SIKH MISSIONARY? HYPOCRITES?

Singh MC

Missionary in the sense 'going out to people and trying to convert them'...i don't think Sikhs do that. I am not sure if this is allowed or not...but i haven't heard of any specific commandment by Guru Sahib for not doing this, however this type of work is usually linked to pressure, and in that case it is not allowed!

but there is more to it..have you heard the jewish saying:

we don't do missionary work, but we have a mission

it is something similar with the Sikh missionary schools etc. they are meant for teaching of Sikh principles, Rehat, Gurmat, Keertan etc...

basically the same as Taksals. However Taksal/Akharas can be called 'traditional' learning, but missionary schools/colleges is like modern...but the mission is the same. they differ upon Gurbani-viakaran, a bit on Rehat etc..

the goal is to have trained Parcharaks for Gurdwaras, and SIkh societies that can become Granthis/Gianis etc.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Khalsa Jee,

There is nothing wrong with the word missionary, it can be defined as - "one sent to spread his religion or philosophy". The Sikh Missionary Society (U.K.) do not go out to preach to people of other faith, but if these people approach us to learn about Gurmat then we help them.

Here is a quote from the website -

"The aim was to provide an insight into the Sikh religion, culture and history for younger generation through true stories (sakhis) from the lives of the Ten Gurus (Guru Nanak to Guru Gobind Singh 1469-1708). Over the last 35 years (1969 - 2004) many sewadars have worked very hard to achieve this aim. It caters to the needs of not only the Sikh youth, but also the youth and adults of other faiths who want to know about Sikhism. Most of the literature on Sikhism, Sikh History, tradition and culture is supplied free of charge to anyone who is interested in Sikhism. Our other means of fulfilling the mission is by holding Gurmat camps, seminars, Kirtan and Panjabi Classes."

ps. The Website has just been updated and now contains over 80 Full Publications -

www.sikhmissionarysociety.org/sms/smspublications

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• I agree we're not born with sin like the Christians think. Also I agree we have effects of karma. But Gurbani does state that the body contains both sin and charity (goodness): ਕਾਇਆ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਪਾਪੁ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਦੁਇ ਭਾਈ ॥ Within the body are the two brothers sin and virtue. p126 Actually, we do need to be saved. Gurbani calls this "udhaar" (uplift). Without Satguru, souls are liable to spiritual death: ਜਿਨਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨ ਭੇਟਿਓ ਸੇ ਭਾਗਹੀਣ ਵਸਿ ਕਾਲ ॥ p40 Those who have not met Satguru Purakh are unfortunate and liable to death. So, yeah, we do need to be saved, and Guru ji does the saving. The reason Satguru is the one to save is because God has given Satguru the "key" (kunji): ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਹਥਿ ਕੁੰਜੀ ਹੋਰਤੁ ਦਰੁ ਖੁਲੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰੈ ਭਾਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੭॥ In the True Guru's hand is the key. None else can open the door. By perfect good fortune the Guru is met. p124
    • That's unfortunate to hear. Could you give any more information? Who was this "baba"? He just disappeared with people's money? Obviously, you should donate your money to known institutions or poor people that you can verify the need of through friends and family in Punjab.
    • Sangat ji,  I know a family who went Sevewal to do seva sometimes end of 2019. They returned last year in great dismay and heart broken.  To repent for their mistakes they approached panj pyaare. The Panj gave them their punishment / order to how t make it up which, with Kirpa, they fulfilled.  They were listening to a fake Baba who, in the end, took all the "Donations " and fled sometime over a year ago. For nearly 4 years this family (who are great Gursikhs once u get to know them) wasted time and effort for this fake Baba. NOT ONLY this one fam. But many, many did worldwide and they took their fam to do seva, in village Sevewal, city Jaitho in Punjab. In the end many families lost money in thousands being behind this Baba. The family, on return, had to get in touch with all the participants and told them to stop.  I am stating this here to create awareness and we need to learn from whom we follow and believe. It's no easy but if we follow the 3 S (Sangat, Simran and Seva) we will be shown the light. As I am writing this the family in question have been doing the same since 2008 onwards and they fell for this Baba... it is unbelievable and shocking.  This am writing in a nutshell as am at work on my break so not lengthy but it deserves a great length.  Especially the family in question, who shed light on youngsters about Sikhi 20 plus years!! 
    • Giani Kulwant Singh Jawaddi Kalan uses simple Punjabi.
    • Leaving aside Guru ji, the general question of taking afeem (opium) in limited quantities for war/medical wounds is simply unproblematic. When you go to the hospital, they give you morphine. What do you think morphine is? It's an opiate. Even codeine (cough syrup) is an opiate! Ever had a cough? Granted, it is against Gurmat to take opium or other drugs for the fun of it.

Important Information

Terms of Use