Asian Network Now!

_!_GUPT_!_

OK, looks like I'm able to listen to the rest of this show. Jarnail Singh raised some very good points and it was very frustrating to hear how some callers (and even the presenter himself in some cases) seemed to talk him down or talk over him. Suggesting that he (and Sikhs worldwide) should forget the past and move on is outrageous. No right thinking person would tell a Jew to ever forget about the Holocaust, how is it different for Sikhs?? As someone said already, 1 hour to discuss this topic is not long enough.

I get to tune into this discussion show a couple if times a week and whenever I have sent in an opinion via text I get a call from them asking me to go on live which I often cannot due as I'm at work. I have once taken part in a discussion which was based loosely upon religious camps (Gurmat Camps for us) where the question was is it correct in this day to run camps where there is emphasis on just 1 religion, I was able to give my opinion and was happy with the overall process.

The reason why people like Jasminder always find themselves on the show is because over a period of time he has contributed to the show and has become a regular.

If we want more of our opinions heard then we need to take part in general discussions as British Sikhs, providing articulated discussion and opinions on whatever is discussed to show that we are clued up on what's going on around us, that way when there is a discussion based upon Sikhi, comments will hold more weight than being brushed aside.

I cant recall what the topic was but I've heard Navreet Singh take part on the show, and Nihal saying that he'd like to have Navreet Singh back in the future as he'd expressed himself and his views as a Sikh so clearly and well.

It's up to us to step up and get our voice heard, sometimes it requires some exposure via taking part in random discussions/topics just so you have some credibility when taking part in a discussion that matters.