How to take Hukamnama from SGGS ji?

Simran9

sangat ji,

I want to know how did the Guru's say the bhai ji is supposed to take Hukamnama from SGGS ji after ardas?

I ask cuz I think it should be done a particular way but I see the bhai jis doing something totally different.

I think when bhai ji wants to take Hukamnama, he should respectfully close SGGS ji, as in take both sides of the cover and bring it up to get the angs together........and then pick a spot at random and respectfully open SGGS ji at the random ang. This is what I have been brought up to believe.

But this is how bhai ji's do it:

after ardaas when bhai ji moves back the rumaala, he moves some angs to the rght, then some angs to the left, then maybe again some angs to the right......he keeps doing this few times until he has found a "good" Hukamnama. Then he reads the Hukamnama that HE hand picked.

I feel this is wrong way to get Hukamnama since it is not taken at random, instead the bhai ji flips angs back and forth till he has found a shabad he had in mind perhaps.

so how is it SUPPOSED to be done?

thanx

^_^

How about this idea:

my bibi says that when taking a hukamnama before 12pm, it is taken from the panna on this side. if hukamnama is taken after 12pm then hukamnama is taken from that side of the panna. I don't remember which panna goes with which time. maybe from left side before 12pm and from right side after 12pm.

this sounds non-gurmat to me, but then again i dunno for sure.

anyone heard of this? what u think?

btw, she said that hukamnama can not be found on every panna of SGGS ji. she said that sometimes there is a "lamee vaar" and the bhai has to turn several panne before he gets to the beginning of a shabad.

is this true? my baba said no. :lol:

how many hukamnamas are possible from SGGS ji?

thanx

^_^

Some people believe that if its morning time, the hukamnama should be taken from the top, if its afternoon, it should be taken from the middle, and if its nighttime then from the bottom.

They say that if you just take it from the top left side only, like some people do, then the shabads in the middle would never become hukamnamey.

Still other people flip to a random ang with their eyes closed, and then read the first shabad that their eyes fall on as the hukamnama

Some people believe that if its morning time, the hukamnama should be taken from the top, if its afternoon, it should be taken from the middle, and if its nighttime then from the bottom.

They say that if you just take it from the top left side only, like some people do, then the shabads in the middle would never become hukamnamey.

Still other people flip to a random ang with their eyes closed, and then read the first shabad that their eyes fall on as the hukamnama

hmmmm.....thats a new one. :lol:

i thought hukamnama begins at the beginning of the shabad, so it can't be taken from the middle or bottom of the panna. unless the panna that is picked has the shabad starting on the previous page.

over here the bhai ji has his eyes wide open when taking hukamnama the way i think is wrong way.

come on, need more input here. more ppl are busy with the other sections tongue.gif

the way i take it is the last thing gurjeet kaur described

i close my eyes, open guru granth sahib jee to a random ang, and keep my eyes closed and in my mind focus on the ardas of "please bless me with a hukam guru jee"

then i slowly open my eyes - whatever akhar i see first, i go to the start of that word, then the start of that shabad, and i use that shabad as my hukam

it feels like to me that only guru sahib can control my actions while my eyes are closed - and also only guru sahib can control where my eyes fall on the page - so this feels to me like leaving it up to guru jee and less up to me ..

i don't know - i might be wrong (99% of the time i am wrong)

waheguru ji ka khalsa,

waheguru ji ki fateh!

Guest noonespecial

If you read Se Kineya by Sant Seva Singh which outlines the life of Sant Baba Harnam Singh Jee (Rampur Kheray) in the book it states that the sangat asked this exact same question to Baba Jee.

Baba Jee did ardaas in front of Guru Granth Sahib Jee and had the darshan of Baba Buddha Jee in which he was told that:

1. Mool Mantar should be repeated 5 times.

2. Then a small thukh should be read (eg. so kaho tul gur saiveeyai...)

3. Then a small number of Angs (with great respect) should be turned either left or right and then the first shabad on the left side Ang should be read.

- if the Ang contains a shabad which is actually started on the Ang on the PREVIOUS Ang then the shabad on the previous is the Hukam of Guru Sahib.

Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Jee Kee Fateh