What Should Be Done In Free Time. Waheguru Simran Or Gurbani Ucharan

mirror

WJKK WJKF

Many of my friends always try of recite as much Gurbani in free time or even if they ahve 10 mins they do one sukhmani sahib Asthpati.

There is one of my friend who besides Nitnem always do waheguru simran and does not have any targets like 1 or 2 or 3 Sukhmani sahib paath daily but only waheguru simran.

Although both are good ways but just want to know suggestions or ideas.

To each his/her own!

There are no hard and fast rules on this. According to basic maryada, a Sikh should be waking up at before the breaking of dawn/amritvela, daily, and reading nitnem, and either before or after, doing simran, and repeating that at dusk with Raehraas, then Sohila before sleeping. Apart from that focus on swaas swaas simran, chanting, gurbani path, katha and veechar, and keertan according to your awastha, ruchi, prem, sharda, umang and sema. However the trick /secret is to translate all of these into revolutionising and turning your life, thoughts, actions and words upside down from what it used to be in your pre-Sikhi days.

Doing any amount of readings and prayers should not be a mechanical, un-understood task and exercise in piousness to gain a few more spiritual clubcard points, but rather a humble endeavour to beg for God Guru's mercy , grace and help as well as to transform the mindset into a gurmat based mindset where Gurujee reigns within majestically using such a sikh for His own glory!

A humble and honest relationship with Gurujee should be the aim of our prayer life. This will result in Gurujee guiding us to put the jigsaw puzzle of our gursikhi jeewan in place aacording to His hukum. Gurujee knows exactly how any one Sikh of his should meditate, what he/she should be reading and what they should be doing at the avastha they are in, and what they should be doing, to up that avastha to the next level . However its our humility that will result in Gurujee, favouring, to reveal this to us in ways more than one!

Hence lace your thoughts and prayers, as well as the passing moments of your life with continous ardas pulsating in your inner being to God begging for His guidance so that your gursikhi jeewan does not end up as a mental spin-off, of a cocktail of spiritual formulas put together akin to building a ladder to touch the sky!

Doing any amount of readings and prayers should not be a mechanical, un-understood task and exercise in piousness to gain a few more spiritual clubcard points,

Frankly speaking i think i do that. But how can i change that. I mean just reciting "waheguru" while i am doing some mechanical work or watching movie has no value

If you read my entire reply carefully, it answers your question as to, how not you will change it! but how Gurujee through his maha kirpa will change it as and when needed. Its the 'i' this and 'i ' that, that will be shifted as you travel on Sikhi dharam marag and slowly become a 'mar-jeevra' Sikh. Its in God's hands more than yours. Yours is to do your nitnem/simran/path/kirtan lovingly ever striving to understand the meanings of simran and gurbanee. Sikhi Marag involves putting your tender baby hands on the mighty strong ''bhug bal'' or arms of God and letting him save, succour, spiritualise and strengthen you according to His Hukum.

Gurbanee says 'nadar teri, ardas meri'. So do ardas, and doors will start opening by which you will be touched by Gurujee's grace and the chanan of Gur Maharaj. Make sure you are doing sehaj path of SGGS either from printed version or on the net with meanings, focus on a relationship with Gurujee by remembering Gurujee unseen perhaps to your senses and consciousness is ever present with you, and move away from a mindset involving religious formulas.

Making efforts to have translations at hand of Gurbanee, catapulting yourself into a relationship of prem, and prema-bhagtee with Gurujee, and pushing yourself inch by inch everyday to exercise and train yourself to be in the presence of God and Guru and reminding yourself during simran that it is essentially praising God everytime you say Wah-Guru will help shift things in your life over time. The biographies of saints you mentioned in your other post if read carefully, reveal how kemai(koshish) and kirpa meet like 2 rivers to become over time, a mighty majestic single river of immeasurable force! landing you right into God's kanth, kemal and kamal!