Running Away From Seva

Guest worn out bibi

Guest worn out bibi

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru JI Ki Fateh!

About a year and half ago I use to volunteer at a medical clinic located inside the Gurudwara Sahib. I use to love it, I had huge dreams for it. The clinic was in horrible condition when I started, so I started putting in effort to get it fixed up. I set up this plan where each member of the sangat could volunteer to help us get one item, whatever was in their range. So there was no pressure on any one person, I wouldn't have to be dependent on the Gurudwara Committee to give us money and their would be huge amounts of transparency. I created the whole plan and then when I went to implant the plan I was told by the nurses I couldn't go through with it unless I got it approved by the Gurudwara President (though as far as the committee is concerned all members are suppose to be equal (no presidents)), so I went to him to show him the project and he took my file. Said he would get back to me next week about it, it was never shown to the committee ( i know because my father is on it) and he never talked to me or gave me my file back. There was very minimal work done in the clinic and all by this man. Now his family treat the clinic like they own it and I haven't been inside it since that day.

Well, yesterday the nurse approached, a year and half later, to ask why I don't come to the clinic anymore and do seva. I made an excuse that my punjabi class is usually around the same time as the clinic is in session and asked what I could do for her. The clinic needs someone to do fundraising and I told her I couldn't do it. I feel guilty but I don't want to face the same thing all over again, i can't take it. But am I wrong, for not helping? for saying no to seva?

wouldnt it have been better to have your father present it to the committee with you present?

the problem with committees are that they have no balls, they are very hesitant with new ideas, but if these ideas come to fruition, then they are like, yeah, it was all our idea...

i have seen it before with our gurdwara commitee. But you should never haver given up going in the 1st place. You handed them the advantage.

Benji,

When the pardhan never got back to you did you not go to him and ask why nothing had been done ?

If your father is on the committee did he not enquire why it had not been presented at any meeting ?

Did your father not raise it at any of the meetings ?

Did you not ask for the file back ?

Did you not ask your father to maybe gather a few other sympathetic committee members atr try to approach the pardhan ?

Bibi ji,

Firstly it's unwise to assume things, one must confirm or check the facts.

Secondly Seva means doing service without seeking any reward (only ask from Almighty).

Thirdly don't let your ego come in the way of Seva.

Fourthly set an example and recognition will follow.

ਜਿਨਿ ਸੇਵਿਆ ਤਿਨਿ ਪਾਇਆ ਮਾਨੁ ॥

Lastly do you want to be recognised as daughter of a committee member or have a unique identity.

Choice is yours !

^I agree with this person about not letting ego come in the way of seva etc. Someone once said that people are reluctant to pay dasvandh or even taxes in this world and that this is laughable as it shows attachment people have to material things like money/ possessions. They make excuses like we need this and that when they are not items that are needed but wanted. We could eat roti and daal every night and give the extra money spent on other items to the poor.

We could only use the basics and give away our remaining wealth to the poor, that is unattachment.

Trust in god, whatever he does is for your own good, your status and ego is just as temporary as material objects and attachment to your status or material objects is wrong. God makes you who you are, you cannot do anything on your own. We have free will but even actions committed in free will are gods hukam, your every thought is part of gods hukam. Trust in him and let him lead you. When you have been slandered by everyone and have nothing to your name, no status, honour etc, you'll always have god and recognising this elevates you to the highest status. People will see this and feel this and be shocked that a person with nothing is still content, although many will try hard to deny it in this fickle age.