What Would You Do...

Sukhmanii

If (hypothetically) your son or daughter was suffering from a painful illness that would eventually, slowly and painfully kill them? If they cried in pain every day and it was just getting worse and worse, knowing that soon the pain will be unbearable and your child will die. If they looked at you begging you to somehow stop the pain and end the misery.

I guess my question here is, that while euthanasia is seen as wrong in pretty much all leading religions, do you think it's justified when done out of love? Would you really be able to see your child suffer day in and out, knowing their eventual death will be all the more painful? People say that it's not right because only God should decide when to take a life, but how do you know that God doesn't want you to act out of compassion and do it? Surely if you were to do it, it would have all been part of his big plan anyway.

That is just a made up situation used as an example.

this is very hard to answer bhenji, i know somone that has been there themselves, and asked for this to happen, begging their loved ones to end it all. but wat i say is i know its very very hard, ask the child to say waheguru, even if its in their mind. just keep repeating waheguru.

sorry but that is all the advice i can give, but to take somebodys life is rong, and also to see sombody hurting so much is unbearable. may waheguruji help them.

pain is a way for our karma to work itself out. euthanasia is maha paap

how is euthanasia a sinister thing to do?

if an individual is in a vegetable state what good is that to anyone? a) the person has no sense of being and is suffering and b) if they agree upon it then let it be.

please don't use your own 'sin measurement' in something you don't know much about. please don't turn views of sikhi into some extremist christian views next thing you know there'll be an outrage against stem cells in the sikh community because progressing is 'maha paap'.

euthanasia is terminating another's life. i didn't say it was sinister. but i certainly do believe someone would get very bad kaaram from doing it. i'm not turning sikhi into anything xtian, your ridiculous stem cell example has nothing to do with euthanasia. nor does not normalising euthanasia prevent our community from progressing.

Guest John Smith

Something I was told about ending life;

I was in Punjab with my Mama ji who is quite close with a Mahapursh, One day I was lucky enough to travel in the same jeep as the Mahapursh going on Yatra. on the way in the traffic we saw a buffalo calf run over by a truck. The calf was lying on its side on the middle barrier of the road with its 4 legs pointing towards the traffic (as is the norm in Punjab roads). The truck swerved to avoid a motorcyclist and drove over all 4 legs.

The calf was trying to get about and screeching in pain, but kept collapsing.

I got outa the car and thought the most humane thing would be to slit it's throat rather than it have an agonising death.

The Mahapursh ji objected, saying that I will have to endure the suffering that the calf was meant to attain.

Your allowed to help the calf, nurse it or ease the pain in what ever way- this will be good karam, but to end its life would mean that the pain it was due to suffer will be passed onto you.

Unfortunately in a country where human life is not valued the calf had no choice but to suffer and die in pain.

Also there's no difference in human or animal and the "rooh" soul is the same in all.

I don't know how this theory tally s up with Gurbani, but I found it interesting