Need To Lean To Read And Write Punjabi

Hammertime007

you really dont need online courses, it literally took me 3 days... im guessing you already know how to speak punjabi, all you need to know is the alphabet, memorize it then start putting words together, look at how other words are written, memorize them, writing it is harder than reading because their can be different ways to write words, then have an elder in your famm teach you the special lines that go on top and bottom

I posted this in an earlier thread:

This is a response for recent post about learning Punjabi.

Please visit this excellent site for learning punjabi:

http://www.advancedc...keyboard1.html#

Firstly learn each alphabet along with its sound. Write each letter and test yourself everyday. Within a week or 2 you will become more familiar with the alphabets and sounds. Keep practicisng everyday. At first it will seem hard but gradually your mind will become more familiar with each letter and its corresponding sound. Your mind will slowly absorb the letters and sounds and reading Punjabi akhars (letters) will become easier. In no time you will be able to fluently read Punjabi.

The next step is to increase your vocabulary and this will take time. You will have to keep on reading and reading Punjabi articles, newspapers, books, Gurbani etc and learning new words.

For this I strongly reccomend purchasing this dictionary. This is by far the best dictionary I have come across:

http://www.bagchee.c...lish_dictionary

I was able to get mine from a local gurdwara. If anybody has a link where you can purchase this dictionary please post up.

Good luck!

Rabb rakhe

=============================================================

I highly recommend this link as it has pictures of the akhar (letter( along with the sounds) from bhagat Jaswant Singh ji. This site is great for learning Gurmukhi/Panjabi.

http://gursevak.com/video.htm - start with video - 'mukta'

Also -

Me and you both, Hammertime. I think we should have learn't when we were little kids. Our brains were better geared towards learning a new alpabet and written language then. Its harder now, what with our minds full of so much crap and so many other things to learn also. Its true what they say about looking back to your youth and thinking how stupid you were back then. My mum tried very hard to get me to go to Punjabi classes at the Gurdwara. I used to cry, shout and kick out every time she tried. I gave her so much grief, saying I didn't want to go. Boy, do I regret it now. They even did GCSE and a level Punjabi at my school. But I never chose it as an option. Boy, do I regret it now.

Still, I have still tried at this stage in life to learn how to read and write it though.....but failed. I think it would've been alot easier if I came to it as a total non-speaker and thus no baggage. The problem, you see, is that I am a fluent rural doaba speaker. The classical Punjabi I tried to learn to read and write always seemed more like Hindi to me....totally different to my spoken word.

WestLondonSingh ji

It is never to late to learn a new language and you have the advantage of Panjabi speaking parents.

Please go to websites mentioned above and in few weeks/months you will be able to read Gurmukhi/Panjabi.

Its never too late no way, please do make excuses veer ji. Spare just 1 hour a day to learning the alphabet and sounds and in no time you will be able to read Panjabi.

Satguru Mehar Karan