Giani Ditt Singh And Faridkot Wala Teeka

I can't remember if i read this in a book or listened to it in a katha. It said that Giani Ditt Singh was asked to be in the committee that met and wrote the Faridkota wala teeka, he met the pundits and gianis but that when he found that they were putting hindu ideas into the teeka he left and didn't want to be part of the translation team.

Does anyone know more about this event. Which book or anything that mentions this event or is this a made up event.

Benares ke thug ji

There were no pundits involved in faridkot teeka. .

These are crap stories floated by singh sabha canada/ missionaries. They are an anti sikh organization and their head Jeonwala is excommunicated by Akal takhat.

This thug is doing bukwas against this teeka in the top video.His statement is a propaganda without any basis. Such manmukh when engaged in gurmat discussion

had no clue what he is talking about.

It was Bhai Gurmukh Singh Ji of Singh Sabha Lahore, not Giani Ditt Singh Ji.

The Fareedkoti Teeka was compiled under the aegis of Raja Bikram Singh of Fareedkot and Baba Khem Singh Bedi.

Baba Khem Singh Bedi was a pro-Sanatanist who sat on a gaddi (dias) parallel to Sri Guru Granth Sahib, as he traced his family lineage to Guru Nanak Dev Ji.

Raja Bikram Singh of Fareedkot was a admirer of Baba Khem Singh Bedi, and sponsored the compilation of what is now known as "Fareedkoti Teeka". At an assembly organized by Raja Bikram Singh, several Singh Sabha Lahore sewadars, including Bhai Gurmukh Singh came. Mahant Sumer Singh of Patna Sahib, Giani Badan Singh Nirmala and many other Gianis of that time were also present at that meeting.

Upon hearing the Sanatanist/Vedantic slant that was being presented by the rest of the Gianis, Bhai Gurmukh Singh became discouraged and told Raja Bikram Singh that these Gianis will not be able to provide the proper interpretation of Gurbani and are not worthy of compiling a teeka. Bhai Gurmukh Singh and the Singh Sabha Lahore sevadars refused to participate in the compilation of this teeka.

The above incident is documented in the records of Sri Guru Singh Sabha Lahore, and printed in various books on the Singh Sabha Movement.

Bhai Vir Singh Ji's reference book "Sri Guru Granth Kosh" also states that the interpretations of Gurbani had taken a Sanatanist flavor during the reign of Maharaja Ranjit Singh.

Despite the Vedantic leaning interpretations, the endeavor taken by the Fareedkoti Teeka compilersis still appreciated by Sikh scholars.

Bhai Vir Singh Ji's reference book "Sri Guru Granth Kosh" also states that the interpretations of Gurbani had taken a Sanatanist flavor during the reign of Maharaja Ranjit Singh.

There was no teeka available during Maharaja sahib's time. Do not forget that the premises were in control of Nihungs and akali Phoola singh

was their leader. he knew Gurmat better than anyone else as he practiced Gurmat and not merely talked it.. He will not allow Gurbani to be twisted by anyone..

I have read that there was a granthi of harmandir sahib who was very poor, Someone approached

Maharaja sahib to give something to this Granthi. Maharaja personally went to see him in disguise. Granthi came to know and refused to meet Ranjit singh.

He went to his home and bolted the door. maharaja begged for him to open the door but he did not budge. Maharaja had to come back without meeting him.

How can such a selfless person ever scheme to alter the meanings of gurbani.

Also singhfauja ji , if you can provide a reference other than singh sabha canada source, it will be appreciated.

Singh sabha canada also propagates that old singh sabha stalwarts Gurmukh singh and Giani ditt singh were against Dasam Granth sahib. They also condemn

BHai Vir singh ji as a Brahminical writer. Such denunciations by them and missionaries arise because of a different philosophical stance towards Gurmat. They consider sikhi

as not a mystic path. We should not buy whatever they say.

There was no teeka available during Maharaja sahib's time. Do not forget that the premises were in control of Nihungs and akali Phoola singh

was their leader. he knew Gurmat better than anyone else as he practiced Gurmat and not merely talked it.. He will not allow Gurbani to be twisted by anyone..

I have read that there was a granthi of harmandir sahib who was very poor, Someone approached

Maharaja sahib to give something to this Granthi. Maharaja personally went to see him in disguise. Granthi came to know and refused to meet Ranjit singh.

He went to his home and bolted the door. maharaja begged for him to open the door but he did not budge. Maharaja had to come back without meeting him.

How can such a selfless person ever scheme to alter the meanings of gurbani.

Also singhfauja ji , if you can provide a reference other than singh sabha canada source, it will be appreciated.

Singh sabha canada also propagates that old singh sabha stalwarts Gurmukh singh and Giani ditt singh were against Dasam Granth sahib. They also condemn

BHai Vir singh ji as a Brahminical writer. Such denunciations by them and missionaries arise because of a different philosophical stance towards Gurmat. They consider sikhi

as not a mystic path. We should not buy whatever they say.

Wha singhfauja is refering about is maharaja of faridkot , while GPS<<you are refering about MAharaja Ranjit singh.further do you have any reason to offer

why we should buy to your point of view only?

jaswinder singh ji it seems you have not read my post properly. READ it properly before jumping to the gun. My answer was in response to the following line

My view point is given in the end.It says that singh sbaha canada/ missionaries do not believe in mystic aspects of sikhi.

