 100% positive that this is the direction I want to go, as most of my values and morals seem to be very similar, and my ideas in faith are very similar anyway. I thought for a long time that my beliefs were of my own creation, but they always seemed the most logical, to me... and now I find a group that believes exactly what I have for all of these years. I'm amazed.

My problem, however, is since 9/11 my family really looks down on anyone that does not look like they "belong" here in their eyes. My mother, especially, and I am almost positive that she would disown me if she noticed I had my hair covered at all times, because she would immediately think "Islam" just due to all of the negative media attention in general over here.

If I was to convert, which I likely will anyway, I would definitely wear a turban. I've already thought a lot about that alone, as that is the part that would create the most tension in my family. No, I wouldn't wear it BECAUSE it would cause the tension, lol, but because it is part of the religion. A scarf would be maybe more suitable around my mother, as it would cause her the least discomfort, I suppose....

About other people around here, I really don't care what they think. I have autism, so am usually outcasted anyway by them. But because of that, my immediate family means that much more to me to have them for support and to care about me and all.... that it is quite distressing to think of the consequences that may become due to me choosing such a beautiful and wholesome religion... which, it doesn't seem should happen. That, in itself, that negative consequences may become from it, is quite a paradox.

I have the most appreciation for a site being here for me to ask about this issue, and that has so much information that I can learn even more from you all. I do hope that maybe somebody can give me some advice, or share stories at least about their own experiences if something similar has happened to them.

I am so happy that I found this site-I just know that I will forever be learning from all of you, and am very excited to get more involved in the learning process and to read what you have to say.

Welcome im pretty new to this site, enjoy your stay. What i would recommend is you to not jump in to the deep end straight away, start with little steps maybe read about stories of the Gurus at first.

Oh for sure :) That is where I'm starting, but this one just feels so right already that I'm anticipating future things, more or less. I do plan to learn everything I can, or at least a lot, as the knowledge is likely endless :) before doing too much. I want to make sure I understand things to the best of my abilities before diving in.

I would begin by incorporating a regular meditation practice. As this practice deepens you will strengthen from within. This will help you deal with any unfortunate circumstance that might come up. A lot of people who don't understand Gurbani just listen to it as a meditation to quieten the mind. There are actually videos which play Gurbani and have the english translation shown on youtube.

I would begin by incorporating a regular meditation practice. As this practice deepens you will strengthen from within. This will help you deal with any unfortunate circumstance that might come up. A lot of people who don't understand Gurbani just listen to it as a meditation to quieten the mind. There are actually videos which play Gurbani and have the english translation shown on youtube.

Thank you very much :) I will look up some of them. I have been playing them in the background anyway, as they are just beautiful and calming anyway-I'm sure it will just make them that much more when I find the ones with the words to them so that I know what is being said, lol. My son listened to some as he fell asleep last night and said it was the best sleep he has had in a long time.

Thank you very much :) I will look up some of them. I have been playing them in the background anyway, as they are just beautiful and calming anyway-I'm sure it will just make them that much more when I find the ones with the words to them so that I know what is being said, lol. My son listened to some as he fell asleep last night and said it was the best sleep he has had in a long time.

np.

For a good meditation technique, combine what's taught in the following vid with your breath.

http://khojee.wordpr...ran-techniques/

There are other techniques and info contained on this blog.