Want to learn more

Guest Qdot

Hi. I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now and this is my first post.

I was wondering for a while now about Sikhism. I am a Sikh (well I am how I define..) but I have recently wanted to learn more. Being a regular London guy, I go Gurdwara often (would love to go more!) but when I think about I do some things right and other things "wrong"

So on my journey to learn more I now read paath on my phone but in English since I can't read punjabi.

The question I had was...on my phone is reading this disrespectful?! Is reading whilst on tube to work bad?

Sorry if these are silly questions...I just thought you guys could share your opinions and views. How else can I learn given I can't read punjabi?

Also is there a post on here on how modern youth (me) are seen? For example...people eat meat, listen to music. If we are all equal and the same then am I less of a Sikh than someone else? Why would I compare myself? When instead I should focus on my journey?

Try wake up an 1 hour or so earlier do ishnaan (small shower and you must recite waheguru throughou it) start of with Japji sahib. I found listening to a tape and reading alongside a gutka helped me memorise it. You should do jaap too (meditating) for about 5-10 mins since you must have a schedule. After Japji sahib you can do chaupai sahib which is quick to do and its easy to memorise. Also try find an english translated gutka and read the translations. After do an ardaas for gursikhi jeevan and you should be done. :) and about Punjabi try ask at the gurudwara or ask family members. :)

Good luck!!

You should understand that reading paath is for your benefit.

If you read it everyday, then its teachings become a part of your thought process.

Reading on the phone isn't bad.

Don't worry about others. Focus on your own path.

(Try to learn how to read Punjabi, if you have the time. Some English translations are a bit dodgy).

Hi. I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now and this is my first post.

I was wondering for a while now about Sikhism. I am a Sikh (well I am how I define..) but I have recently wanted to learn more. Being a regular London guy, I go Gurdwara often (would love to go more!) but when I think about I do some things right and other things "wrong"

So on my journey to learn more I now read paath on my phone but in English since I can't read punjabi.

The question I had was...on my phone is reading this disrespectful?! Is reading whilst on tube to work bad?

Sorry if these are silly questions...I just thought you guys could share your opinions and views. How else can I learn given I can't read punjabi?

Also is there a post on here on how modern youth (me) are seen? For example...people eat meat, listen to music. If we are all equal and the same then am I less of a Sikh than someone else? Why would I compare myself? When instead I should focus on my journey?

Really hope by "modern" you don't mean cut-hair/clean shaven ;) because if so you have much to learn!