Who Do You Love From Your Heart?

jss23

I would like to say I love God with my full heart.... But while reading Shabad Hazaaray it seems that I have not even learnt to love God yet!

ਮਾਝ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ਚਉਪਦੇ ਘਰੁ ੧ ||

Maajh, Fifth Mehl, Chau-Padas, First House:

ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਲੋਚੈ ਗੁਰ ਦਰਸਨ ਤਾਈ ||

My mind longs for the Blessed Vision of the Guru's Darshan.

ਬਿਲਪ ਕਰੇ ਚਾਤ੍ਰਿਕ ਕੀ ਨਿਆਈ ||

It cries out like the thirsty song-bird.

ਤ੍ਰਿਖਾ ਨ ਉਤਰੈ ਸਾਂਤਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਦਰਸਨ ਸੰਤ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਜੀਉ ||੧||

My thirst is not quenched, and I can find no peace, without the Blessed Vision of the Beloved Saint. ||1||

ਹਉ ਘੋਲੀ ਜੀਉ ਘੋਲਿ ਘੁਮਾਈ ਗੁਰ ਦਰਸਨ ਸੰਤ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਜੀਉ ||੧|| ਰਹਾਉ ||

I am a sacrifice, my soul is a sacrifice, to the Blessed Vision of the Beloved Saint Guru. ||1||Pause||

ਤੇਰਾ ਮੁਖੁ ਸੁਹਾਵਾ ਜੀਉ ਸਹਜ ਧੁਨਿ ਬਾਣੀ ||

Your Face is so Beautiful, and the Sound of Your Words imparts intuitive wisdom.

ਚਿਰੁ ਹੋਆ ਦੇਖੇ ਸਾਰਿੰਗਪਾਣੀ ||

It is so long since this rainbird has had even a glimpse of water.

ਧੰਨੁ ਸੁ ਦੇਸੁ ਜਹਾ ਤੂੰ ਵਸਿਆ ਮੇਰੇ ਸਜਣ ਮੀਤ ਮੁਰਾਰੇ ਜੀਉ ||੨||

Blessed is that land where You dwell, O my Friend and Intimate Divine Guru. ||2||

ਹਉ ਘੋਲੀ ਹਉ ਘੋਲਿ ਘੁਮਾਈ ਗੁਰ ਸਜਣ ਮੀਤ ਮੁਰਾਰੇ ਜੀਉ ||੧|| ਰਹਾਉ ||

I am a sacrifice, I am forever a sacrifice, to my Friend and Intimate Divine Guru. ||1||Pause||

ਇਕ ਘੜੀ ਨ ਮਿਲਤੇ ਤਾ ਕਲਿਜੁਗੁ ਹੋਤਾ ||

When I could not be with You for just one moment, the Dark Age of Kali Yuga dawned for me.

ਹੁਣਿ ਕਦਿ ਮਿਲੀਐ ਪ੍ਰਿਅ ਤੁਧੁ ਭਗਵੰਤਾ ||

When will I meet You, O my Beloved Lord?

ਮੋਹਿ ਰੈਣਿ ਨ ਵਿਹਾਵੈ ਨੀਦ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਦੇਖੇ ਗੁਰ ਦਰਬਾਰੇ ਜੀਉ ||੩||

I cannot endure the night, and sleep does not come, without the Sight of the Beloved Guru's Court. ||3||

ਹਉ ਘੋਲੀ ਜੀਉ ਘੋਲਿ ਘੁਮਾਈ ਤਿਸੁ ਸਚੇ ਗੁਰ ਦਰਬਾਰੇ ਜੀਉ ||੧|| ਰਹਾਉ ||

I am a sacrifice, my soul is a sacrifice, to that True Court of the Beloved Guru. ||1||Pause||

ਭਾਗੁ ਹੋਆ ਗੁਰਿ ਸੰਤੁ ਮਿਲਾਇਆ ||

By good fortune, I have met the Saint Guru.

ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਘਰ ਮਹਿ ਪਾਇਆ ||

I have found the Immortal Lord within the home of my own self.

ਸੇਵ ਕਰੀ ਪਲੁ ਚਸਾ ਨ ਵਿਛੁੜਾ ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸ ਤੁਮਾਰੇ ਜੀਉ ||੪||

I will now serve You forever, and I shall never be separated from You, even for an instant. Servant Nanak is

Your slave, O Beloved Master. ||4|

ਹਉ ਘੋਲੀ ਜੀਉ ਘੋਲਿ ਘੁਮਾਈ ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸ ਤੁਮਾਰੇ ਜੀਉ || ਰਹਾਉ ||੧||੮||

I am a sacrifice, my soul is a sacrifice; servant Nanak is Your slave, Lord. ||Pause||1||8||

When the above gurbani was composed - Guru Arjan Dev Ji's Letters

Guru Arjan Dev proceeded to Lahore where, his father (Guru Ram Das ji) had asked him to remain until called for and to take charge of the needs and education of the Sikhs in Lahore, his father's ancestral home. Two years later, feeling intensely homesick, Guru Arjan Dev Ji composed a poem of love and devotion and sent it to Guru Ram Das ji. This poem along with another one, sent a few month's later were intercepted by his elder brother Prithi Chand who made sure his father never received them. Finally Guru Arjan Dev Ji wrote a third poem marking it with the number 3 and gave strict instructions to the messenger to give it to the Guru personally.

Receiving this poem, Guru Ram Das ji seeing the number 3 sensed that there must have been two earlier letters. Aware of the jealousy of his eldest son he confronted Prithi Chand, asking him if he knew anything about previous letters. At first, Prithi Chand denied everything, but seeing the insistence of the Guru and the consequences of his refusal to obey him, he finally confessed his treachery and produced the two earlier letters. (Another story often told has the Guru sending someone to Prithi Chand's quarters who finds the letters in Prithi's clothing.) When Guru Ram Das ji read them, he was moved to tears by the humility and sincerity of his son Arjan's compositions.