Does Anyone Worry About Sikhi In The West

hgsingh

In da west ppl dont look at sikhi thy look towards nice cars big houses and women or men . They are absorbed in maya the enemy and dont even no it . If you ask a western sikh all population dosent no bout sikhi and if you ask them name 10 gurus or somthng bout sikhi thy dnt no that much but what they do no is all the hockey players in there citys team all da rappers all da movie stars but they only no bout 1 or 2 gurus names but there r sikhs that no soo much bout sikhi but stil majority knows nothing y because r parents dont teach n if they do we dont pay attention so wheres sikhi gonna come from

Guest KopSingh

So how can we make sikhi exciting and educate 90 percent sikhs out their

SPEAK IN ENGLISH!!! thats the way to go, u MUST BELIEVE me bro!

this is a post i put on another topic, its totally relevant 2 ur question!

"if you guys want inspiration talks in this country that can spark an entire generation of kids towards atleast learning our history and religion, then it has to be done in english. look at this video from an UNBELIEVABLE guy, called bhai sukha singh.

the first 35 mins or so are probably the best thing ive heard in terms of sikhi parchar, out of this world. look for more of his videos on youtube.

i remember being at monty panesars wedding (coventry) a couple of years ago, and the kirtan and speeches if i remember correctly were all in english, and everyones attention was towards the front, not at their mobiles or socks.

Old people are not gonna lose their sikhi, theyve seen far too much in their lives to lose it (partition/1984), but young kids are impressionable and can lose it in few years.

sikhs need a revolution, like 1984. when i was in high school, i NEVER saw a single hijabi, yet after 9/11, when muslims were under threat they had a wake up n a revolution, now hijabis n ninjas are everywhere.

just look at ppl like sikh unit, who are amazing guys, fought pak panthers in east london, defeated them, but at a price. they lost couple members to murders, prison sentences. They defended our young kids, with nothing in return, n yet the community was talkin crap behind their backs. after that they then started to do rap tunes in street slang english, which has helped alot of our boys n particularly girls. read the accounts of the ppl. clearly talking in english is the way to go."

In da west ppl dont look at sikhi thy look towards nice cars big houses and women or men . They are absorbed in maya the enemy and dont even no it . If you ask a western sikh all population dosent no bout sikhi and if you ask them name 10 gurus or somthng bout sikhi thy dnt no that much but what they do no is all the hockey players in there citys team all da rappers all da movie stars but they only no bout 1 or 2 gurus names but there r sikhs that no soo much bout sikhi but stil majority knows nothing y because r parents dont teach n if they do we dont pay attention so wheres sikhi gonna come from

I disagree with pretty much everything said there. In fact I think 95% of the comments on this thead have formed their images of Punjab from what their grandparents told them it was like in the 1960's. Basically, the whole title of this thread is wrong. Sikhi is thriving beautifully in the west.............The problem is it is dying a slow painfull death in Punjab. Generally, it is only when a Sikh from Punjab comes to places such as England, Canada etc that he/she for the first time understands what Sikhi is. And if its the pursuit of material wealth that you wanna base your argument on then you wanna go see what people in Punjab are like. They're not only willing to place their family in perpetual debt just for the pursuit of chattels but they'll nick the washers from your taps when you're not looking. In pursuit of being 'modern' they think its ok for their daughters to keep several boyfriends on the go and the concept of 'shame' is no longer in the vocabulary of these besharm folks to such an extent that daughters, sisters and even wives openly talk about their lovers.

And if you wanna base your argument on language...i.e the use of Punjabi...then, once again, the arguments here are upside down and inside out. Just as how America has kept alive the same English words that were once used here in England and then transported to the Americas while England has long sinced abandoned these English words in favour of French and geailic words, we Sikhs in the west are the guardians of the Punjabi language. We use words and expressions that went out of use a couple of generations ago in Punjab. On visits there, people are amazed to hear those words again. In Punjab, in contrast, we find Sikhs that aspire to be middle class favouring Hindi rather than Punjabi and the Sikh educated elite unable to complete any sentence in Punjabi without using a 40% English content.

So....in conclusion....here in the 'west' we have Sikhs who :

a) Have genuine love and pyar for Sikhi rather than simply going through the motions as they do in Punjab.

b) Have 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation western born Sikhs that have immense pride in the language they see as oldest, most beautifull ancient language in that sub-continent.

Twist the title of the thread around a little to ask if we should worry about Sikhi in the east and you have the makings of a legitimate thread.