Affordable Interest Rates To Debt Trapped Farmers

Hey guys,

I was reading about the alarming trend in suicides among debt ridden farmers (http://www.tribuneindia.com/2012/20120514/punjab.htm#3),

I was wondering what the interest rates for poor farmers is. I remember hearing somewhere it is up to 30%, which is ridiculously high. I am not really sure though.

Is there some charity that gives farmers reasonable rates (inflation + 0-3%)? If so, I gladly donate to it.

If not, why not start our own?

Doesn't matter what the interest rate is. The fact is that most of the borrowing is done for stupid things :

1) Having a lavish wedding party for your daughter

2) Giving it to an urban agent to send your son on a trip whereby he hangs on to the bottom of a truck before being finally dumped in the Congo.

3) Buying an unnecessay and mega expensive gas guzzling jeep or SUV which will simultaneously emit enough harmful toxins to change the eco-system enough to ruin the farmers bread and butter anyway.

4) To give to your son because he is threatening to kill himself unless you give him money to buy drugs.

Forget the interest rate. Lets give the parasite urban money-lenders the damn good kicking they deserve and work towards changing the culture of Punjab. We westerners do that by setting the right example.