Sikh Students- Apply For Parliamentors!

Singhstah

VahegurooJiKaKhalsaVahegurooJiKiFateh Jeeo,

Just wanted to let all Sikh University students know about a scheme called Undergraduate ParliaMentors, run by the Three Faiths Forum (3FF).

I am one of three Sikhs and the only Amritdhari currently on the scheme, in total there are about 45 students of various faiths and beliefs. Applications for next years scheme are now open.

As per the ParliaMentors website: http://www.3ff.org.uk/universities/, the scheme can be summarised as follows:

Winner of the UN Award for Intercultural Innovation, our leadership development programme equips aspiring leaders at university with the skills, experiences and networks they need to advance their careers

• See Politics in Action: Gain a unique insight into politics with mentor support from MPs and Peers.
  • Create Social Change: Work in trios to create social action projects with support from leading NGOs.
  • Develop Leadership Skills: Learn through direct experience, training workshops and expert-led events.
  • Build Lifelong Networks: Create new professional and personal links by joining an ever-expanding Alumni Network.

I have enjoyed being a part of this scheme greatly, it would be excellent if more Sikhs could get involved, I would encourage you to apply if you are a University Student interested in politics and interfaith relations. Once you get involved with 3FF there are many other opportunites that arise, for example I will soon be taking part in another scheme run by 3FF which involves speaking about my experiences as a Sikh in schools dominated by one particular faith.

I have enjoyed working with people of other faiths and beliefs, am looking forward to working with my mentor and its been great talking about Sikhi to others. 3FF have been extremely accomodating to me as Sikh, for example there was a residential induction for a few days, for this although vegetarian food was provided by the site, I was allowed to bring my own food from home as per my dietary requirements.

If you have any questions regarding the scheme please let me know. More info: http://www.3ff.org.u...toring/details/ and apply online: http://www.3ff.org.uk/mentoring/apply/ (yes thats me, and a really bad photo I must say!)

Uttam Singh

Paaji, please PM me your email add, I can send you my form and statement :)

In my personal statement I only put in my own skills and experiences, as the guidance stated I only needed to outline my suitability for the programme and I didn't feel I needed to add anything more. I covered my reasons for joining the course in answering the application form questions. Mainly how it would help me in both my career progression and other non-professional activities I am involved with.

• 2 months later...

Applications still open. I'm more than happy to help or advise anyone applying or thinking of applying. :D

Once again I would like to reiterate that I can vouch for the fact that this is a really amazing opportunity. There are so many possibilities... for instance my own trio is working on a documentary for schools, where we got to interview various people of faith. Was such a fun experience and as a bonus adds variety to my CV. I am very keen to see more Sikhs getting involved, it helps you but its also a seva to represent!