The Importance Of Larreevaar

ਸਤਿਗੁਰਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ

The Importance of Larreevaar

Khalsa Jee when it comes to respecting Gurbani the highest form of respect we can give our Guru, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee is accept its True Form, which is the Larreevaar Form. For those that do not know what Larreevaar is: it is how Gurbani was originally written by our Gurus. Instead of there being spaces in between each word, all the words are connected for example like this:

sukhmani+start.jpg

The above picture is from A Saroop of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee written in the 18th Century. A Pad Chhed saroop (Pad Chhed is when the words are split up) looks like this:

1015904-medium.jpg

Whatever the Guru did is for our betterment, it is to help us. So when the Guru Decided to write Gurbani in Larreevaar Format, it was up to the Guru to decide and it is up to us to believe and follow that command of the Guru:

ਸਤਿਗੁਰਕੀਬਾਣੀਸਤਿਸਤਿਕਰਿਜਾਣਹੁਗੁਰਸਿਖਹੁ

O GurSikhs, know that the Bani, the Word of the True Guru, is true, absolutely true.

Whatever Guru Jee does is perfect, because he himself is perfect:

ਪੂਰੇਕਾਕੀਆਸਭਕਿਛੁਪੂਰਾਘਟਿਵਧਿਕਿਛੁਨਾਹੀ ॥

All that the Perfect Lord does is perfect; there is not too little, or too much

So for a Gursikh it is natural to accept what the Guru has done, and not change anything. Guru Sahib gave us Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee which is perfect nothing can be added on and nothing can be taken out. So when Saroops of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee are printed and they are not Larreevaar it is a great disrespect to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee. We are telling Guru Jee, sorry Guru Jee, we didn’t like how you were originally, so we changed you. Can you imagine going up to Guru Nanak Dev Jee and saying Guru Jee sorry but your kes are getting too long, here can you cut them a little bit so I will like them? NO! Such an act is horrendous to even think about then, how can we go up to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee who is the very light of Guru Nanak Dev Jee and say hey Guru Jee you are too hard to read (Larreevaar as all the words are joined) it would be much easier for me if the words were split up. When we do this we are committing a big sin! Nothing is worse than disrespecting your Guru. So for this reason it is a humble appeal to Gursikhs to only do Parkash of your True Guru, Satguru Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee Maharaj in their True form, of Larreevaar. If only we take a stance against the printing and doing Parkash of Pad Chhed will this epidemic stop. It is not wrong to say that Larreevaar Saroop is our true Guru, because it is. Our Guru is the saroop that was given Gurta Gaddi in 1708 by Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee, which is Larreevaar. So for a Gursikh to say that only Larreevaar is the True Guru and not Pad Chhed is only the truth and nothing else. Pad Chhed Saroops are deserving of respect as they still contain Gurbani, but they cannot be called our Guru.

Sant Giani Kartar Singh Jee Khalsa Bhindranwale 13th Jathedar of the Damdami Taksal whilst doing Katha says says that doing Pad Chhed of Gurbani is "Atyant Mana Hai", and says that "eh manmat hai, eh nahee karnee chaeedee". They say this practice is extremely forbidden, these words are reminiscent of Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Jee's words who said that doing Pad Chhed is "Maha Manmat".

If such amazing Gursikhs like Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Jee and Sant Giani Kartar Singh Jee were so against this disease of Pad Chhed then we should put all our efforts into stopping Parkash of Pad Chhed and doing Parkash of only Larreevaar, which is our True Guru!

May Guru Jee bless the Panth with the ability to only do Parkash of Larreevaar Saroops.

For Further information regarding Larreevaar Saroops please refer to the following:

http://www.tapoban.org/article/51

http://tapoban.org/T...20is%20Lost.pdf

http://www.gurmatbib...nts.php?id=1931

Vaahiguroojeekakhalsa Vaahiguroojeekeefateh

This is a very important issue, Thanks for GSingh ji for creating this post.

Since the first pothis were written of Gurbani to the formation of the Aad Granth (Kirtarpuri Bir likhari was bhai sahib bhai gurdas ji and dictated by Guru Arjan Dev ji) to the Damdami Saroop (Guru Granth Sahib ji that was given Guruship by Guru Gobin Singh ji and likhari was shaheed bhai mani Singh ji), bani was in Larivaar format ie all words were joined up.

Then for at least 200 years all the handwritten saroop of Guru Granth Sahib ji were in Lareevar format, you will not find 1 saroop that was handwritten that had separated words (pad ched). Then in the early 1900s, I think it was the SGPC had the audacity to seprate the words of Gurbani and create the pad ched saroop that is now installed in nearly every Gurdwara worldwide bar ithihaasak Gurdwara's such as sri Darbar Sahib that still to this day does parkash of only lareevar saroop and this ia also a hand written one.)

Our Guru Sahibaan could have easily created a pad ched saroop if they wanted, this would have been no problem. But our Guru Sahibaan chose not to seperate the words and write on only in Lareevar (joined up format).

I think it is ok to have pad ched gutka of Gurbani for beginners however a saroop of Guru Granth Sahib should be lareevar only. Bhai Randhir Singh ji and I have read that Sant Samaj of that time urged the panth to print/write only lareevar Guru Granth Sahib's.

so what is the soultion then guys??

we have pad ched as it is at present worldwide -- don;t forget that is not a total negative - sangatan have increased worldwide too-- and so have the number of paaths at Gurdwaras on pad ched saroop. To bring radical change we need people to be aware of lareevaar saroop -easiset is to check this app "SUNDAR GUTKA on the iphone - beautifully done as it allows you to switch to larivaar mode as you read Gurbani --

However to educate the masses we need professionals (supported by insitutions) in every gurdwara who know how to give proper santhia from larevaar saroop to bring about change -- about 100 years away i think !

What is needed to bring back Larreevaar Parkash is to educated the masses that don't know the difference. Any Gursikh that has pyaar for Guru Sahib can be easily convinced about this issue. After that all Gurdwara Sahibs need to be convinced to do Parkaash exclusively of Larreevaar, but this is the hard part. I have personal experience with this it is very hard to get a committee to do this. Many of the Granthis arnt able to read Larreevaar, in my opinion they aren't Granthis at all. What kind of Granthi can't read his own Guru? It is a difficult task but if everyone can start pressuring their local committees we can make a big change.

Now can everyone list out the Gurdware in their area that only do Parkaash of Larreevaar?

In BC I know that Khalsa School Gurdwara Sahib only does Parkash of Larreevaar.

In Ontario I Know Tapoban Sahib Only does Larreevar Parkash.

I have also Heard Sri Guru Singh Sabha in Malton only does Parkash of Larrevaar as well can anyone confirm this?