The Sikh Mayor'S Inauguration

rinku_sikh

I've just been watching the Sikh Mayor's inauguration on both Sikh Channel and Sangat TV and have a question.

For those of you who have been watching you would have seen that this "event" was attended by our Jathdars's from India, or High Priests as the presenter announced.

The jathedar's sat in the audience with everyone else and stood when the British anthem "God Save the Queen..." was played at the beginning.

My question is, as they are our so called high priests and Jathedar's should the have been there? Would you ever see the Pope at such an event being the Christians high priest?

The Akal Takht Jathedar is meant to be the spokesman for the Sikh Panth and Spritual Leader. It just seems a shame that people who at the head of our religion are happy to mix in with the other people at such events. You would not see leaders of other religions doing the same.

Don't get me wrong, I being a Sikh am very proud of the new Sikh Mayor of Gravesham, I just don't think it was a place for our Jathedar's to be. It would have made more sense to maybe have an Akhand Path at a Gurdwara and allow the Jathedar's to honour the new mayor at such a programme with an saropa.