Help Please

Guest NonPanjabiSikh

Sat Sri Akal All

Firstly I dont know where to post this so sorry if its the wrong place.

Thanks from the start for any help.

I am seriously considering converting to Sikhism (still learning much) but im pretty much 80% Sikh now anyway. Im of non Panjabi roots.

Originally after studying religions I became a Muslim (born in a Muslim family but given freedom to chose my own path and told more about humanity then a select religion). I have no problem with the religion of Islam and still hold it dearly to my heart, its just that Sikhism appeals more to me and I think the practise of the Gurus in many ways are what true Muslims should be like anyway, the religions are so close Sikhism and Islam are much closer then Sikhism and Hinduism for example despite what people may think. Anyway

After reading about Guru Nanak Dev Ji and the Asa Di Vaar & Guru Gobind Singh Ji I fell in love with Sikhism. What I found great and amazing is that Sikhism is what my mum brought me up as without even knowing (traditionally not a very Islamic household) infact my family wouldnt even describe themselves as Muslims. What I find amazing is that everything my mum says I see parralels in with the teaching of Guru Nanak Dev Ji which draws me even closer to Sikhi. Obviously im by NO WAY comparing the characters it just you know, brings you that much closer. . I can speak only very basic Panjabi but I do hope to learn.

As an individual I respect all religions and beliefs (the way I was brought up) but may not necessarily agree with all religious practises.

Thats my story, basically I want to convert to be a Sikh because I pretty much am a Sikh in my own eyes right now (though I still drink & eat meat id like to cut it out in my own time). Im just, to be honest slightly worried about peoples reactions, having being a member of the Muslim community, I know it shouldn't bother me but im only human just what people think, say or being outcasted yano? Another major thing is my girlfriend who ive been with for 5 years and love dearly and wish to marry one day her parents wont allow her to marry a non Muslim, but as much as a I love her I cant live a lie when it comes to my religious beliefs - what can I do? I already wear a Kara a go Gurdwara, about to start growing my kesh but im just really confused man, just dont know what to do well I do but its hard to if anyone understands?

Lastly is there any procedure I have to take to be a Sikh, (not an amritsari as im not ready to take that step) but just a Sikh?

Im writing for any possible help? Anyone have or heard of similar experiences or anything that helped them? It would be appreciated..... May WaheguruJi bless you all and thanks for your time.

SatSriAkal

There is no converting to be done..

Guru Nanak Dev Ji spread the Truth that there is 'No Hindu, No Muslim'. What do you think he meant by that?

How can generation after generation claim to follow the teachings of the greatest Teacher of all time(Guru Nanak Ji), yet disregard his greatest message?

Guest NonPanjabiSikh

thanks lol for disheartening me to the maximum.. if that logic was true then sikhi would not have come into existence nor would great bhagats like kabirji have followed the gurus...

ps thanks to everybody for the kind words links etc :)

Lol, don't be disheartened.

Sikh means student. We are students of the Truth, not of a religion or sect. The truth is One- it is the realised Gurbani- bani is guru guru is bani.

Truth tennets have been taught by jesus and other brahmgyanis.

Jesus taught us Shaheedi and to accept hukam (the lords will)a long long time ago. He also taught us about naam/truth/holy spirit(which is all pervading) and about the kingdom of heaven on earth(Sachkandh on earth).

We are one, the truth is one, the path is one. The corrupted aspects and segregating factors of many religions cause many to deviate off the One path of Simple truth(he is all- all is One, the Nothingness is the reality when all is embraced as Him).

Gurbani teaches us that in the Satyug, all praciced truth(heaven on earth).

It is our psychology that causes kalyug, we have demonic psychologies hence we are living hell on earth(Kalyug, the darkest age). Truth practice is what sets us and this age free.

There were many bhagats before our gurus times who were set free and who had gurus. But our gurus came and freed the masses, they became gurus who spread the truth far and wide.

Guru Nanak dev ji, by telling us there is no hindu or muslim, reinforced the unchangable truth that there is no religion, He is not confined to any religion, sect, cast or creed.

He not confined to any image or form. He is everyone, everything, every where, he is your mother, sister, father, brother, enemy, friend, demon, angel, slanderer, saint.

Practicing this truth throughout our lives, we become weightless, we become free and fearless and all loving.

Love thy neighbour is not just for our own gain, it is Pure Sat. Love Him in everything everyone everywhere, as hard as it may be do not let your eyes fool you, its all Him- he is the illusion(maya) which keeps us tied in reincarnation- and he is the Guru that sets us free from it.