Living In One Religion Dominated Area

Guest Gupt

Guest Gupt

SSA

Well I have lived near East London which has quite a big muslim population .. Although I have lived here happily for many years. It does have its problems with crime ect and I was also thinking its mostly a muslim area. Hence not the best place for the next generation to grow up in.

Am I right in thinking this. personaly I know that an area has nothing do with how you turn out as a person. That is mostly up to one self.

But I think it would better to move into a an area that is more equally mixed. such as whites, asians ect. And I also remember going to school in this area that I am in as a youngster. And there was not many Fellow Sikhs to make friendships with . Just mostly muslims. It might sound a bit bad. But should I move to a more mixed area?

For those that know East London. I am currently living in Forest gate which does has some nice areas within. But I was thinking of moving closer to Essex such as Gants Hill or maybe Ilford. This area alos has the advantage that is is not as densely population as Forest Gate and there is more open space.

Thanks In advance

Brother Gants hill and Ilford are not any better in my view. You will need to go out further to get away from it. Gidea Park\HornChurch to be safer. Over the last 5 years or so, Ilford as become like Forest Gate, East Ham, Manor Park etc. Gants Hill is on its way to be the same. I am looking at a longer view for you. With the way things are going, The Whole of Ilford is not far from becoming like your current area. Hope this helps. Bull Chuk Maf Karni.

Years ago, someone once said to me that where ever Sikhs go. Pakistanis soon follow after. I've found this to be true. I noticed Sikhs are moving outwards as Wolverine suggests, but I imagine it wont be long before the 'shadows' follow Sikhs there too.

I understand the OP's concerns. Raising daughters in an area like that can have serious problems. But that being said, if people move to very gorafied areas you get the other problem of children becoming very Anglicised.

Maybe the OP should consider moving more westwards, like Hounslow, Osterly etc. There seems to be a lot of apnay there?

I should add though: The Muslims in the area around Forest Gate aren't half as aggressive and virulently antiSikh as other Muslim communities I've come across. I'm not saying every sullah is like that but you get what I mean. For example Paks from Walthamstow, Luton can be much worse.

Guest Guest

SSA

Well I have lived near East London which has quite a big muslim population .. Although I have lived here happily for many years. It does have its problems with crime ect and I was also thinking its mostly a muslim area. Hence not the best place for the next generation to grow up in.

Am I right in thinking this. personaly I know that an area has nothing do with how you turn out as a person. That is mostly up to one self.

But I think it would better to move into a an area that is more equally mixed. such as whites, asians ect. And I also remember going to school in this area that I am in as a youngster. And there was not many Fellow Sikhs to make friendships with . Just mostly muslims. It might sound a bit bad. But should I move to a more mixed area?

For those that know East London. I am currently living in Forest gate which does has some nice areas within. But I was thinking of moving closer to Essex such as Gants Hill or maybe Ilford. This area alos has the advantage that is is not as densely population as Forest Gate and there is more open space.

Thanks In advance

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Ilford is far better than Gants Hill in many ways.

Another option is Chigwell.

It has plenty of open space, few muslims and a Sikh School.

Check out http://www.ggskcollege.co.uk/index.html

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Guest Guest

Ilford is reletavily mixed compared to forest gate, manor park. What you do get though is Muslims who travel to ilford shopping shopping centre for shopping or generaly just comming the to ilford for cinema entertainment ect from other areas hence it may seem like theres more muslims living in ilford then there really is.

Guest gupt

thanks for the great advive guys. well i know what u mean about iford. seems to have gone down hill in recent years. One thing i find about chigwell and barkingside though is they seem a bit boring if that is the right word. But i do want to move to a nicer area and presumed gants hill would be something inbetween. I also didnt want to go to far from relatives that are based in east ham. what about seven kings. ive heard thats got alot of sikhs.

Guest Gants Hill massive

thanks for the great advive guys. well i know what u mean about iford. seems to have gone down hill in recent years. One thing i find about chigwell and barkingside though is they seem a bit boring if that is the right word. But i do want to move to a nicer area and presumed gants hill would be something inbetween. I also didnt want to go to far from relatives that are based in east ham. what about seven kings. ive heard thats got alot of sikhs.

Gants Hill is GREAT and there seem to be more Sikh families moving here recently which is excellent, rather than waiting for another community to fill up an area we should move there and make a strong sikh community. Also I don't really see it becoming like manor park or forest gate, the house prices here are too high for the kind of people you want to avoid to come here. Gants hill is much better than ilford, theres no comparison. There aren't THAT many muslims and those that are here are very different, most seem to be more liberal and affluent in which case their religion does not really matter as they are nice people. Like I said the sikh community is getting bigger here and there are also nice places like mata sahib kaur sikh academy down the road for the kids (and family). You also have easy and quick access to ilford, seven kings, barking etc. I would encourage a move to Gants Hill. Lets make it a Sikh area!! There is also redbridge next door which has a huge sikh population and is very nice.

Years ago, someone once said to me that where ever Sikhs go. Pakistanis soon follow after. I've found this to be true. I noticed Sikhs are moving outwards as Wolverine suggests, but I imagine it wont be long before the 'shadows' follow Sikhs there too.

I understand the OP's concerns. Raising daughters in an area like that can have serious problems. But that being said, if people move to very gorafied areas you get the other problem of children becoming very Anglicised.

Maybe the OP should consider moving more westwards, like Hounslow, Osterly etc. There seems to be a lot of apnay there?

I should add though: The Muslims in the area around Forest Gate aren't half as aggressive and virulently antiSikh as other Muslim communities I've come across. I'm not saying every sullah is like that but you get what I mean. For example Paks from Walthamstow, Luton can be much worse.

Thats because East London is mainly Bangladeshi NOT really Pakistani.

Hounslow is not really much better, Osterley which is down the road is nice, the area near Brentford Training ground, Jersey Road area. Also its near a tube station (Osterley), also itborders Heston, Hounslow and southall is like 10 - 15 mins drive. But it is so much nice area compaired to Hounslow/Southall. only thing is it does cover the heathrow flight path. SO atleast you get up for 5 because of the planes.

• 4 years later...
Guest Anisa zaman

I think an area where there is a mix of Asians and whites is best as you live in England so its best to be part of mainstream society and learn to strike a balance when retaining ones own identity or culture