What Makes Someone A Sant?

Guest Questions

Guest Questions

This has been on my mind for a while. Why are there so many sants? Who labels these people as "sant" and why? Is there certain criteria someone has to fill to be a sant? Why are there no women who have been labelled as "sants"? Are they spiritually unable to reach the same level as the man?

slok mÚ 5 ]

Salok, Fifth Mehla:

ijnw swis igrwis n ivsrY hir nwmW min mMqu ]

Those who do not forget the Lord, with each breath and morsel of food, whose minds are filled with the Mantra of the Lord's Name

DMnu is syeI nwnkw pUrnu soeI sMqu ]1]

they alone are blessed; O Nanak, they are the perfect Saints. ||1||

slok mÚ 5 ]

Salok, Fifth Mehla:

ijnw swis igrwis n ivsrY hir nwmW min mMqu ]

Those who do not forget the Lord, with each breath and morsel of food, whose minds are filled with the Mantra of the Lord's Name

DMnu is syeI nwnkw pUrnu soeI sMqu ]1]

they alone are blessed; O Nanak, they are the perfect Saints. ||1||

Pretty Much, Sants duty is to do Akath Katha, on how to open the tenth door (Dasam Duaar) so there spirtual Avasta is written within Gurbani

aavahu santh piaariho akath kee kareh kehaanee |

Come, Beloved Saints, let us speak the Unspoken Speech of the Lord.

kareh kehaanee akath kaeree kith dhuaarai paaeeai |

He tells the story of the Unspoken speech, and tells Through which door will we find Him.

giaan dhiaan dhun jaaneeai akath kehaavai soe |

Giaan means Knowledge

Dhiaan means Concentration (No involuntary thoughts)

Dhun means Naam (aka Unhand Shabad this is 1st heard at the gates of God)

Akath means Vaheguru (that which is indescribable)

These are those who god chooses to spread Such (Truth)

Bhai Gurdas also speaks about those who do Katha about God without having Seen or having Heard Vaheguru.

sun sun aakhan aakh sunaaeiaa |2|

The basis of talk about the Lord is simply hearsay (and not the first hand experience).(2)

These are who you will find every where, ones who learn sakia and Gurbani and start telling us of Gurbani, but when it comes to explaining where Dasam Duaar is, or what is Unhadh Shabad, Brahm Jhoot, Naad, this is where they start uming are arring. Once you dont get a strait answer about the practical side of Sikhi, and how to achieve it yourself thats when you get up and leave.

Hope this clears some of your doubts

Guest Guest

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

The word Sant has been used in various context in Gurbani.

Meaning differs from one Shabad to other.

ਤੇ ਸੰਤ ਭਲੇ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਹੈ ਜਿਨ ਨਾਹੀ ਚਿੰਤ ਪਰਾਈ ਚੁਖਾ ॥(SGGS jeeo - Ang 588)

Sublime are those saints, the Guru's disciples, who care not a bit for any one, other than God.

ਉਹ ਗੁਰਸਿੱਖ ਚੰਗੇ ਸੰਤ ਹਨ ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੇ (ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ) ਹੋਰ ਕਿਸੇ ਦੀ ਰਤਾ ਭੀ ਆਸ ਨਹੀਂ ਰੱਖੀ।

********************************************************************************************************************

ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਸੰਤੁ ਸਤਗੁਰੁ ਸਤ ਪੁਰਖਾ ਜੋ ਬੋਲੈ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਬਾਨੀ ॥(SGGS jeeo - Ang 667)

The True Guru is the Lord's saint and the true person, who utters the Lord Master's Gurbani.

ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਗੁਰੂ ਮਹਾਂ ਪੁਰਖ ਹੈ, ਗੁਰੂ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਸੰਤ ਹੈ, ਜੇਹੜਾ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੀ ਸਿਫ਼ਤ-ਸਾਲਾਹ ਦੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਉਚਾਰਦਾ ਹੈ।

In general one has to do Sangat (become a companion) and learn from a Sant as to how to be One.

Answer to the other question might be Male-Female Brain Differences. Check out

http://www.doctorhugo.org/brain4.html

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

This has been on my mind for a while. Why are there so many sants? Who labels these people as "sant" and why? Is there certain criteria someone has to fill to be a sant? Why are there no women who have been labelled as "sants"? Are they spiritually unable to reach the same level as the man?

There's a test you have to take. If you get a 90% then you have reached the level of Sant. If you get 80% then you get to the level of Baba. And if you get 70% you get to the level of Bhai

:)

There are women who have reached the level of a Sant. Unfortunately, we do not hear of them much.

these is bibi kulwant kaur, she is an amazing woman who ahs very high spiritual levels.. wjkk wjkf

Guest Questions

There's a test you have to take. If you get a 90% then you have reached the level of Sant. If you get 80% then you get to the level of Baba. And if you get 70% you get to the level of Bhai

:)

LOL! I actually wonder why people are labelled with "Bhai" or "Baba" and how people decide what's appropriate!

Well I guess what I mean to ask is not what Gurbani defines as a Sant, but what people do. There are so many people named Sant so and so, countless names. Who decides who is given the title of "Sant"? And why do we need to call anyone a Sant, when we ourselves don't know what really goes on in anyone's head?

I suppose I'm sketpical to it. To me it seems like another way to abandon worship of the formless One and go about loving a physical person. Furthermore I don't undertand why it's always Sant [insert Singh's name here]. It's obvious that women have the ability to reach a high spiritual state, these bodies are meaningless - so why don't I ever hear of Sant so and so Kaur? NEVER. Do we still have a mentality that sees only men as occupying these roles? And doesn't this just show that people pick and choose who they think is holy and label them "Sant"?!

....Furthermore I don't undertand why it's always Sant [insert Singh's name here]. It's obvious that women have the ability to reach a high spiritual state, these bodies are meaningless - so why don't I ever hear of Sant so and so Kaur? NEVER. Do we still have a mentality that sees only men as occupying these roles? And doesn't this just show that people pick and choose who they think is holy and label them "Sant"?!

I guess it would take progressive and understanding parents to "allow" their daughter to pursue a lifetime of meditation, not so that the female in question seeks Sant-status but merely to connect with Waheguru in ways that males decide that particular path is the one for them.

Is it possible to be a female Sant AND be married with children?