Ernestt Trumpp'S Book "Grammer To The Adi Granth"

i was recently reading Naveen Gurbani Vyakarn(the book is in the Sikhsangat scribd account) and came upon page 15 My link of the book talking about Ernest Trump in the foot note, who has been known in the Sikh World with his translation of Guru Granth Sahib Ji. in the Vyakarn book it says Ernestt trumpp wrote a "Grammer to the Adi Granth" published in 1873. See the foot note it also says the book is in a museum in Germany and Giani Harbans Singh went to Germany in 1994 and took pictures of the book and put them in his book.

Prof. Dr Harnam Singh Shan wrote a book "Guru Granth Koskaaree" where he put the scans in his book "Dr Shan has been able to discover these valuable unpublished documents, alongwith Trumpp's incomplete manuscript, entitled Grammar to the Adi Granth, 1873, the first-ever work on that very important aspect of the Sacred Volume, in the State Library and the University Library of Munich (Germany). These have been duly described and illustrated by him in his work under review.

Here is a review of Prof. Dr. Harnam Singh Shan's review of his book My link

Does anyone have more informatioin on Trumpp's book Grammer to the Adi Granth.

Also does anyone know where in America can I get Dr. Harnam Singh's Book.

But the "Grammer to the Adi Granth" needs to be scanned and put online to see what the thinking was at that time.

Don't know how I missed this first time around. Fascinating information. Thanks for sharing.

Its a bit embarassing that the europeans were the first to do these kinds of things before the sikhs took it upon themselves to do so

I hear that!!

Seems like we lost the grammar knowledge amongst all the fighting in the 1700s. Which was to be resurrected by the beloved Prof. Sahib Singh only a short (relatively speaking) while ago.

Don't be too harsh on our people though. The British invasion really set our education back.

Read this.

^^^^

Ha ha!!!

Why minus me? Like I did anything other than highlight a truth.....

Some people I tell you....

If you disagree try articulating your points. Who knows, you might persuade me towards your point of view?? Or maybe you don't have one, and that is why you don't post anything?

Forgive me if I am wrong but was it not Ernest Trump who studied SGGS Ji, and studied Sikhi but the translation and his findings were not correct and accepted by the Sikh scholars of the time.

Max Arthur Maucliffes academic work was more accurate. It was accepted by the Sikhs of the time.

Maybe Sikhs didnt get too Gramatiical before europeans influence, because before their influence and way of thinking, we believed gurbanee was beyound grammer, rather sampooran braham gyaan - view held by samarda's, from back in the days till now.

i mean theres panktee in Satguroo Jee, which violate Grammer rules, does this mean Maharaj Jee made an mistake??

don't get me wrong, grammer can aide too open arths of Pankteeaa(n), but grammer itself is not everything...

just daas few thoughts...

Maybe Sikhs didnt get too Gramatiical before europeans influence, because before their influence and way of thinking, we believed gurbanee was beyound grammer, rather sampooran braham gyaan - view held by samarda's, from back in the days till now.

I don't know. Grammar was important enough for the Guru's to add aunkars and siharis to denote grammar.

As I said before (and some morons minused me for!!??), I think our people had a period where they were so busy fighting for survival that the learning of grammar was put (understandably) on a lower prioty than fighting skills. Plus as Sikhi got more and more popular, it was mainly uneducated, working type people that swelled the ranks (blacksmiths, sweepers, farmers, carpenters etc.)

So there may have been a simplifying of teaching Gurmukhi to make this job easier for the mass of new recruits?

According to Surjit Hans, the practice of using aunkars at the end of words to denote case largely disappears from manuscripts after 1750, which might be a manifestation of this simplifying?

But grammar is important to Gurbani, as Prof. Sahib Singh proves.

i mean theres panktee in Satguroo Jee, which violate Grammer rules, does this mean Maharaj Jee made an mistake??

don't get me wrong, grammer can aide too open arths of Pankteeaa(n), but grammer itself is not everything...

just daas few thoughts...

I disagree, Gurbani is also beyond letters yet Maharaj uses them to convey the message to us. It only follows that if letters and words are being used there will be some grammar (vykaran) present. Its nothing do to with European influence, the Faridkot teeka references vykaran and even the Vedas have a grammar system. Unfortunately I have not yet been able to do my own study of vykaran though Guru willing I will start it soon, but could you please post which panktees you are saying violate grammar rules?