Bandi Chhor Diwas

Guest confusingh

Guest confusingh

I have a question about Bandi Chhor Diwas. Yesterday was Diwali and i was really confused on whether i should go gurudwara or not for that reason. As Bandi Chhor was already earlier a few days ago, although it was Baba Deep Singh Ji shaheedi. I know no reason is good enough reason to go to the gurudwara anytime or place. But seeing how much we celebrate 'Diwali' in Sri Harmandir Sahib etc i thought i was wrong not to be partaking in the festivites of the day. Someone told me Bhai Mani Singh Ji became shaheed so we can go to harmandir sahib on 'Diwali' this doesnt sound right to me or at least a half story. Is there some sort of direct Sikhi link to the day of 'Diwali' itself. I want to know the historic significance and learn more about the actual day in a Sikhi context. Dont get me wrong I know some will say im reading too much into it and if i am thinking all this its wrong cos its stopping me from seeing Guru Ji but im just really confused on the significance of this day? Sorry if Ive confused anyone else, just want to better my knowledge.

Guest ASinghKhalsa

basically, in very very short hand, it follows as thus.

The 6th Guru SAHIB SRI GURU HARGOBIND SAHIB ji was imprisoned at gwalior prision ( u can still see the plac today , a gurdwara sahib now stands there) from which there was no return. once you get sent there, only the dead body would leave. the guru was the only one to leave the jail and not alone but with 52 Hindu Kings ( india was divided into kingdoms). when arrivig back at HARMANDIR SAHIB, sikhs and other guru lovers lit many lamps and did fireworks to celebrate and welcome the GURU back to his home.

It was a coincidence that it was te hindu festival of divali on the day of arrival. therefore bandi chhor divas is what sikhs celebrate but it is a total coincident that the day conicides with divali. on this day both Sikh and hindu brothers and sisters celebrate the day.

also, in a different year on the same day, bhai mani singh was cut piece by piece by the muslim rulers (read about why on internet).

also in a different year, baba deep singh ji fought with his head in one hand and his 18kg dounle edged khanda sword in the other adorning a 60 kg cheat body armour at the age of 85!!!! the khanda and chest armour can be seen back home.

also on this day in a different year, MAHARAJA RANJIT SINGH JI the great ruler o the Sikh Kingdom was born!!!!

need more info, jus ask :) Vjkk Vjkf!!!!

The way I've always understood it is that many Sikhs came from Hinduism. To help keep them within Sikhi and stop them from going back to Hindu rituals, Guru Ji allowed certain events to happen to coincide with Diwali and Holi. Guru Ji's arrival at Amritsar on the same day as Diwali was, IMO, not coincidental. Instead of remembering Rama, you remember Guru Ji instead. Similarly, Holla Maholla is on the same day as Holi, so instead of throwing powder, you have battles.

On any day of significance like this, there is more sangat at the Gurdwara and this is where you should spend some time.

I went to the Gurdwara on Diwali. I lit a candle. In doing so, I remembered Guru Ji and how He is the True Light that dispels the darkness of ignorance, of kaljug and of ego. When I used that candle to light another, I remembered how Guru Ji moved from Guru Nanak to Guru Angad.

Use every opportunity to remind yourself of God, of Guru Ji, of those Sikhs who walked this earth before you and of Sikhi.

• 3 weeks later...

This is very interesting indeed but I was told something else happened on the same day as bandi chhor and I am very anxious to know ,I was also told there was a battle a huge one on the same day