Bhai Balwant Singh Rajoana To Be Hanged

SOPW

BHAI BALWANT SINGH RAJOANA TO BE HANGED TILL DEATH ON 31, MARCH AT PATIALA (FORMER CHIEF MINISTER BEANT SINGH MURDER CASE) BREAKING NEWS

H S Bawa

Jalandhar, March 13-

Bhai Balwant Singh Rajoana, who had been awarded capital punishment in the case of murder of former Chief Minister Beant Singh shall be hanged on 31st of March at Patiala. His is a rare case where an accused in a murder case, after being awarded death penalty, had not only chosen not to go for an appeal but even kept on asking to hang him as early as possible.

Orders about his execution have been passed by Chandigarh Additional District & Sessions Judge, Shalini S Nagpal and sent to Jail authorities. He will be hanged till death at 9.00 AM on Saturday the 31st of March.

Bhai Rajoana who is in Patiala Jail has been served the orders, it has been learnt. Bhai Rajoana is at present lodged in Central Jail, Patiala.  

He was to present himself before Sh. Vivek Puri, Additional District & Sessions Judge Patiala in another case regarding recovery of RDX from him today but he was not brought into Court and the proceedings were reportedly conducted by way of video-conferencing. The case has been adjourned to March, 21, 2012.

Congress Leader and Chief Minister of Punjab Beant Singh was assassinated at the Punjab secretariat on August 31, 1995. Dilwar Singh, a suicide bomber, killed the former CM along with 17 others in the attack, which also left 18 seriously injured. A charge sheet in this case was filed in November 1995.

Six accused in the case including Bhai Balwant Singh Rajoanae were found guilty and convicted by Additional District & Sessions Judge (Chandigarh) Ravi Kumar Sondhi in the last week of July, 2007 for attempt to murder, murder and criminal conspiracy. The others who were convicted included Jagtar Singh Hawara, Shamsher Singh, Gurmeet Singh and Lakhwinder Singh. Another accused, Nasib Singh, was convicted under the Fire and Explosive Act. One of the accused Navjot Singh was acquitted.

Only two of the accused Hawara and Rajoana were awarded capital punishment while three were awarded life imprisonment.

As Bhai Rajoana had confessed his role in the case he refused to file an appeal before the Punjab & Haryana High Court, after he was awarded capital punishment by the Sessions Court at Chandigarh. He had in fact given in writing to the court that he does not want to go for an appeal. However Jagtar Singh Hawara and others petitioned High Court against the orders of the District & Sessions Court.

Punjab & Haryana High Court on October 12, 2010 commuted the death sentenced of Hawara while upholding the death sentence awarded to Bhai Rajoana.  

Beant Singh Murder case had hit headlines again in January 2004 when Hawara, Tara and Paramjit Singh Bheora escaped from Burail jail. The police later nabbed Hawara and Bheora, but are yet to arrest Tara.

While in Jail Bhai Rajoana had expressed to be blessed with ‘AMRIT’ and requested Akal Takht Jathedar Singh Sahib Giani Gurbachan Singh to come for baptizing him who specially came to the Jail to baptise him on June, 12, 2011 alongwith Baba Harnam Singh Khalsa, Chief of Damdami Taksal and president of the Gurmat Sidhant Parcharak Sant Samaj, former Akal Takht Jathedar Bhai Jasbir Singh Rode, Federation President Paramjit Singh Khalsa, Bhai Raghbir Singh Khalsa and Bhai Major Singh to fulfil the wish of Bhai Rajoana.

In a will signed on June, 17, 2008 in the presence of  his sister Kamaldeep Kaur, his brother in law Baljit Singh, his nephew Ajaydeep Singh, his niece Harnoor Kaur, Superintendent of the Model Jail Chandigarh, Navjot Pal Singh Randhawa, Medical officer, B. K. Salwan and other jail authorities Bhai Rajoana had expressed the wish that after his death his eyes be donated to Bhai Lakhwinder Singh Hazuri Ragi of Sri Darbar Sahib, Amritsar so that his eyes continue to have darshan of Darbar Sahib.

Bhai Rajoana, in his will, had said that after his death any of his body parts, be given to anyone who needs them.

Strongly criticizing Congress for doing great injustice to Sikhs Bhai Rajoana in an appeal issued on 3rd of January, 2012 had asked the panth to vote for Shiromani Akali Dal in the recently concluded Punjab Vidhan Sabha Elections.  

Bhai Rajoana is the son of late Malkit Singh and Bhajan Kaur. He was a constable with Punjab Police. He has an elder brother Kulwant Singh Rajoana and a sister Kamaldeep Kaur.

English Translation of the Will of Bhai Balwant Singh Rajoana.

Ik Onkar

Oh Kabir, there is nothing of mine in this life

Whatever is there, is yours

If I surrender what is yours, unto Thee

What do I lose or pay?

(Bhagat Kabir, Guru Granth Sahib)

Accepting the Omnipresence of Akal Purakh (God Almighty), I hereby swear on oath that after my death, all the parts of my body, which can benefit any person, are pledged to the highest temporal authority of the Sikhs, Sri Akal Takht Sahib.

It is my earnest wish that after my death, my eyes may kindly be given to Hazuri Ragi of Sri Darbar Sahib Harmandar Sahib, Bhai Lakhwinder Singh, who is blind, so that through him, my eyes continue to revere holy Darbar Sahib. For medical or other reasons, in case this is not possible, then my eyes may be given to any other needy person.  

In addition to this any other part of my body (heart, kidney or any other) which can be beneficial to any other person, may be given to that person.  

I am writing this Will without any coercion or compulsion and out of my own convictions and commitment and with the approval of the members of my family.

I am happily making this Will in the presence of my sister Kamaldeep Kaur, my brother in law Baljit Singh, my nephew Ajaydeep Singh, my niece Harnoor Kaur, Superintendent of the Model Jail Chandigarh, Navjot Pal Singh Randhawa ji, Medical office, B. K. Salwan and other jail authorities.

Signed

Balwant Singh Rajoana

Countersigned by

Kamaldeep Kaur

Baljit Singh

Ajaydeep Singh

Navjot Pal Singh Randhawa

Deputy Superintendent of Jails

17 June 2008

http://yespunjab.com/index.php/punjab-news/item/298-bhai-balwant-singh-rajoana-to-be-hanged-till-death-on-31st-of-march-former-chief-minister-beant-singh-murder-case