Jot Or Diva?

Guest guptbhenji

it's an old tradition, in old times there wasn't any electricity so at night they used lamps with jots or divas. How ever even in todays time you have to put the jots and diva in Gurdwaras in India, because there is always the posibilty that the lights go off.

Another use of Jots are, that they are cleaning the environment. The air is getting cleaned and it is better than to use any perfums etc. It's said you get less sore throat when you do path or sing.

Others put the jots to get always an attention to guru. If you put a jot somewhere in the house where you pray or where you put your gutkas, you are automaticaly thinking and carrying more, because fire is still dangerouse...

There is maybe a more deeper history abt the diwa, but i just knew these things..

Bhul Chuk Maaf

In olden days a ghee jyote was only lit when you had someone special or someone very important coming to your house.

By lighting a ghee jyote when doing paath/simran you are inviting the most special person into your house - your physical house and your body house - that is Guru Ji. So by lighting a jyote you are anticipating Guru Ji to come when you start your paath.

WJKK WJKF

Waheguru ... i was think about this a few days ago...

I asked this question once in india on my travels with family... a Wise man told me this answer ....

Light is a devta .. so is fire and water and people worship them. Howwever when we light the deva it shows that even the devtee come and peicefully listen to the bani... they provide light, protection, and cleanse the area Bani is so pavitar that even Devtee listen and grasp at each sahbad.. its supreme.

(BTW if i make no sense please ignore me, i know wha i want to say but very bad at explaining myself).

Bhul Chuck Maf

WJKK WJKF

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jassa

In old times when there were not much sroops of guru granth sahib ... Jot was lit at most of the historical places and gurudwaras ... People who say its not needed or it was an electricity problem or any thing like that are trying to be logical ... but the truth is even harimandir sahib the main darbar sahib just had a jot for many years ... Read history afgans challenging sikhs if they are alive come and lit jot in darbar sahib and sukha singh ( famous for cutting the head of massa rangar ) dressed as muslim went and lit the jot ... and many sakhis like this ... Its the symbol of 1 god due to its shape and light not in sikhism but many other religions of world ... even some old Chinese religions ... flame is seen as a symbol for god ...