That is the reason they discard whole exercise of naam simran.Do you support their viewpoint on this?

Please see the videos and listen to bukwas of Gurcharan Jeonwala about BHai Bala ji. He is arguing that there was no bhai bala ji.

Do you buy that?

GPS Ji,

I have no idea what "Singh Sabha Canada" has written, nor do I use them for reference.

What I stated is a pretty well known fact that Prof. Gurmukh Singh decided to NOT participate with the compilation of the Fareedkoti teeka due to the Vedantic angle being presented by the other Gianis.

Here is a short excerpt from Jathedar Kartar Singh Jhabbar's biography that also details this same incident:

"Differences had cropped up in the Amritsar Singh Sabha on the point of Baba Khem Singh Bedi sitting with a cushion in the presence of Guru Granth Sahib. Kanwar Bikram Singh and Bhai Gurmukh Singh objected to this practice. This led to opposition against Bhai Gurmukh Singh. During this period, Maharaja Faridkot arranged translation of Guru Granth Sahib by Mahant Sumer Singh of Patna Sahib. The Mahant would interpret Gurbani in the hall. On hearing Gurbani explanation, Bhai Gurmukh Singh found it based on pristine Hindu tradition which was against Gurmat and requested the Maharaja not to have it done by the Mahant, for he found the latter incapable of understanding Gurbani." (Jathedar Bhai Kartar Singh Jhabbar -- The Life and Times, by : Bhai Narayan Singh MA, Published by : Dharam Parchar Committee, SGPC)

There are others that mention it, I don't have the references in front of me. I do know 'Punjab deean Leharaan' also mentions this exact incident, but most importantly the original records of Sri Guru Singh Sabha Lahore also contain chronicle this incident.

Also, I did not state anything about any teeka during maharaja Ranjit Singh's reign - I just stated that Bhai Vir Singh Ji indicates in his book that interpretations given by Gianis during that time were of Santanist/Vedantic nature.

There was plenty of manmat that was going on during maharaja Ranjit Singh's reign, please understand that Akali Phoola Singh Ji was not at Akal Bunga all of the time, nor did he control the manat that occured in Ranjit Singh's palaces. There was a concerted effort by the Dogras and others to keep Akali Phoola Singh Ji and Hari Singh Nalwa at a distance from maharaja Ranjit Singh. That is one reason so much manmat flowed in the royal palaces and other centers of raj. We can talk about that at a later time.

One of the darkest times for Sikhi was after maharaja Ranjit Singh's demise, in terms of loss of Grumat, rehat, and personal character of Gurdwara caretakers. It did not happen overnight. The Vedantic images painted across the Sri Dabar Sahib complex and the Brahamic rituals that began to crop up at Sikh religious centers are a testament to that era.

Gurcharan jeonwala is telling the same thing in the above video about faridkot teeka. He is going a little furtehr when he says

that this teeka is written by Brahmins.

Faridkot teeka is accepted by Panth. I fail to understand if it was brahminical how it was accepted by sikh panth. May be some people

have the tendency to call those Brahmins with whom they do not agree.

Akal takhat was under control of Nihungs during maharaja ranjit singh's time. This is testified by many foreign visitors during Ranjit singh and Sher singh's rule.

Nihungs know better about Gurmat than many of us. They wrote that Acalis did not allow them to enter Darbar sahib.

May be we have a tendency to criticize everything connected with past sikh history, sikh nobility, sikh saints, sikh traditions of past era etc.

We should not forget that sikhism has different units who have all contributed to progress of sikhi. So far they do good for the advancement of sikhism we should

accept them.We should not forget many of these units were there during Guru sahib's time as well. For example udasis were there during Guru sahib's time

and Guru Gobind singh ji has described the bravery of Mahant kirpal in a battle in dasam granth sahib. if guru sahib had tolerance and respect towards their existence who are

we to condemn them.

ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲ ਕੋਪਿਯੰ ਕੁਤਕੋ ਸੰਭਾਰੀ ॥ ਹਠੀ ਖਾਨ ਹਯਾਤ ਕੇ ਸੀਸ ਝਾਰੀ ॥

क्रिपाल कोपियं कुतको स्मभारी ॥ हठी खान हयात के सीस झारी ॥

Kirpal in rage, rushed with his mace and struck it on the head of the tenacious Hayaat Khan.

ਉੱਠੀ ਛਿਛਿ ਇਛੰ ਕਢਾ ਮੇਝ ਜੋਰੰ ॥ ਮਨੋ ਮਾਖਨੰ ਮਟਕੀ ਕਾਨ੍ਹ ਫੋਰੰ ॥੭॥

उठी छिछि इछं कढा मेझ जोरं ॥ मनो माखनं मटकी कान्ह फोरं ॥७॥

With all his might, he caused the marrow flow out of his head, which splashed like the butter spattering out of the pitcher of butter broken by lord Krishan.7.

bachitra natak

They are far better than today's missionaries and kala afghana chelas who say that there is no concept of naam simran, no karmic theory,no bhai bala,

no reincarnation, no amrit vela concept , no gurmantra in sikhism. Such atheist elements have no respect for our Gurus. They are our number

one enemy as they are the ones who are distorting basic sikh doctorine. We should be fighting them and not our own.