Leadership And The Sikh Nation

gurnam5

Wherever I go I sense a desire from Gur Sikhs that we need a new leader like Sant Jarnail Singh and that is the only way we can recover our self esteem and dignity. That his loss has left a gaping hole yet to be filled by somebody with the same kind of charisma, courage and insight. Yes, Sant Jarnail Singh was a true lion who helped to awaken a sleeping nation, but times have moved on and we need to look ahead not backwards.

I hear people talk about the failings of our leadership in Panjab. Well, that is not surprising since the only reason somebody becomes a political leader in Panjab or India is to line their pockets. This is true in other parts of the world as well. Look at Tony Blair; there was a documentary recently indicating that he has amassed a fortune in excess of £10 million since leaving office. I guess the big difference in UK politicians compared to those in Panjab and Indian is that the former make their money after leaving office whilst the latter begin the day they take up office.

I think what this state of affairs reveals something much deeper problem than simply the lack of a ‘good’ leader; it highlights how flawed the so-called parliamentary democratic system has become. In a media dominated world, the people that control the media get elected and around the world, politicians if not directly owning the media (such as Badal and Berlusconi) many have unwritten agreements with political parties.

And so it is very difficult for the ordinary person to have a real say and for this reason, we need to develop a completely new model. We need to connect the Sikh struggle for human rights, justice, peace and dignity in Panjab with wider struggles taking place throughout the world against the global economic system that enables the Badal’s of this world to amass so much wealth. I am not suggesting we all become communists. To the contrary, communism has demonstrated that it too was an inhumane system that resulted in the deaths of millions and the destruction of civil society and suppression of faith.

So, I say we reject both the current global neo liberal capitalist order that has led to huge disparities in wealth within and between countries as well as rejecting the old style Marxist/Leninist dogma which so brutalised whole populations. What we need to do is articulate a new vision for humanity based on the principles of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. For this we need Sikh scholars, intellectuals, journalists and activists to work together to present the ideas our Gurus gave us in ways that appear relevant to the world today. It is not enough to recount stories from the past; we need to link the past to the present. And therefore, like we have done in the past, we also need to engage in grass roots movements who are also asking the same questions as ordinary Sikhs in India and throughout the world. Questions of poverty, women’s rights, children’s rights, saving the environment, minority rights and so on.

The Sikh nation has suffered many tragedies during its short life span of some 500 years. But the greatests tragedy I feel is is that we have not been able to share with humanity the very thing that the Gurus implored us to do; the teachings of the Guru Granth Sahib ji. Why did Baba Guru Nanak Ji travel the four corners of the his world if it was not to spread the message? If simple meditation was the answer to all our problems, then why did Guru Har gobind ji establish the Akaal Takh and fight liberation wars. If Sikhi was only for the Gurdwara, then what was the need for Guru Tegh Bhadur Ji give his head at the court of the Mogul Emperor Aurangzeb? And why did Guru Gobind create the Khalsa if it was not to challenge the prevailing Bramanical racist caste system that system that sought to divide human beings. “Khalsa meri Jaat ar Paat”

I feel our time has come to clarify the relevance of Sikhi in today’s world and the struggles that humanity is facing. At a time when millions of people are rejecting the prevailing ideologies, we have a great opportunity to fill the vacuum with the wonderful teachings of Guru Nanak Sahib Ji manifest in the Guru Granth Sahib Ji and the lives of our 10 Gurus. If you don’t believe me have a listen to a recent speech given by Professor Akhbar Ahmed, the former Pakistani Ambassador to the UK in Washington DC http://www.sikhnet.com/news/pak-ambassador-akbar-ahmed-calls-guru-nanak-prince-interfaith-dialogue-appeals-healing-process

He says that “Guru Nanak gave us as a framework to be able to meditate on the beauty of God and beauty of unity; to be householders and yet think of Divinity; and finally to live as a community and to share our wealth. These are wonderful principles for any society. " Coming from such a towering intellect and non Sikh speaks volumes.

So, what are our next steps? Here are some of my personal suggestions:

1. Stop looking for a leader – leaders are not found, they emerge through action and there are plenty of people with calibre out there who will emerge when their time comes.

2. Stop looking to the Panjab for all the answers – Panjab is our homeland and we can never forget our roots, but it only represents a tiny part of the globe and I am sure Guru Nanak intended Sikhi for the whole of humanity.

3. Welcome Sikh intellectuals with open arms – all the major faith leaders except the Sikhs are very well educated. But we have almost made it a virtue in appointing ill educated jathedars and then we expect them to make pronouncements on the most complex of ethical and social issues. We are setting them up to fail, which suggests they are only appointed to act as puppets and fall guys for others.

4. Develop and support progressive Sikh youth movements and organisations that are seeking to connect Sikhs and Sikhi to wider concerns. Examples that come to mind are Khalsa Aid, United Sikhs, Sikh Doctors Association, BoSS.

5. Acknowledge the fact that within our own fold we have some individuals and groups that display hatred towards others and seek to challenge, isolate and the anti Sikh views they espouse.

6. Support the Sikh media – We are blessed with two wonderful Sikh TV Channels. They must not be allowed to fail. In a very short time they have truly created a revolution and have inspired many of us to come forward – so as well as financial support, become involved in the various programmes and programme making.

7. See the development of the Sikh Council UK and the recent Summit in Paris to establish a European Council of Sikhs as a historic opportunity to create structures for Sikhs to come together despite any differences we may hold.

8. We need to rediscover out duty to serve with the kind of spirit displayed by Bhai Kanayia. Guru Ji says ‘Na ko Beri nahi begana’.’ I have no enemies, for me nobody is a stranger’.

9. We need to rediscover the role and place of the Gurdwara, not as a place to perform rituals but as places of learning, sanctuary, healing and dialogue.

10. We need to invest in and create our own home grown ginais, kirtanis and parcharaks that are bi/multi lingual, who can related gurbani to the present day.

I trust you find my reflections to be helpful, but even if you don’t, can I thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to read what I have written. And if you feel I have made mistakes then please forgive me.

Panth da Daas

Gurnam Singh

Very well written and thought provoking article.

Each one of us who thinks he or she is a Sikh has a responsibility to show the world that Sikhism is the greatest religion in the world

and is the remedy to all the maladies affecting humanity today. We need to lead by example and become leaders in what ever sphere

we are in, be it studies, professions, business, politics, sports etc. Then only will RAJ KAREGA KHALSA.